Kinect To VAM Demo

Scenes Kinect To VAM Demo

Jiraiya

Reactions
Jiraiya submitted a new resource:

Kinect To VAM Demo - Quick unedited mocap demo made with a Kinect v2 scanner

This is a quick demo to show the full body tracking possible with the Kinect for Xbox One scanner. No post processing has been done and all joints were captured real-time in one go.
I used the amazing Embody plugin while performing the capture but hadn't tuned the "snug" part, so my position relative to the VAM model is slightly off, when tuned you can get better results than this.
I made this using a Quest2 headset which tracks hand and head position, however almost the entire body can be...

Read more about this resource...

it's a better way to support fullbody track,it would be great if you could use your bare hand,while conjunction the AR addon,it would be definitely a masterpiece.

The Kinect plugs into the PC via USB. There are official adapter kits which have the connector and PSU for ~$20 or you can do a simple mod to put 12v power into the Kinect (V2) and just replace the custom cable with a standard USB3-B cable.
If you are not very capable with soldering I would say buy the adapter kit. (The V1 360 Kinect requires different mods but also has adapter kits).

That is unknown at this time, neither of us has tested it with a V1. I can't think of a reason why it wouldn't work, but obviously can't say anything without testing it.

I also have bought a Kinect 360 (V1) for VAM to use with a BVH plugin but the bones were wrong names. It did not work correctly.
So I hope this will work with the old one too.
Thanks for developing this plugin.

It's not me working on it, I am just helping test atm.
I was told that this version of the PC server for Kinect wouldn't work with the V1 but as yet I have not tested it.
We are developing and testing with the V2 Kinect for the XBox One at the moment,

When will this be released...and do you need any testers in the meanwhile?

I have both a Kinect V1 and V2...and I'm pretty good with c#/dotnet. LMK if I can be of assistance.

I have a Kinect v2 already connected to my PC, please let me know as well when you need testers!

It's almost ready for release apparently, I decided to do a V1 Kinect test to "prove" it one way or the other. I was informed it wouldn't work with the V1, and indeed that is sadly correct. It might be possible to compile a version of the PC server for the V1 but the current version does not work.
I installed the V1 kinect, tested it with room scanning software to verify it worked. Then I fired up KinectToVam and it just crashed on load.
In an ideal world it would be compatible with both, but we live in a far from ideal world.

So definitive answer is that it ONLY works with the V2 Kinect for Xbox One at this time.

It's almost ready for release apparently, I decided to do a V1 Kinect test to "prove" it one way or the other. I was informed it wouldn't work with the V1, and indeed that is sadly correct. It might be possible to compile a version of the PC server for the V1 but the current version does not work.
I installed the V1 kinect, tested it with room scanning software to verify it worked. Then I fired up KinectToVam and it just crashed on load.
In an ideal world it would be compatible with both, but we live in a far from ideal world.

So definitive answer is that it ONLY works with the V2 Kinect for Xbox One at this time.
This is not surprising, the Kinect v1 has a completely different SDK than Kinect v2. Even though they seem like similar devices hardware wise, the software was drastically different for v2.

Back
Top Bottom