Official VAR file compression poll

Should VAR files be changed to uncompressed?

• Yes

Votes: 149 68.0%
  • No

Votes: 70 32.0%

• Total voters
Status
Not open for further replies.
What was the performance Delta of using NTFS disk compression for the cache vs uncompressed cache?

I think loading speed is more important than file size for software like this. If you are invested at all in VaM, you've probably realized by this point that 16gb of storage space is just a start for this software. I really don't have a lot of scenes / looks stored and my installation is at 43gb. I'm sure if I was into downloading looks and scenes I could easily hit 2-300gb in no time. Uncompressing even some of that seems like a lot of unnecessary overhead. What's another 100gb of space if I can get into a scene 2 or 3 seconds faster (or maybe more?)- that's a trade-off I'm definitely willing to make!

Loading time is far (!) (!!!) more important to me than file size. My VaM installation is ... embarrassingly large already, but having to buy additional storage is far less annoying than having to wait endlessly for a scene to load.

I'm closing this thread. 1.20 implements the following:

Binaries files that are already in some kind of compressed format are now stored without any additional compression in the var zip file. This allows the fastest possible loading, similar to the file being directly on the file system, but comes with the convenience of the file being inside a nice package.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back
Top Bottom