Answered Quest 2 for VAM?

cmramlow

Reactions
I'm thinking of getting a Quest 2 but unlike my samgsung Odessey it has no cables I'm told that connect it to my PC/GPU.

If that's the case, how do you guys play VAM on a quest 2?

You can use,
1) Link Cable for wired play
2) Airlink (built in, free) for wireless play
3) Virtual Desktop Streamer (app store paid app, but really good) for wireless play
4) ALVR (github, open source and free) for wireless play.

I bought Virtual Desktop and get great results with that but any of those solutions "work" and your use case varies which is best for you.
I don't think options 1,2 or 3 need SteamVR installed at all but I think option 4 does require it.

Upvote 0
Thanks very much for the repy @Jiraiya, I already have Option 3 installed and will try that.

Is the link cable for wired play more reliable, faster, or doesn't drain battery as fast? What's the use case for using a link cable?

Upvote 0
The link cable is there for people that want to accidentally strangle themselves during play, or accidentally snag something and rip the USB socket out of their headset. It's also a great boon for those that feel they have too much money and want to throw some away to make their play experience slightly worse.
It's literally only for those that don't have a decent wifi router. If you can get 5ghz wifi to the headset you won't ever want the Link cable. It does of course transfer some power, but so does a small battery pack strapped to the back of the headset or on a short usb cable to your pocket.

Upvote 0
I just bought a quest 2 and also just started using VAM. I haven't had to connect it. My apartment isn't big enough to test the range but I don't need to be in the same room as the router.
It's a pretty good headset.

The only part that sucks is that Facebook is probably all over my personal info.
My headset always goes dark for a few minutes and then miraculously starts working.
Whatever they're doing apparently they would prefer you think it's a bug rather then tell you about it and ask you to wait.

The Facebook account stuff is apparently being dropped but that means nothing to me. They wouldn't do that without figuring out an alternate way to get what they want.

Upvote 0
If you play seated, the Link cable (the original fiber optic one) is a good way to keep the batteries charged. But you have to plug in and turn on the Quest 2 in a specific order ... otherwise the Link cable won't charge (at least in my case).

Upvote 0
How is the latency with this guys? I'd like wireless, but .. I simply assumed the latency would be bad...?

Upvote 0
I play wireless with VD ALL the time.
I personally didn't notice much difference to the wired connection.
Some people might be more sensitive than me, but honestly, I never noticed it to be an issue. There are people that have used Virtual Desktop with "shadow" PCs (internet streaming) and apparently that even works.
Honestly, I will never go back to wired play.

Upvote 0
Bump - I have just got a Quest 2 but Im struggling to get Vam up and running via Virtual Desktop.
In Q2, purchased and installed VD
On PC, downloaded, installed and run Streamer App.
In Q2, succesfully launched VD and connected to my PC - I have PC streamed to headset.
In Q2/VD, launched VAM vr mode------ errors about Steam etc.

Have I missed a step?

Upvote 0
YES.
Look at any of the other threads where I detail the batch file to launch it.

Create a text file called "StartVAM.bat" or some such. Open it and add this line,
"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "C:\YOURPATHTOVAM\VaM.exe"
( dont forget to edit the path to your correct location for VaM)

Run this batch file from within VirtualDesktop only.

Upvote 0
YES.

Create a text file called "StartVAM.bat" or some such. Open it and add this line,
"C:\Program Files\Virtual Desktop Streamer\VirtualDesktop.Streamer.exe" "C:\YOURPATHTOVAM\VaM.exe"

Thank you for helping out but I think Im still missing something.
I have created a text file.
I have copied and pasted in your lines - including quotations
I have edit the path to my vam folder
I have named it vamstart.bat

In Q2 headset Ive launched VD
I have double clicked the file vamstat.bat

but............ I simply opened up the text file that I created

Are you sure its supposed to be text file?

Thanks for your help and patience!

Upvote 0
Okay so I have figured out how to remove the txt part and now the file is a bat file.
But it still doesnt start vam, it wants some software from oculus to be downloaded - is that a missing step?

Upvote 0
Ah yes, you need to have the oculus app installed on the PC too, sorry.
I had assumed you already had that installed.
Go to oculus.com and get the PC oculus software, install it. Don't bother with shortcuts as you will never need to open it or worry about it again, just that some of it's files are needed by VD.

Upvote 0
Ah yes, you need to have the oculus app installed on the PC too, sorry.
I had assumed you already had that installed.
Go to oculus.com and get the PC oculus software, install it. Don't bother with shortcuts as you will never need to open it or worry about it again, just that some of it's files are needed by VD.
Youve been very kind Jiraiya - thank you very much!!
I feel as though I have installed some bloat on my pc tbh. I was hoping to avoid having Oculus products on my PC and hoped Steam VR was all that was needed.
Im hoping this is all worth it! Ive been using a Samsung Headset WMR for the last year or so and it has been fine but I broke the controller and you cant buy them now so I took the plunge with the Quest. I'll report back!!! Many thansk again you kind gent!

Upvote 0
You can use SteamVR instead, but this direct Virtual Desktop method does NOT work with SteamVR.
I did lots of tests and got worse performance when using SteamVR.
(I think you might still need Oculus app in addition to SteamVR too, so don't think you can just get rid of it).

Upvote 0
You can use SteamVR instead, but this direct Virtual Desktop method does NOT work with SteamVR.
I did lots of tests and got worse performance when using SteamVR.
(I think you might still need Oculus app in addition to SteamVR too, so don't think you can just get rid of it).
Thank you J

What i dont understand is that Steam VR kicks in anyway. I guess this is why I get a little confused. The moment I start vam direct form the vam folder, SteamVR starts up - am I doing something wrong?

Plus - I launched the bat file from the desktop, but it then wrote a few files onto my desktop. Is that normal? Is there a prefered place to launch the bat file from? say the vam folder?

Upvote 0
If SteamVR opens then it's not launching right.
I hope you don't have the command in the batch split over multiple lines? It needs to be on ONE line.
As the full path should be on both halves of the command it doesn't matter where you run keep the batch file itself.
However, Run it by clicking from within Virtual Desktop. Do not click it from your real machine or without Virtual Dekstop already connected.

Upvote 0
If SteamVR opens then it's not launching right.
I hope you don't have the command in the batch split over multiple lines? It needs to be on ONE line.
As the full path should be on both halves of the command it doesn't matter where you run keep the batch file itself.
However, Run it by clicking from within Virtual Desktop. Do not click it from your real machine or without Virtual Dekstop already connected.

You sir, are a gentlemen and a scholar. Many thanks for all you assistance! It is finally up and running. Thank you so much.

I did make the error of putting the two entries into seperate lines btw. When I corrected it as you suggested, it worked.

Upvote 0
YES.

Where does this text file need to be created ?

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter where the batch file itself is as long as the full paths in the command are correct. You can leave it on your desktop if you want. It's just what you run to launch VaM correctly.

Upvote 0
It doesn't matter where the batch file itself is as long as the full paths in the command are correct. You can leave it on your desktop if you want. It's just what you run to launch VaM correctly.
Thank you . How is the text file converted to a bat file. Sorry for all questions

Upvote 0
i don`t understand is how to use the handsets ( or hands) in order to move or change the point of view... someone can help me please?

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom