Question Card + VR Headset Recommendations?

The Vamalorian

Reactions
First off, VAM is amazing. This is a fantastic time to be in our "world" if you know what I mean.

I'm hoping to get a recommendation on the headset and video card I should get. Here is my current setup and my priorities:

I have this board:

This power supply:

This i5 processor (which I'll update to an i9 probably in the spring)

I have 32mb of this ram which I'll upgrade to 64 this spring as well:

Windows 10 obviously.

Of course I'm running SSDs with plenty of space and can get more.

I have NO headset now and NO dedicated video card. I want to buy both. My budget for the card and headset combined is about $1500.00 give or take.

This will be primarily for some 3D projects I'm working on and VAM. I likely won't be doing any FPS gaming or anything like that where I'll have 1000 bullets and missiles flying at me. I have two primary priorities as it relates to VAM:

1. The maximum possible resolution / realism I can get for the money.
2. Hardware / controller compatibility with VAM so i don't have a frustrating experience.

With that in mind, I welcomed seasoned thoughts from anyone who can help. My inkling is to just get the fastest Gforce I can afford and either the latest Index or G2 but I'd love to know your thoughts. I realize my i5 may slow me down a bit for now but I'd like for the advice to assume an i9 upgrade but I'd love to at least play at lower res on the i5 until then.

With my gratitude,

Welcome to VaM lol I would recommend going with at least
16gb 3200 mhz RAM (you need to set it in BIOS) EDIT:16gb not 32gb is over kill
RTX 2060 super (or better)
500gb SSD (VaM gets big after a few hundred files)
i9 10900k (your board says 10th gen)
as for head sets I am wanting to get a G2 also currently using a Rift S, I hate Facebook and will not buy a Quest 2 lol

Upvote 0
Welcome to VaM lol I would recommend going with at least
32gb 3200 mhz RAM (you need to set it in BIOS)
RTX 2060 super (or better)
500gb SSD (VaM gets big after a few hundred files)
i9 10900k (your board says 10th gen)
as for head sets I am wanting to get a G2 also currently using a Rift S, I hate Facebook and will not buy a Quest 2 lol
@Williamwow123 thanks for this. Now, forgive my ignorance because this is the first build I've done in a while (been on the Mac train for about 15 years). On the ram, are you telling me to replace this ram with 3200 mhz ram or are you telling me to set something in BIOS to make the ram I have read as 3200?

I'll do the i9 later this year for sure. Thanks in advance for your help.

I too hate Facebook and have no interest in giving them control of my VR experiences.

Upvote 0
when i click your RAM link in says DDR4 RAM 2666MHZ you will need DDR4 RAM 3200MHZ its a completely new stick but they do not cost much compared to 3600 or 4200
when you start you PC you press F2/Del to get into BIOS in no expert to teach you will have to you tube it.

Upvote 0
when i click your RAM link in says DDR4 RAM 2666MHZ you will need DDR4 RAM 3200MHZ its a completely new stick but they do not cost much compared to 3600 or 4200
when you start you PC you press F2/Del to get into BIOS in no expert to teach you will have to you tube it.
Sorry forgot to say when you put RAM in that is faster than 2666MHZ like 3200 in your motherboard it will default it to 2666MHZ you must go into BIOS and tell your PC what MHZ to run it at. It takes more watts but you will not have to worry about upgrading its just a safety feature. i use the 8gb versions of Crucial Ballistix 3200 MHz DDR4 DRAM Desktop Gaming Memory Kit 16GB (8GBx2) CL16 BL2K8G32C16U4W (WHITE) at Amazon.com

Upvote 0
Hi, what you need to know is, that VR is very ressource hungry. If you read graphic card reviews, 4k is the maximum resolution they will usually testing. Most gamers even play on those old and basic 1024 resolution, so 4k is usually the thing for only gaming enthusiasts with expensive gaming displays and expensive "enthusiasts" Graphic cards.
VR already HAS 4k and more. Keep that in mind! The HP Reverb G2 is the VR headset with the highest resolution in the consumer class, today. It even has a good step more than 4k and this will most likely be the new future standard. What makes it a lot more easy for us is, that most of the VR content is relatively simple and not as demanding as most of the newer games today. BUT therefore you need a minimum of constant 80-90Hz /FPS for VR (or non-ideally the half with some reprojection and smoothing). So it is not easy to calculate HOW MUCH ressource hungry VR really is, but it IS.
Due to the fact that you can't buy most of the highend graphic cards at the moment, or only for unrealistic "scalper" prices, I still using my old GTX 980ti, which is approx as powerfull as a RTX 2060. I can play most of the VR content, not even very bad, but I would like to buy a RTX 3080 as soon as one is available for me.
If you have to buy a new card and if you want to buy a G2 Reverb AND want to be a bit "future-proof", I would go for the high end cards like 3070/3080.

What you also need to know is, that whatever monster CPU or high end GPU you have, VaM will be slow. Performance wise it is very bad and is only able to use a small amount of your PC power. So don't be angry if you invest that much money and will only see a small performance plus. This is the reason why the creator of VaM is doing the 2.0 Version all new from the very bottom up.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom