Question Open scene in Unity?

btacoses

Reactions
Forgive me if this questions is ridiculous, because I definitely don't know any better. The question is really to determine whether I should try to learn to know better lol

I have created a scene in VaM to render to VR video and have had some good test runs with this. What I'm wondering about is if I could open that scene in Unity in order to eventually create an executable file so that the viewer could walk around through the scene. Basically, it would be a scene without any interaction except for the ability for the player to navigate around a predetermined scene, like a VR movie without a fixed camera position. I don't know anything about Unity, but if this is something that could be done, I think I'll learn.

Well, VaM already IS a Unity application that can run your scene?

You can mark atoms as hidden and make them non-interactable and non-possessable. Then a player would have to switch to edit mode to change that back.

Upvote 0
I get that. But what if I wanted to create a stand-alone executable file that could be distributed to those without VaM? I know I could do that all natively in Unity, but I know how to use VaM much better.

Upvote 0
I don't think you thought this through. Sure you could extract some assets, but to run a VaM scene you need VaM, obvious right? You can't "just" make your own application that does the same as VaM, besides the hoppefully obvious coppyright issues it would be a ridiculus amount of work.

Upvote 0
I get that. But what if I wanted to create a stand-alone executable file that could be distributed to those without VaM? I know I could do that all natively in Unity, but I know how to use VaM much better.

This would be almost the exact same ammount of effort like creating a completely new custom game.
And I don't think MeshedVR or DAZ3d would be happy about this. ;)
I know, that VaM, being a powerfull sandbox tool, seems to be more than just a game.
But it (more or less) isn't. It is a game made with the Unity game engine, like Onward or Beat Saber (which are AFAIK Unity games, too). You wouldn't ask the same question regarding those games, won't you?
Even to run only a single VaM scene standalone, you would almost need the full VaM basic features like physics, rigging, collision, skinning, lighting,... aso.
For a skilled programmer it would be possible to start a single scene on a double click, but that would need the full VaM with all needed stuff installed.

Upvote 0
What you could possibly do is setting up a VaM folder that has:
  1. Setup your scene as default scene
  2. Enabled automatic load of above default scene, skipping the menu. There is an option in settings somewhere.
  3. All content removed that isn't needed
  4. Possbily has some session plugin that hides the VaM menus, so your users can't break stuff.
Obvious problem, if this isn't just for yourself, is of course getting VaM licenses for your users. You may have to make a deal with Meshed. Won't be cheap though, if he allows it at all.

Upvote 0
This may sound odd, but why not doing a VaM movie? I know that there are some guys doing stories and movies, that are naturally viewable for people who don't have VaM.
If you want to add some gaming elements, you could maybe use Unity to add some buttons and play different endings for different user decisions?
Only maybe as an inspirational idea.
Though, as MacGruber said, you still have to ask for permission and/or maybe for a license.

Upvote 0
Yes, I hadn't entirely thought it through. In the end, it would be easier to learn to do this entirely in Unity.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom