Question Quest 2 headset and VAM

Damodar

Reactions
HI THERE
I could not find a dedicated thread for tips, tricks and learning Virt a mate, so I post here, hopefully it will reach the right person..

I have just tried my new quest 2 head set. I connect it via virtual desktop to my PC and control my PC through the head set. works fine on 5Gh bandwith, no problem
Of course I could open my Virt a mate application (I tried also VaM (Open VR) but was very disapointed because all I get is a wide screen (in a 3D surrounding) with my scene on the screen! Is that it?
I was expecting to be IN the 3D scene with my characters.. Maybe I missed something. Just tell me. Thanks in advance.

Anyone could share is experience with VAM through headset?

There are quite a few threads on this, you need to launch VAM with particular settings in the command.
If you search the forum you will find a batch file for launching VaM from within Virtual Desktop to get best performance, and yes, you get it in full VR 3D.
To be more specific and save you the trouble of using the search feature here is a copy of one of my replies,

"This is the line I use to launch mine,
"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "C:\PATHTOVAM\VaM.exe"

And it works. I double click the bat file which is in the same directory as VaM itself from Virtual Desktop and it just works.
You do need to have the oculus app installed and working for this to work as Virtual Desktop abuses the Oculus drivers. You don't need to open or run the Oculus app at all, but it needs to be there. "

Upvote 0
HI THERE
I could not find a dedicated thread for tips, tricks and learning Virt a mate, so I post here, hopefully it will reach the right person..

I have just tried my new quest 2 head set. I connect it via virtual desktop to my PC and control my PC through the head set. works fine on 5Gh bandwith, no problem
Of course I could open my Virt a mate application (I tried also VaM (Open VR) but was very disapointed because all I get is a wide screen (in a 3D surrounding) with my scene on the screen! Is that it?
I was expecting to be IN the 3D scene with my characters.. Maybe I missed something. Just tell me. Thanks in advance.

Anyone could share is experience with VAM through headset?
I use VAM thru oculus app and airlink connected to my computer. Works good

Upvote 0
There are quite a few threads on this, you need to launch VAM with particular settings in the command.
If you search the forum you will find a batch file for launching VaM from within Virtual Desktop to get best performance, and yes, you get it in full VR 3D.
To be more specific and save you the trouble of using the search feature here is a copy of one of my replies,

"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "C:\PATHTOVAM\VaM.exe"

And it works. I double click the bat file which is in the same directory as VaM itself from Virtual Desktop and it just works.
You do need to have the oculus app installed and working for this to work as Virtual Desktop abuses the Oculus drivers. You don't need to open or run the Oculus app at all, but it needs to be there. "
Thanks for your replies I got it working with the .bat file

Upvote 0

Thanks, it works indeed!

Upvote 0
I recently bought an Oculus Quest and I use the air link that comes with the Quest. You have to install the program on your PC and then launch it. Once it is loaded turn on your headset and launch Airlink. It will connect and you will see icons on the bottom of your field of view. Select the desktop mode. Then when you see your PC screen go and launch the vr version of VAM and you are in business. Once you have loaded it Once, it will add an icon for VAM to the left side of your Aur link screen on your headset and you can launch it from there.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your replies I got it working with the .bat file
I just bought my computer, oculus quest 2, and link. I hadnt had a computer for years. Main reason I bought everything is for the vr experience with virtamate. I've never used virtamate. Do I download virtual desktop on my computer first ? Than do I insert that command? Also do I just connect my quest link to my computer and oculus 2 or do I need to install software for it to work ? Sorry for questions but maybe you can help or point me to a resource. Thank you

Upvote 0
I just bought my computer, oculus quest 2, and link. I hadnt had a computer for years. Main reason I bought everything is for the vr experience with virtamate. I've never used virtamate. Do I download virtual desktop on my computer first ? Than do I insert that command? Also do I just connect my quest link to my computer and oculus 2 or do I need to install software for it to work ? Sorry for questions but maybe you can help or point me to a resource. Thank you
1. Download and install VAM on a non protected drive 2. Install Oculus software on computer 3. Add VAM to Oculus software library 4. On Vr headset setup airlink 5 .Start airlink then goto lib and Run VAM

Upvote 0
1. Download and install VAM on a non protected drive 2. Install Oculus software on computer 3. Add VAM to Oculus software library 4. On Vr headset setup airlink 5 .Start airlink then goto lib and Run VAM
I did this but I still can't get onto Vam. When I go to the library to run Vam it shows now playing but a continuous circle is spinning and nothing plays . My Vam exe is saved on m ly C:\Users\omen4\Downloads\Vam_Updater.exe

Attachments

• Screenshot_2022-07-25-16-53-03-40_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    Screenshot_2022-07-25-16-53-03-40_92460851df6f172a4592fca41cc2d2e6.jpg
    677.7 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
Hi ! Maybe this is the right place to ask this question...On the Rift, I could record the VR via oculus mirror "Post Distortion" + OBS, and then play back the video file in the headset with a player. I just bought the Quest 2, but this time I get a stretched and distorted image when I use the "Post Distortion" command. I should mention that I am in air link when I do this, because Virtual Desktop does not give me access to Oculus Mirror ("Waiting for VR session" message). Does anyone know how to solve this problem and save a faithful Post Distortion image to be able to play back the recording in VR?

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom