Timeline
Acid Bubbles updated Timeline with a new update entry:

Timeline v4.2.0

- Right-click on previous/next frame to move by the "snap" value, on -1s/+1s to move by 0.01s and on -0.1s//0.1s to move by 0.001s. This can be useful when fine tuning animations. Thanks to @via5 for the pull request!
- Fix to still support Virt-A-Mate 1.19
- Fix "delete all animations" in advanced keyframe tools that was still showing the deleted animation data in the dope sheet and curve viewer
- Fix crash when creating animations from a clip without number suffix when...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi. For me the top menu is missing so I can't select any of the main tabs. Any thoughts? VAM ver 1.20.1.5 and Timeline ver 210.

Thanks and keep up the good work!

Untitled-1.png

Hi AB. IVe noticed something quite curious thats been happening in the last few version of Timeline. When using the controller UI, sometimes, when I click on the 'Edit Triggers' button, the triggers panel appears underneath the existing UI, instead of on top. See below. This isn't something I can reproduce consistently. But when it happens, the trigger panel remains permanently on screen, even after I click 'Done'. The only way to reset the UI is to disable timeline in the simple signs plugins section and then reactivate it. Have you ever seen this before?

1611705029306.png

@fishcakes uh, no it never happened to me! That's interesting... if you do find clues on how to reproduce let me know though!

Hi AB. Ok, ive done some testing and found the problem seems to be related to having multiple timelines in the controller UI. See my attached scene which contains a person and a sphere, each with its own timeline containing a single anim with a trigger track.

Heres how to recrate the problem (everything below is done via the floating controller UI):-
  • Using the controller UI Atom dropdown, select the person.
  • Go to the targets tab, and click 'Edit Triggers' - which will display an empty 'Trigger Actions' panel.
  • Close the 'Trigger Actions' panel using 'Done'.
  • Select the sphere from the Atom dropdown, and like the above, click 'Edit Triggers' to open the panel.
  • Click 'Done' once again and then go back to the person and yet again, click 'Edit Triggers'
  • This is when I consistently see the messed up draw order like the image I posed previously.
When following the above, do you see the same thing?

Attachments

• timeline_controller_test.json
    130.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@Isotonic69 I just saw I didn't answer you! You currently are running a very (very) old version of Timeline. You probably either don't have version 210, or you're in a scene that references the old version. You can use Select in the plugins tab to load the correct version of Timeline (210).

Hi @Acid Bubbles
If you would indulge me a suggestion? You currently allow multiple timelines on the same person to be selectable in the Controller UI 'Atoms' dropdown - which I have to say is an awesome feature for me personally. However, all instances in the dropdown have the same name. So, for example, if I have 3 timelines on a sphere, then 'sphere' will appear 3 times making it a bit difficult distinguishing between the timelines in the dropdown. How about using the name defined in the Timeline plugin section in the dropdown?

See the attached image below. You can see each timeline has a different name. In this case 'main anims' and 'exp'. Any reason why you cant append the atom name with these plugin names in the UI dropdown? Or even appending the existing atom name with the plugin number. eg #0, #1 etc? Anything to distinguish between them would be fine to be honest.

Capture.JPG

Acid Bubbles updated Timeline with a new update entry:

Timeline v4.2.2

- Show the main UI when opening Timeline using Keybindings
- Fix resize float params carrying the "Copy Previous Keyframe" mode in the second to last keyframe
- Use delta time for better animation timing with low framerates (still no better than VaM physics though)
- Close the edit trigger panel when the time changes or when the UI is closed (fixes Controller sometimes stuck with the triggers UI behind)
- Bring back support for VaM 1.19
- When a plugin label is assigned to Timeline, show it...

Read the rest of this update entry...

Hi @Acid Bubbles
Thanks for the update. The controller UI fix is mostly working, although has introduced a new issue unfortunately. Ive attached the same scene again, except now ive actually added a trigger to the trigger tracks.

Ok, so same process as before, with an extra step:-
  1. select person in the controller UI, click edit triggers. This time also click the 'settings' button and then click 'ok' to close the trigger settings, followed by 'done' to close the triggers window.
  2. select the sphere, and do the same as step 1 above.
  3. select the person again and try to do step 1, but when clicking on 'settings' nothing happens. At this point, all you can do it click 'done' at which point the UI draw order goes weird again.
Hope that's clear? Is it repeatable?

Attachments

• timeline_controller_test.json
    131.5 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
I'm getting a glitch while parenting, the nodes fly off in random directions when playing transition animations. Kind of breaks animations with any parenting at all.

Also, when blending from one to the other, parenting will smoothly blend from one state to the other.
This is the part that breaks it, what am I doing wrong? Parenting itself works on animations, but as soon as I blend unparented node to parented one or vice versa, it flies off in random directions.

@fishcakes Uh yeah, I can reproduce that. This is weird.. I'll try to figure this out.
@BigBoobCoomBlast69 can you share a scene json that has the problem? I'd hard to guess without more info. If you're changing the parent state of atoms using a trigger, it could explain that. You should use the parent feature under the Targets screen, in the controller panel on the right (expand it), under settings.

@BigBoobCoomBlast69You should use the parent feature under the Targets screen, in the controller panel on the right (expand it), under settings.
Exactly what I'm doing hence my confusion. I'll cook up an example scene right now to demonstrate.

Edit: Here it is, if I'm doing something incorrectly then please let me know what because I might be actually pretty dumb.

Attachments

• Timeline glitch.json
    306.2 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
@fishcakes I think I fixed it. This panel was not made to be re-usable, but I think I figured something out. The next update should solve it.

@BigBoobCoomBlast69 Thanks for the scene JSON, that clarifies it! So the problem (and it's not your fault) is that you cannot use automatic transition keyframes (sync first / sync last) when parenting is involved in the source clip. The reason being that I cannot compute where the source will be at the time of the transition, so I cannot build a curve accordingly. There might be a solution, but for now the best you can do is disable sync (in Sequencing) and manually place where approximately should the parented control be. Blending should allow you to be less precise.

Hi @Acid Bubbles! Thanks for your great work!
Found a bug when extending loop animation, that has transition to it. If you create transition from animation A -> B, and then extend animation B, this transition stops being smooth.
Way to reproduce:
1. Create a cube at coordinates (0:0:0) and add animation A, that moves it to (0:1:0) and back.
2. Create second animation B, that starts at coordinates (1:0:0) and moves it to (1:1:0) and back.
3. Create transition with 0 blend time between this two animations. At this point all moves smoothly.
4. Extend animation B with 2 more seconds.
5. Change the coordinates of the cube in animation B at time 2s to (1:-1:0).
6. Now if you play all together the cube will jump after transition. This happens because after transition animation B starts playing from 2s time, not from the beginning.

Attachments

• Timeline_transition_bug.json
    32 KB · Views: 0
Hi, I'm just trying to learn how to use this plugin and I can't even get past instruction 2 on the "Getting started" WIKI page.

I am literally trying to just figure out how to move a controller to another position and set a keyframe (or edit an existing keyframe) and I can't figure out where or how to do it. I can see the Controllers and the Curves and can scrub back and forth. But no idea how to "select" a keyframe and move the controller that is selected.

The WIKI has one line that says "Move it in the middle, and move the controllers you have enabled in the previous step to a new position and rotation." - but it doesn't say HOW to do this!

EDIT: OK his video made it clearer for me:

Only I don't get the blue path traced around the target points in scene like you did in video when you selected the controllers? Do I have to turn something else on?

Also in your video you were able to grab control points and move them, but the VAM interface stayed on your plugin, but when I select a control VAM throws me out and sends me to the "Control/Move/Animation/Physics" tab of the control point?!? I have to keep going back into the person and finding the plugins tab again every time I move a point.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom