Question Which VR headset is best for VAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.
cool so you only like headsets that have unstable and buggy WMR drivers, crappy tracking, and un-ergonomic bulky controllers that eat batteries and zero low light capacity.

Your lack of taste in quality consumer products is noted.

You can never play any shooting games because you cant bring controllers near your face and you cant play games with guns or sights because you cant bring a WMR near your face (something Rift S fixed 2 years ago)

Good luck with the WMR layer and the Steam VR layer interaction not having bugs lol lol lol

Dont think that just because it wont need the Revive hack anymore that the WMR wont still be there limiting your options and setting choices and constantly messing up and doing stupid stuff.

Dude, just because I'm satisfied with it doesn't mean you need to trash my taste. Your lack of EQ is noted. The stuff you harp on I don't give a rats ass about. I don't play shooting games. Reverb2 will also fix some of the tracking issues, as well as have different controllers.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
It is ridiculous, but I have Oculus DK1, DK2, Rift, Rift S, Samsung Odyssey Original (WMR), Vive, Vive Pro, and Index. My opinion is all of them have positives and negatives.

@NutellaBrah While WMR controllers do generally suck (they don't even work correctly in VaM for possession due to the way they spatially mapped them in SteamVR!), the overall experience isn't that bad. Some of the WMR headsets have better resolution and clarity than Rift S or Index. I'm still pretty impressed how VaM looks in the Odyssey. So that seems a bit harsh. If I only had the WMR headset, I would actually be reasonably happy with it other than some controller frustration. But if I were buying new, I would agree to not get any current WMR set, but the new upcoming HP Reverb G2 looks like it might be decent and it has controllers that might actually work: https://www8.hp.com/us/en/vr/reverb-g2-vr-headset.html

My go-to headset is Index, followed by Rift S. I have to say Rift S is the best bang/buck right now. But I absolutely hate the audio on it. It is worse than all the other headsets that have built-in audio. I find that strange given original Rift has pretty good audio, even though it was subject to breaking over time. My biggest disappointment with Index and Rift S are the lenses. The glare on both really bothers me, even after fresh cleaning and perfect alignment in the sweet spot.

Can anyone here share their Valve Index settings in Steam VR and in VAM? I am getting some serious stuttering issues when moving my head left and right. I've tried everything, supersampling on/off, 80hz all the way up to 144hz, vsync, playing with every setting and I can not seem to fix it. It doesn't stutter when I look straight ahead, but when I turn my head, its like a frame a second even though my frame rates do not drop according to VAM performance monitor. Its getting pretty frustrating. I feel like I didn't have these issues with my HTC Vive, so I'm thinking its an Index issue. I have a 3800x, 2070 super and 32GB RAM, so do not think its my PC. Any help would be appreciated. I've been playing with settings on and off for quite sometime and can't seem to fix. Im using VAM 1.2 and latest Steam VR build.

Upvote 0
Can anyone here share their Valve Index settings in Steam VR and in VAM? I am getting some serious stuttering issues when moving my head left and right. I've tried everything, supersampling on/off, 80hz all the way up to 144hz, vsync, playing with every setting and I can not seem to fix it. It doesn't stutter when I look straight ahead, but when I turn my head, its like a frame a second even though my frame rates do not drop according to VAM performance monitor. Its getting pretty frustrating. I feel like I didn't have these issues with my HTC Vive, so I'm thinking its an Index issue. I have a 3800x, 2070 super and 32GB RAM, so do not think its my PC. Any help would be appreciated. I've been playing with settings on and off for quite sometime and can't seem to fix. Im using VAM 1.2 and latest Steam VR build.

Hi, it is not necessarily your VR settings, but most likely it is VaM itselfe. There is a good thread somewhere around here called "Improving FPS for newbies". You may want to have a look at this. VR in general needs lot of CPU and GPU power. This especially holds true for VaM. There are people with 2080 ti who gots a lot of stuttering, too. Add some additional lights, add some persons, add some insane balanced hair and even a Zen3 with rtx 3080 will get into its knees.
Its up to you to find the right balance for your system and subjective perception of stuttering.

But to answer your question: I am playing VaM on 100% SS and 144Hz (which devides usually into half to bearable 72Hz), but with soft body physics off and stuff like this. I don't use Steam smoothing, because this creates some ugly artifacts. My system is much older than yours, and every time when I see those typical stuttering, I delete some lights, edit the physics settings of the hair and the stuttering is gone. Most of the time...

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom