Will Vam 2.0 have proper physics for rigid items like shoes and boots?

GoingAWOL

Reactions
Most footwear are either not simulated at all, or are simulated like cloth. Having a pair of boots simply "fall off" like they're made of silk is kind of ridiculous. Will Vam 2.0 and its soft body physics enable better simulation of rigid, non-cloth items?

This is something that should be answered by the developers.
But from my side, reading through the announcements and feature lists, I don't think this is high priority.
There are so many loose ends and half-ready construction sites in current VaM, that needs to be fixed, not to speak of the whole game has to be build new up from the ground.
Though, "Rigid clothes" were on our wish-list for allready some years. Think of things like glasses, for instance (I am a big "girls with glasses fan")! Shoes, armor, helmets, masks, buttons... it was always called "low priority" and too difficult to build-in with the current game mechanics.
But the game physics was completely changed in V2.0, so maybe this feature could be one of the side-effects.
Keep your fingers crossed.

I see this as something that can be solved with a modified way of dealing with CUAs. If a CUA can be tagged as clothing and put into the clothes section, and appropriately follow the body part it's fitted to that solves it.
There is obviously work to do with collisions for feet and hair etc, but honestly there isn't a need for hard "cloth" but rather fixing the way hard objects are worked with. That said, a "flexibility" value for cloth so things can be thicker needs to be worked on.
The current system with CUAs for buttons and bows and things that have to be loaded outside of the clothing menu is a pain, but it does sort of work. Some fixing could integrate it properly.

Hemmm... i think that VaM already have a way to map the weight of every single vertex of the cloths. If i'm not wrong, this is the way cloths are supposed to work since they where implemented in 3DCG. I think the OP problem is just relative to the specific resource he downloaded...

I think it's not just weight. I know boots/shoes that are meant to be fairly solid always deform in odd ways when the foot moves and toes curl etc.
But yes, you can adjust the cloth. I think it just needs a little improvement and allowing CUA as clothes like I mentioned before for solid objects such as glasses, hair clips, buttons, scabbards etc.

This is something that should be answered by the developers.
But from my side, reading through the announcements and feature lists, I don't think this is high priority.
There are so many loose ends and half-ready construction sites in current VaM, that needs to be fixed, not to speak of the whole game has to be build new up from the ground.
Though, "Rigid clothes" were on our wish-list for allready some years. Think of things like glasses, for instance (I am a big "girls with glasses fan")! Shoes, armor, helmets, masks, buttons... it was always called "low priority" and too difficult to build-in with the current game mechanics.
But the game physics was completely changed in V2.0, so maybe this feature could be one of the side-effects.
Keep your fingers crossed.
Yes I had an inkling that this would not be a high priority, although with soft body physics in Vam 2 it should be easier to implement. Perhaps @meshedvr can chime in, if he sees this.

Having rigid "clothing" like glasses, shoes, etc would be great, but I'm not optimistic because as you pointed out, 2.0 is still very long way off.

Hemmm... i think that VaM already have a way to map the weight of every single vertex of the cloths. If i'm not wrong, this is the way cloths are supposed to work since they where implemented in 3DCG. I think the OP problem is just relative to the specific resource he downloaded...
Do you have an example of properly simulated rigid items? It sounds like you are saying the current version already has this capability, if I'm not misunderstanding.

This is an extremely hard problem. It is hard to make rigid clothing that can adapt to character morphs and not clip through. If clothing adapts to morphs, it can get distorted and lose it's original shaping.

2.X will add support for hybrid wrap + rigid clothing which should help with things like shoes. Add in simulation for some stretch on the wrap portion and it can fix some of to distortion. It will never be perfect. There is a reason real world shoes and clothing come in different sizes! Ideally shoes would be made with different sizes and then the best fitting one could be selected and then conform with some stretch. Isolated rigid parts would float on the stretch areas. Some of this can be solved with rigidity maps that allow both stretchy and rigid areas of clothing to be simulated. 2.X will improve things, but don't expect miracles!

