Question Oculus Quest 2 ....any step by step how to???

ZinoZelvet

Reactions
just bought a Quest 2, as my rift-S broke.

could anyone give me some hints how to do VAM with the Quest 2

I just use the Airlink and go to the desktop on the Quest and open VAM, job done. If you've just got the oculus you'll need to open the Airlink option on the oculus app on your pc, its under Settings - Beta - enable Airlink. Have fun

Upvote 0
It won't work if you don't have a proper Wi-Fi router. I use the original Oculus Link cable which is fiber optic. You can try the cheaper ones but they won't recharge the Quest 2 while playing...

Note: Even the original Oculus Link doesn't charge properly while playing, but ... it can keep your Quest 2 above 80% for hours...

Upvote 0
To get the virtual hands to show up instead of the orbs go to your User Preferences Tab, then click on the VR2 tab at the top and under VR Hands change left/right hand choice to Male 1 or 2 instead of sphere. Then click on left/right enabled and you should see your hands!

what I’m trying to figure out is how to utilize the Quest 2s native hand tracking feature in VAM, or if it’s even possible. As of now I’ve only been able to use the controllers as hands, if anyone knows how to activate hand tracking in VAM with the Quest 2 please chime in!

Hope I’m not thread jacking, as this question is directly related to OPs question on the Quest 2, if OP would like I can remove and repost a separate question.

Upvote 0
To get the virtual hands to show up instead of the orbs go to your User Preferences Tab, then click on the VR2 tab at the top and under VR Hands change left/right hand choice to Male 1 or 2 instead of sphere. Then click on left/right enabled and you should see your hands!

what I’m trying to figure out is how to utilize the Quest 2s native hand tracking feature in VAM, or if it’s even possible. As of now I’ve only been able to use the controllers as hands, if anyone knows how to activate hand tracking in VAM with the Quest 2 please chime in!

Hope I’m not thread jacking, as this question is directly related to OPs question on the Quest 2, if OP would like I can remove and repost a separate question.

I'll second this... whould be cool to be able to use Quest 2 hands tracking....

Upvote 0
I'll second this... whould be cool to be able to use Quest 2 hands tracking....
You can if you buy remote desktop (only works on wifi). Doesn't work with air link or regular link. It's super slow and laggy, I know oculus has made it able to use 60fps or whatever for hand tracking, but it doenst seem like the remote desktop developers have implemented it yet. It does work though. Also, just responds to gestures, you cant move individual fingers yet.

Edit: It's possible remote desktop developers have implemented and vam is not catching the full data.

Upvote 0
You can if you buy remote desktop (only works on wifi). Doesn't work with air link or regular link. It's super slow and laggy, I know oculus has made it able to use 60fps or whatever for hand tracking, but it doenst seem like the remote desktop developers have implemented it yet. It does work though. Also, just responds to gestures, you cant move individual fingers yet.

Edit: It's possible remote desktop developers have implemented and

Is that the same as Virtual Desktop? In your opinion, is it worth the $20 for the hand tracking, or is it just too laggy to enjoy? I’m running Air Link and it’s working well enough, but I really want hand tracking.
Thanks!

Upvote 0
Is that the same as Virtual Desktop? In your opinion, is it worth the $20 for the hand tracking, or is it just too laggy to enjoy? I’m running Air Link and it’s working well enough, but I really want hand tracking.
Thanks!
I mean it works, but for me spending $20 to get this hand tracking to work is way too laggy for it to be worth it. Your basically just doing what the controller can do at a much slower rate with terrible lag. I prefer virtual desktop to air link quite a bit, its much faster to start and the desktop function works better imo, but the hand tracking itself is not worth it for virt a mate. I bet other apps work better, but I havent tested it yet. Oculus offers refunds if you use the app under 2 hours though, if you dont mind waiting a couple days for it to get through you could test it yourself. edit: I know its possible for it to be better, because the hand tracking works amazing just using it to browse my desktop, before I go into virt a mate.

Upvote 0
Tried it via Airlink - working perfectly - no lag or anything at all
You would be surprised how much better it works with VirtualDesktop, but that's a one time 20$ purchase.
Have to compare it with AirLink again, but months ago I just refused to use AirLink any further. Maybe there's progress...

Upvote 0
Tried it via Airlink - working perfectly - no lag or anything at all

are you saying that the Quest 2 via airlink worked perfectly, or that the native hand tracking feature (no use of hand controllers) works perfectly in VAM?

So far I’ve gotten VAM to run fine in Airlink, just not the hand tracking feature while in Airlink mode/VAM. If this is working for you I would love to compare settings to see what I’m doing wrong.

Im still going to try out ALVR and/or VD when I finally have a day off….

Upvote 0
As well as Virtual Desktop there is ALVR which is free and open source. I have been told you can get full finger tracking working with it (in NEOS) so hand tracking should at least work in VaM.
There is an app to pair with it for the headset that you get in sidequest,

It's worth trying, can't beat the price. (I bought Virtual Desktop and use it all the time, I love it.)

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom