Too many Scenes. What you all do?

• Thread starter Deleted member 1503
  • Start date
D

Deleted member 1503

I've had VAM awhile now. When I first got it I just pretty much downloaded everything, way more time spent downloading then using it actually. Lots of JUNK/outdated stuff and signed up for a bunch of paid stuff for a few months. Well over the 2k view limit within VAM. The old easy Mate IV (now it's old anyway). Without spending a TON of time how do you all keep this organized? I'm thinking of just deleting everything, redownloading VAM and sticking with just high quality free content published to HUB now and then.

Yeah my first mistake was doing this, especially the Easy Mate stuff. Second mistake was not clearing it all out once I realized. Now I've got too much.

Someone here mentioned getting rid of the scenes content creators use to show their characters/allow easy import. But I'm not sure the best way to do that. Delete scene JSONs from VARs or import VAR content and delete VAR, etc... everything I think of could potentially mess up something else.

I've been writing various tools for myself that help organize morphs specifically, but honestly I'm probably going to end up pulling the content I 100% know I use then backup/remove everything else. Add things if I need them.

the scene collection from easymate is helpful early on to give you ideas of what is possible. bumblebaetuna is correct you should try it simply now and create your own scenes starting with an environment you like and character. patience pays off otherwise the experiences can feel somewhat shallow because scenes are customzed for their creators usually rather then you. experiment with morphs, some plugins, cloths, lighting treat it more as fun sandbox then a scene player. i'm relatively new too but had the same issue as u

Good advice, I have deleted everything bar my morphs and textures. I will work at creating my own scenes. Good advice too as I have saved so much space on my hard drive probably about 3/4 of 256GB drive!

I know this is an older post, but thought I'd mention that I run two installs of VaM now. One has all the "junk" - lots of outdated stuff, every package/scene/look/morph I've ever downloaded, probably even still has significant portions of EasyMate. I recently installed the second copy as my "development" space. While I primarily use it to create new scenes, only installing the plugins I need for the project I'm working on, I also use it to test scenes I've created (seeing if it properly gets all of the packages it needs.) It's also useful for general troubleshooting for other packages you install. Is this package wonky because the creator messed something up, or is it my nasty, trashy installation with all of the other add-ons that's causing it?

I have done something similar as @vamurai. I have an "All in" Installation of Vam that everything goes into.. A development installation for personal stuff and scenes. and ten a "Test" install in which i am unpacking all the var files I download and then place its contents to the specified directory paths, but any folders outside of the standard vam installation is deleted. This allows me to better track what's installed and where, shows me where files go such as hair, textures, decals, cloths and other assets. and allows me to better control duplicate files. plus if I have something that errors out because it cant find a file is super quick to find and correct. i even think vam runs a little better as well as far as loading stuff goes. i realize the var system is a method to make access to content easy by have one centralized place for all content. however issue still arise as i have found by unpacking var files directory structures can vary from package to package and if dependencies are placed in different places you end up with a load error or duplicates regardless. add to that its so much easier to organize everything. sure its time consuming initially but if your creating scenes for personal use or making videos of your content its a great way to set up. you can even use the extend directory structures from some uncompressed vars just keep in mind if you create a seance using anything from it, make sure you add that directory and files used in it to your package builder or it will spit up an error on other users machines.

of course, unpacking vars isnt for everyone and is likely not recommend for a variety of reasons, you can mess up your vam install if your not careful, this is just a personal choice.

i even think vam runs a little better as well as far as loading stuff goes.
100%

A clean install without a bunch of packages loads everything faster. Decompressing it all further improves load and access times.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom