Question How can I share my plugin presets?

brasileirinho

Reactions
Hello there!

I've been playing for some weeks, and I noticed VAM has a very steep learning curve. I wanted to make it easier for new players to setup the game by sharing my plugin presets, because some people may give up on the game because of it's complexity. (I almost did)

I understand that choosing the plugins you want to use is a personal choice, but for the new player, they will have no idea which plugins to get and how to set them up properly (neither do I, but I think I can help someone with zero experience). So, while not being the optimal alternative, getting plugin presets can be better than getting nothing at all.

I'm not sure if I should use the 'plugin' or the 'guides' section. Because if people start uploading presets there, it may create some havoc to that section. So, what is the best place to upload it?

Upvote 0
I agree with SPQR in the Other category.
The plugins category is for plugins, which presets are not, and the Guide category is mainly for written content.

It's quite a subjective resource, but then again so are looks. I'm curious on what those plugin presets you want to share would be like? Could you expand on what they would be?

Upvote 0
I agree with SPQR in the Other category.
The plugins category is for plugins, which presets are not, and the Guide category is mainly for written content.

It's quite a subjective resource, but then again so are looks. I'm curious on what those plugin presets you want to share would be like? Could you expand on what they would be?
Initially I want to include some things that most people would want in their game:

- GivemeFPS plugin: configured in a way that does not look garbage and give playable performance on lower end systems. (I own an RX570)
- UIAssist: I'm configuring some buttons for quick access to change looks, clothing, poses
- SceneNinja: To automatically load character plugin presets
- Insertion helping: Using the AutoThruster plugin with UIAssist to make everything work with a single click (hopefully)
- Some other plugins to make the character less robotic: VamMoan, glance, and some others

But I still have some stuff to do. I still need to check which plugins allow distribuitions, solve some things that aren't working properly, polish things that are functional but look garbage, and bugfixing.

Don't get me wrong. I'm a total noob at this. But maybe I can help a few new players. As a new player myself, I found many in depth guides to do everything I wanted, but I never found a 10 minute setup guide to get in action ASAP.

If there are any objections to that, please tell me. I will give credit to every author and respect their release license.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I'ts very commendable to provide help and tips to new users, thank you for the initiative.
If I could offer some pointers, perhaps you could share the presets in different options for different needs. For example:
  • GiveMeFPS is a bit dismissible for those with powerful machines and would potentially had more complexity to new users;
  • AutoThruster vs Divining Rod for aiming puposes only - I find DR to be much better at aiming, and it's a load and forget thing compared to AT;
What I mean by themes is that maybe it could be grouped for example by "low performance machines" and "high performance machines" presets, etc.
Then again, perhaps you wouldn't need the presets after all, maybe a written guide would be more than enough and provided the basis for people to choose what they needed. A newcomer's tips guide for newcomers or something like that. You could present the list of plugins that improved your VAM experience, you don't even need the presets actually.

Upvote 0
If I could offer some pointers, perhaps you could share the presets in different options for different needs. For example:
  • GiveMeFPS is a bit dismissible for those with powerful machines and would potentially had more complexity to new users;
  • AutoThruster vs Divining Rod for aiming puposes only - I find DR to be much better at aiming, and it's a load and forget thing compared to AT;
What I mean by themes is that maybe it could be grouped for example by "low performance machines" and "high performance machines" presets, etc.
Yes, I want to do that aswell. But first I want a single working version. It's getting exponentially harder for me, because every time I add something new, it breaks something else...

Then again, perhaps you wouldn't need the presets after all, maybe a written guide would be more than enough and provided the basis for people to choose what they needed. A newcomer's tips guide for newcomers or something like that. You could present the list of plugins that improved your VAM experience, you don't even need the presets actually.
My idea was to make something people could browse in the game hub, download it and it's dependencies and just play without reading anything.

Upvote 0
My idea was to make something people could browse in the game hub, download it and it's dependencies and just play without reading anything.
Well, sorry to make this more difficult, but these you mention are a mix of session plugins and atom specific plugins. People will have to read how to load them and how to work them, or they'll be very lost.

Autothruster for example is usually used on a male person atom, but not necessarily, will also work on a female atom. Then it needs to be configured and triggered to do something.
On the other hand, GiveMeFPS is a session plugin, loading is done differently and also needs some learning to be used well, if it's need at all.

I just tried today a scene that loaded over my session plugins, and OMG, I freakin' hate the creator now. Existing session plugins should never be forced on someone, at best should be merge loaded. Imagine installing a phone app that resets your settings?
Any plugin preset you may share make sure it's merge loading and not just loading, or else everything else is removed. Even merge loading will bring issues as it will overwrite the same plugin if it is already loaded and in the same position.

Anyway, that's why I'm suggesting to you to deviate from actual plugin presets as the main focus to more for a guide, where you can still share presets but the person should read first how to use them.

Upvote 0
Well, sorry to make this more difficult, but these you mention are a mix of session plugins and atom specific plugins. People will have to read how to load them and how to work them, or they'll be very lost.
I will use Scene ninja to load the atom preset plugins. It lt can load one preset for females and a different preset for males. Using merge load will make it work with most scenes. There is no goal to have 100% compatibility with all scenes.

I just tried today a scene that loaded over my session plugins, and OMG, I freakin' hate the creator now. Existing session plugins should never be forced on someone, at best should be merge loaded.
It's different when a scene inconspicuously load some session plugins. My idea is to share a session plugin preset. People can choose if they want to merge it with theirs, tweak it, or simply use it as is.

The idea is to make a simple setup, not an extensive guide. We already have plenty of those, and It's not like I can make something better than what we already have.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom