Answered Is the Oculus Quest 2 Worth it For VAM?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vanredravend

Reactions
I was thinking of Upgrading my VR setup and was eyeing the Oculus Quest 2 with the PC link setup. Is it worth it, and what VR platforms are used by those in the community?
Does anyone else have an Oculus and/or any other VR and how does it work with VAM? Would it be better then WMR and how compatible is it with Steam VR?

I have a Rift-S and an RTX 2070Super and it's just fine running VAM. I LOVE the halo-style head strap. The headset itself is very light - especially when compared to a Quest 2. I tried a Quest 2 for a week with the deluxe strap, and the MOST fun I had with it was simply watching Amazon movies in Steam's Big Screen - where you are in a makeshift movie theater. It looks nice and clear. But in any games including VAM, it just wasn't as good as an experience as the Rift-S and yes, that was with the LINK cable. You also really notice the weight of it on your head/face... that got old very fast.

One major bonus with the Rift-S is the touch controllers. The batteries last a long time and you only need ONE AA battery per controller! I love that - and the tracking is very good, even with the blue/purple mood lighting I have in my room. I'm seriously considering trying a Reverb G2 because I've heard so many good things about them, but I'm afraid my 2070S graphics card won't be enough to make it an awesome experience. I might just end up getting a whole new system - i9 1100K, RTX 3090, 32GB 3200 RAM, etc, along with the G2. But I'm also considering trying the Pimax 8KX although I have none of the needed accessories - tracking boxes, Index style controllers, etc. So that route would be very expensive.

If you want my very quick answer to get a good VR headset at a very reasonable price so you can experience VAM in VR, get a Rift-S. I love mine. Could it be better? Of course - but for now, it does the job well in VAM.

Upvote 0
You sure are.
Go play somewhere else man. Joining a community and voting a lot of stuff down as a first action is a bad introduction, don't you think? So, I came to my conclusion. Nice to meet you.

Thanks @RandomVAMUser , but let us not make an upvote/downvote war in here, childish and ridiculous (you are not meant).

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Keep it civil everyone or warnings or bans will be handed out. There is no need for this regardless of how you feel about the different platforms. I have no love for Facebook, but the Quest 2 hardware is pretty good.

This thread is now locked and no longer open for further discussion

Upvote 0
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom