Question Cause of lagging/shaking/tearing screens when moving VR headset when FPS is not low

Reactions
Do you guy have problems like lagging/shaking/tearing of screens when you move your head, which causes dizziness (rotating my head is fine) in the VR mode of VaM while FPS looks okay in 70s? I am trying to locate the cause of that problem.

If FPS is in 70s then my PC side should be okay. Then the problem might be my Oculus Quest 2 or link cable. I am wonder if I should change my VR hardware...

Another problem might be some refresh rate settings, but I don't see much difference for this. Should I make the refresh rate lower or higher?

Has anybody experienced the same issued as me and resolved it later, and how were you able to improve?

Last edited:
Well you should check your cable first . with last update i noticed that cable connect have waaaay more stutters and lags than wireless connection with wifi6.

Upvote 0
Aside from the Oculus specific things, I really don't know, there is and was always some sort of annoying stuttering in VaM that I have not experienced in other games. Especially if you leave the menu open. If you close it, IMHO the lagging will be a bit less severe. Many users will now say that they never have experienced this with VaM, but in my oppinion this is something that strongly depends on how sensible someone is towards stuttering. Some will play VaM at 25 fps in VR and can't understand why others say it is too slow.

At the other hand, this is a somewhat normal behavior with VR. Moving your head around in VR will caus a constant rendering load. Your brain will "smooth out" some of the smaller stuttering, and so will maybe do some clever smoothing algorithms. Moving your head quick will cause a big jump that can't be compensated. In other games there are most of the time low poly objects and small textures that can be rendered quickly. VaM is comperably high poly and has dynamically generated hair that has to be calculated in realtime, aso.

Refresh rate: this is a somewhat complicated thing in VR.
It highly depends on yourself. At the beginning of VR some scientists found out, that a minumum of 80 Hz would be neccessary to not feel nauseous. With some training it may be less, or not.
-Less refresh rate ~= less fps = more nausea.

BUT: if a GPU cant render a frame fast enough, it will drop it. Missed or dropped frames will cause nausea, too.
-Less predifined refresh rate = less framedrops =less nausea.

Because of this, in modern VR headset, if the predefined refresh rate cant be reached over a certain time span and ammount, it most of the time will be cut by half (or maybe with some other algorithms) and a software will add doubled frames. Some users are even sensitive to this, but more important is, that an doubled wrong/empty frame is more obvious than a single one.
So it is still important to have a high framerate. Framerate and refresh rate is not the same, but there is a correlation.
This will lead to the effect, that sometimes a higher refresh rate that can't be reached and therefore cut by half, is better than a low predifined refresh rate that is cut by half. For instance: 120Hz / 2 = 60 vs: 80Hz / 2 = 40.
BUT: if even the framerate cut by half can't be reached, it would be even worse.

The best thing would be to lower the game settings to have a native framerate high enough. If the 70 fps in your case are somewhat stable, it is great. BUT: If you turn your head and the smoothing algorythm is kicking in, you will maybe see a more severe drop than if you would be on a lower framerate, allready doubled by the software. It depends on you.

You see, it is complicated. Sonds stupid, but best thing is to try it out yourself.

Upvote 0
By default most (or all) VR headsets try to reduce motion sickness by introducing additional interpolated images when your machine can't keep up with your headsets native refresh rate. Oculus calls this Asynchronous Spacewarp (ASW) while SteamVR uses the term Motion Smoothing (MS). While both implementations are a bit different, basically the goal for a 90Hz headset is to stablize the game framerate at 45Hz (or 30Hz), while your eyes still get the 90Hz with additional interpolated frames inbetween. This is usually a good thing, if your system can't keep stable 90fps all the time, you would want it enabled.

If you have trouble with lagging/shaking/tearing, then you might have managed to accidentally turn this off somehow.

Upvote 0
Hi, in SteamVR there is a difference between pure reprojection and motion smoothing (~ASW). Motion smooting additionally tries to predict the movement in space of every moving pixel. I personally don't like Motion smoothing with VaM, because for me it creates some ugly wobbeling smearing artifacts at the VaM menue.
Therefore I have it always turned off. Neverthless, I still have frame reprojection, meaning interpolation of dropped frames, which nowerdays can't be switched off anymore. Please don't ask me detailed questions, because SteamVR has patched and changed this several times back and forth in the last years.

Upvote 0
Well you should check your cable first . with last update i noticed that cable connect have waaaay more stutters and lags than wireless connection with wifi6.
I have a TPlink wifi 6 router with 1.5Gbps (~$70), which isn't good enough (and I saw no router under $200 have Gbps as high as link cable either). Can I ask what router you are using for VAM VR ?

Upvote 0
I have a TPlink wifi 6 router with 1.5Gbps (~$70), which isn't good enough (and I saw no router under $200 have Gbps as high as link cable either). Can I ask what router you are using for VAM VR ?
I use TPlink router . My model is TPlink AX1500 Wi-Fi 6 Router . on my quest 2 it shows1200 mb over wifi6 connection and have no lags at ll . also i use virtual desktop app . My computer config is Ryzen r7 3700, 32mb 3600 ddr4 ram , ssd 1tb and rx 5700xt radeon videocard .
Also i did not mention one scenario when you can see some lags and statters pretty easy with head movement - hi density hairs . Make blank scene with no objects and then add one person - then turn off all clothes and hair, and then check if same problem appears . If not - it is problem with your computer performance . If it is - try plugin GiveMeFPS to balance scene details and result fps :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
This was something I wanted to suggest, too. I did some tests on the last days because of this thread, and stuttering in VaM definitely correlates with some stuff used. Quite obviously it depends on performance heavy scenes and your PC configuration. As I had my 7years old PC, stuttering was much more prominent than with my brand new PC. No wonder. But even my new PC shows slight stuttering when turning/moving the head with only one person and some very high density hair and high-poly physic-enabled clothes. Hair is an extremely performance eating thing in VaM, more as one may think... One thing I had to learn from the VaM benchmark.
But still... IMHO there is some stuttering in VaM and VR, that can't be explained with only the things above.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom