The definitive asset creation tutorial for VaM

Guides The definitive asset creation tutorial for VaM

How do I define the original rotation? And what do you mean by proper configuration?

Edit, Nevermind it actually worked in playmode with the steps I had above

The hinge is configured based on the original rotation of the gameobject ^^

I'm glad you could make it work!

The hinge is configured based on the original rotation of the gameobject ^^

I'm glad you could make it work!
In VAM the chain just spins in place a bit slowly. Kind of weird… I don’t have spring or motor enabled. Limits do work, if I disable them the chain spins 360 degrees. Even odder, the direction of the spin seems to be effected by gravity lol

I got it sort of working, but the chain is offset for some reason... I'm pretty stumped at this point. Not sure what's going on because it looks fine in unity play mode. Here's a video of what it does in VAM

Yup that looks about right! the offset is probably due to either some parameters OR eventually colliders?

In VAM the chain just spins in place a bit slowly. Kind of weird… I don’t have spring or motor enabled. Limits do work, if I disable them the chain spins 360 degrees. Even odder, the direction of the spin seems to be effected by gravity lol
If you don't have one already you might need a (small) collider somewhere. Unity 2018 derives the center of gravity from those. If you don't have at least one, the center of gravity will be at the hinge which isn't realistic at all.

If you don't have one already you might need a (small) collider somewhere. Unity 2018 derives the center of gravity from those. If you don't have at least one, the center of gravity will be at the hinge which isn't realistic at all.
I had a collider, what fixed the 360 spinning problem for me was
1. delete the whole prefab
2. save/close unity
3. open unity
4. recreate the prefab using the exact same settings I had before.
5. export as asset bundle, then import to vam.
6. It works! Why? It seems there's bugs somewhere either in Unity, VAM or both. I have no way of knowing though.

As for the offset problem, I think it has something to do with collision. I say that because when the chain initially loads into the scene in VAM, it is in the correct location, but then about 0.2 seconds later it gets pushed out of place. I do not have a mesh collision component on the meshes, and the only box collider is on the end of the chain.

Maybe I'll try disabling collision in VAM? IDK, I tried a lot in Unity but it's difficult to test out changes because everything works perfectly in Unity. The problems don't start until I import into VAM. So to test things I have been re-importing the asset every time I try something different like 100 times now.

Edit:
I tried disabling collision on the CUA in VAM. However, this did not fix the problem. Something interesting I found though, even though collisions are disabled the box collider still collides with person atoms. So it seems even with collisions disabled, they are not actually disabled.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom