Vam to Blender to Vam

Guides Vam to Blender to Vam

Yo Yo, blender now has multiple options for obj import and export. I have been using the legacy one, maybe thats what you need?

I eventually got it working with Blender's Import/Export -> Wavefront (Legacy) option.

Interesting as I had been told the new obj import method had been fixed but hadn't swapped over myself since if it woks don't rock the boat!

The Wavefront (Legacy) option doesn't exist anymore in Blender4.0 (also tried 4.1alpha).

Please Juno, edit this guide's description with an advice so people don't waste their time (like me lol), I've downloaded Blender3.6 and the legacy option works fine there.
But first try 4.0 for yourself, maybe you can make it work somehow? If not, the resource title should be "Vam to Blender3.6 (or older) to Vam"

The Wavefront (Legacy) option doesn't exist anymore in Blender4.0 (also tried 4.1alpha).

Please Juno, edit this guide's description with an advice so people don't waste their time (like me lol), I've downloaded Blender3.6 and the legacy option works fine there.
But first try 4.0 for yourself, maybe you can make it work somehow? If not, the resource title should be "Vam to Blender3.6 (or older) to Vam"
Heya, thanks for the heads up, il get a copy of 4.0 and do some testing and update as needed ;)

Thanks for the guide. Yup, as others mentioned, needs to be updated. Followed it step by step, but due new versions, buttons are no there.

Heya Hank, As far as I'm aware swapping female for male in the process will work just fine for 99% of the work but you are right the gens are another matter altogether.

Gens are actually a separate model grafted on top of vams model. You need to grab the Michael6 anatomical elements which is only available in the michael6 mega bundle. for females its 3dfleetwolfs new gens plus for victoria 6 version 1(important not ver2)

@Juno , first i would like to thank you for the guide.

second, is it possible to import a animated VaM scene into blender and render it there? 🤞
Heya, thanks for the heads up, il get a copy of 4.0 and do some testing and update as needed ;)
have you followed up on this? curious what the status of current VaM/Blender import & export.

thank you

@Wet-3D as far as I'm aware there's no way to export vams animation. It's a long standing feature wish I have heard from many as it would make vam a very low cost mocap rig but noone has tackled it, or maybe they have and kept it to themselves due to the massive financial potential of such a thing.

As for blender 4 and morphs, I have had a play and unfortunately the issue is that the new obj import method does not have an option to preserve vertex order and that's essential for making morphs as they fundamentally rely on knowing the vertex order. I had a lead on a way to reinstall the older legacy option but it did not work for me perhaps it will work for you and restore the legacy import/export.

As of now blender 3.6 is the last known working version for this kind of work.

EDIT II

Nevermind. I was an idiot and reading the wrong guide entirely.

Last edited:
@Wet-3D as far as I'm aware there's no way to export vams animation. It's a long standing feature wish I have heard from many as it would make vam a very low cost mocap rig but noone has tackled it, or maybe they have and kept it to themselves due to the massive financial potential of such a thing.

As for blender 4 and morphs, I have had a play and unfortunately the issue is that the new obj import method does not have an option to preserve vertex order and that's essential for making morphs as they fundamentally rely on knowing the vertex order. I had a lead on a way to reinstall the older legacy option but it did not work for me perhaps it will work for you and restore the legacy import/export.

As of now blender 3.6 is the last known working version for this kind of work.
Did they break the fucking obj importer again!. It's been a known damn issue on the github for 2 years and there is zero reasons any 3d program should arbitrarily change vertex order. Its just fucking insane.

Did they break the fucking obj importer again!. It's been a known damn issue on the github for 2 years and there is zero reasons any 3d program should arbitrarily change vertex order. Its just fucking insane.
They did indeed....and despite the complaints they have not seen fir to fix it yet. thank god you can still run older builds in parallel.

They did indeed....and despite the complaints they have not seen fir to fix it yet. thank god you can still run older builds in parallel.
I have modified the old legacy obj import code to work in 4.0. I think I may just add dedicated import/export option to my Generations converter to avoid this situation.

I have modified the old legacy obj import code to work in 4.0. I think I may just add dedicated import/export option to my Generations converter to avoid this situation.
That would be mega useful and allow me to use that with the latest builds, I use Generations literally daily so I'd be well happy!

Back
Top Bottom