Question Low FPS on headset

nebulabranding

Reactions
I get 70-80FPS on VAM on my 4k monitor, but when I plug in my quest 2, I get around 30. As the # of pixels is less I would assume the framerate would be higher, is it possible it's the headset? Or is it my PC? I've got a 3070/R5 5600X + 32GB RAM.

I'm starting to suspect it's my cable but that doesn't make much sense.

Not a lot more to say about that.

Have you heard the one about the centibillionaire who tried to make a fast buck of off his customers by selling them useless & overpriced cables along with the not-entirely-horrible gadgets someone else had created?

The bad thing about that ... man ... is that there's always one more thing to say about him. Believe me that I do not enjoy talking about the ... gentleman.

Upvote 0
VR is far more costly to render than desktop because it's 3D. It's rendering everything twice.
It's not just about the number of pixels either, because there is a lot of work in the background regarding clipping, occlusion etc that is done prior to rendering to pixels. All that has to be done twice as well. Not to mention the fact that the VR image isn't being pushed out the Graphics cards own hardware output but instead packed and sent over a wire or wireless to a display elsewhere.

Upvote 0
@Case @Jiraiya Thank you both! Yes, that makes a huge difference! Thank you! The one piece I was missing was running the bat from Virtual Desktop rather than from the regular desktop. I will try the FidelityFX later today.

@Case You definitely know more than me so thank you!

Upvote 0
One of the reasons I continue to use Virtual Desktop (Which I am VERY glad I purchased) over Airlink is that the Oculus Dash is rendered on the PC not the Quest!
VD renders the environment in the headset. Oculus does it on the PC.
Not a lot more to say about that.

That is definitely the truth. I broke my VD setup yesterday tweaking with things and tried Airlink again. I found it to be annoying to the point of being unusable with the random flickers and pauses. This is especially true when trying to clean up small nuances in a scene. Airlink has a long way to go before it is viable. I don't think it could have been my system - fresh boot, nearly fresh VAM install, 3070 gpu, i9-9900k, 64G ram, Vam running on its own NVMe PCIe M.2, with nothing else running, the GPU at 50-55% and the CPU at 20-30%, no heat issues, and the system and VAM logs were clean. It is probably due to a heavier reliance on the network which will cause random latency and thus flickering. If that is the architecture they are sticking with, (designing with a wired mentality), then I don't know that Airlink will ever be viable.

Upvote 0
If that is the architecture they are sticking with, (designing with a wired mentality), then I don't know that Airlink will ever be viable.

... FBs belated attempt to finally end their enduring humiliation at the hands of Guy Godin ...

There's a YouTube interview somewhere with GuyGodin retelling the development-story of VirtualDesktop. He had zero documentation about the Occulus kernel (as far as I understood him, VD has to kindasorta 'trick' the Quest into talking to it instead of the Occulus Desktop Software) & once they realized his little 'ware was offering functionality their own team was a year away from publishing (AirLink) and was outperforming the (cabled) Link, for a fraction of the price of their stupid useless 'recommended high-class USB cables', they kicked VD off the Steam store.

Over a year later, he's still beating them at their own game ...

... plus he's the nicest guy you can imagine. He often hangs out in the VirtualDesktop discord and answers stoopid noob userquestions himself (tested by a state-certified Stoopid Noob^TM :LOL:)

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom