Resource icon

Guides Installing VAR packages from Patreon

MacGruber

Invaluable member
Developer
Featured Contributor
Reactions
MacGruber submitted a new resource:

Guide for installing VAR packages from Patreon - Addressing a number of potential pitfalls when manually installing a VAR package

How to install VaM content?
The easiest way to installed VaM content is to use the "Hub Browse" window directly inside VaM. It will take care of all the things for you, including downloading all dependencies you might need. Obviously that only works for content that has actually been uploaded to the Hub and has the "Hub-Hosted VAR" label, it won't work with paid or early access content on Patreon or other sites.
View attachment 26852...

Read more about this resource...

I'm going through this right now. What is the text file that came with the VAR. It has ".var.depend" at the end. Is that just a listing of the dependencies that need to be added manually?

Its just a listing of files, you don't actually need it since the VAR knows these things itself from it's meta.json. Some creators post the .var.depend anyway as it may be helpful locating resources that aren't available on the Hub via automatic-download.

I rename the .zip file into .var and now it says its unusable. placed it into addonpackages but it's not there. Any suggestions?

I rename the .zip file into .var and now it says its unusable. placed it into addonpackages but it's not there. Any suggestions?
Maybe it wasn't a VAR in the first place, just a regular ZIP file? Some creators still havn't understood the system and ship their stuff as ZIP, RAR or whatever...I have even seen VAR files being put in ZIPs ;)

Back
Top Bottom