Thank you for the explanation @meshedvr
This sounds indeed complicated.
Maybe there would be a more simple methode?
Idea: The user places a small cua on the figure, like glasses, helmet, a watch a tail for the hip, a strapon or hair decoration, attach it to the next joint like usual, but then he can press a button and the cua+position will be added to the clothing tab and can be loaded from there. Like the old sunglasses, which still simply works great.
It would be even no problem to sometimes need to go to the "move" tab for adjusting, as long as it loads with a appearance or clothing preset.

The main issue with cua-clothing is IMHO the somewhat complicated use... load it to the scene, positioning it, attache it, adjust the physics settings... and if you want it in an other scene for another figure you have to do it again and again, or merge load it.
There is those great plugin that does this somewhat automatically, but even starting and using that plugin is way less handy than simply clicking through the clothing tab. I guess I have last used that plugin almost a year ago, because of this.

Thank you for the explanation @meshedvr
This sounds indeed complicated.
Maybe there would be a more simple methode?
Idea: The user places a small cua on the figure, like glasses, helmet, a watch a tail for the hip, a strapon or hair decoration, attach it to the next joint like usual, but then he can press a button and the cua+position will be added to the clothing tab and can be loaded from there. Like the old sunglasses, which still simply works great.
It would be even no problem to sometimes need to go to the "move" tab for adjusting, as long as it loads with a appearance or clothing preset.

The main issue with cua-clothing is IMHO the somewhat complicated use... load it to the scene, positioning it, attache it, adjust the physics settings... and if you want it in an other scene for another figure you have to do it again and again, or merge load it.
There is those great plugin that does this somewhat automatically, but even starting and using that plugin is way less handy than simply clicking through the clothing tab. I guess I have last used that plugin almost a year ago, because of this.
This is kind of what I was saying, better integrated CUA clothes. Of course it doesn't help with the distortion from morphs but the majority of the rigid items would only need a basic size scale or stay fixed.
The real pain is that you have to add the asset, set it's parent, set it's position, add the parentholdlink plugin because otherwise it looks awful etc.
I am not expecting miracles with how the CUA interacts with the models, just a bit more ease when using them as clothing items.

CUA is going away in 2.X being replaced with custom atoms. Rigid clothing will be added which will do what you are asking. You can either attach to a specific joint/bone/node or you can attach to a specific skin mesh face. You will also be able to create jointed clothing (tails, jewelry, etc.) and attach in similar method.

Shoes are really a different problem due to needing to move with the foot and toe joints correctly.

I've had questions too about clothing, like why there is no glasses for male atoms and why sometimes the shoes become distorted when using certain morphs (such as 'thin' by Ren). Hopefully 2.X will solve some of these issues.

CUA is going away in 2.X being replaced with custom atoms. Rigid clothing will be added which will do what you are asking. You can either attach to a specific joint/bone/node or you can attach to a specific skin mesh face. You will also be able to create jointed clothing (tails, jewelry, etc.) and attach in similar method.

Shoes are really a different problem due to needing to move with the foot and toe joints correctly.
This sounds awesome. We are all very excited for 2.0 !

Another suggestion: I would like there to be an option to automatically hide pubes/nipples/genitals when using clothing. There is a plugin that attempts to do this, however I have never gotten it to work properly and it would be a huge help as it would eliminate the need to manually turn those parts off.

Another question is if it will ever be possible to have characters taking off their clothes in more realistic ways. I've seen some animations and some mocaps that attempt to do this, with varying results (the clothing will 'disappear' in an instant as they take off the bra for instance). It would be nice to see a more realistic way to depict this where the clothing can be removed and placed on the ground, etc. Also if you could realistically remove their clothing with your virtual hands (or even take off your own clothing you are wearing in VR) that would be awesome too.

Thanks, Meshed for all your insight! I appreciate the fact that this is a difficult thing to get right. Perhaps once 2.X is out the community will come up with something. In the meantime it's good to know that this is something that will be at least partially addressed.

Do you have an example of properly simulated rigid items? It sounds like you are saying the current version already has this capability, if I'm not misunderstanding.

This is the first i found by accident: https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/racerback-dress.8976/

The back of the cloth is not simulated... while the front is simulated.

@All other guys here: Custom Atoms in VaM 2.0 sounds very very very very good! :love::love::love:

This seems relevant:

Back
Top Bottom