[Experimental] Disable Texture Compression

Plugins [Experimental] Disable Texture Compression

Stopper

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Stopper submitted a new resource:

Disable Texture Compression - Disables texture compression in VAM's image loader

A small plugin that replaces VAM's default image loader with one that avoids compression.

This doesn't make much of a difference in most cases, but in some specific circumstances can visibly improve texture quality.

Disclaimer: Might have adverse effects on performance, or prevent textures from loading properly. Use at own risk.

Usage
  1. Add as a session plugin.
    1. I recommend doing this before loading anything else.

Read more about this resource...

Should affect everything. Even the UI I think. Hard to say. It was a pretty fast build
ok im interested to see how much of a difference it can make. I didn't even know the model textures were compressed in VAM

ok im interested to see how much of a difference it can make. I didn't even know the model textures were compressed in VAM

It's hard to notice on most models given how detailed they are. I've only seen it make a visible difference on anime models that have solid colors and very clean lines. Some clothing might also benefit.

Let me know if you find some good examples.

Does this affect images loaded into decal maker, Stop? Thanks man

Should, yeah. The image loader it replaces should be used for everything.

Hi, just wanted to say that there's apparently a little 'side effect' of this (or maybe an actual glitch / bug).

When using this Plugin, loading a Scene, or replacing an existing character in a Scene normally shows up a small UI window indicating what assets and resources is being loaded, how many remains, with a progress bar. That little sort of "load progress" UI is no longer visible.

It does not affect the capacity of VAM in any way to load said assets, things do load. It's just that since the UI is gone it's all loaded blindly so to speak, and therefore just have to wait until the scene stabilizes and the FPS is back to normal (which is now the only indication that everything is done loading).

Just wanted to point at this.

From looking at the cache .vamcachemeta-files it's seems that already cached textures remain in DXT compressed.
So unless I delete the cache I'd assume they are still loaded compressed then?
Newly generated cache files with the Plugin active are RGB24.

Back
Top Bottom