Session Plugin Poll

Should Session Plugin persistence be re-instated ?

• Total voters

VeeRifter

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Session plugins in VAM v1.20.x no longer persist between scene loads making their purpose completely pointless.
Please re-instate what we had, or even better let it create something like a session.json that's used to store active session plugins so that a workaround like SessionPluginBooter is no longer required to retain these plugins across vam sessions as well as scenes.

Last edited:
To clarify my "yes":

- I think what's needed is not really _session_ plugins, rather, we need _persistent_ plugins. Session booters are a big workaround, I'd like persistent plugins to stay from scene to scene, but also between multiple VaM sessions.
- I don't think _scene plugins_ are useful. Creating an empty atom to hold scene plugins is not more difficult, and it allows grouping, importing, merge loading, etc.

So what I would propose is to replace session plugins by global/persistent plugins, and kill "scene" plugins. I think it's fairly safe to say that scene plugins could probably just be deprecated, since it's pretty new and most of them will be there "by error" (as a side effect of the booter approach).

So what I would propose is to replace session plugins by global/persistent plugins, and kill "scene" plugins. I think it's fairly safe to say that scene plugins could probably just be deprecated, since it's pretty new and most of them will be there "by error" (as a side effect of the booter approach).
I take it that when you say "scene" plugins you still mean the ones loaded from the main menu under the purple tab labelled "Session Plugins".
In that case I totally agree. That tab should be renamed "Global Plugins" and a plugin loaded from there should persist across all scenes and sessions.

Yes, can't think of a reason to vote no. There are some session plugins that are essential for every scene like UIAssist, KeyboardShortcuts, CUAManager...

Yes, can't think of a reason to vote no.
Somebody did. Would like to know the reasoning behind that decision, but whatever, it's a free world.
And thanks for the heads up about MeshedVR's post on discord about this issue. So it would seem that he's already looking into resolving this in some way. No harm in raising it here as well though. Not everyone uses, or is even aware, of the discord channel for VAM.

Last edited:
True session plugins are coming in 1.20.0.9, probably out today. There is also Session Plugin Presets that allow setting your favorite configurations and you can also set User Default which is what will be used during startup.

In addition, Scene Plugin and Scene Plugin Presets have also been added. These can use the same presets as Session Plugins but store with the scene.

True session plugins are coming in 1.20.0.9, probably out today. There is also Session Plugin Presets that allow setting your favorite configurations and you can also set User Default which is what will be used during startup.

In addition, Scene Plugin and Scene Plugin Presets have also been added. These can use the same presets as Session Plugins but store with the scene.
Thanks for that confirmation. It will be good to get back to having my 'essential' plugins loaded on VAM startup.

Good to hear that they are coming back with 1.20.0.9. I missed my VaM Clock badly, for instance. These session plugins are for adding global functionalitys to VaM itself, not to a scene or atom.

Back
Top Bottom