• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Scenes, how do you play ? On what do you play ?

hazmhox

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Hey guys,

I'm working on extensive tests for my next scene, and trying to finish the overall game design of the story. I have a few things and mind, and for the plans I have, a question is making me crazy : how are you guys and gals experiencing scenes in VAM ?

Is it mostly desktop ? or VR ? Both ? There are no survey on the board so :
- For Desktop hit
note-01.gif

- VR hit
note-03.gif

- Both hit
note-02.gif

On another note, if you're using both (VR and Desktop), which one is your prefered ?

The scene will feature some interactive basic gameplay at least at the beginning. I'm saying basic, because at the moment it is mostly touching or grabing stuffs. But my main concern is that, it is really hard to have a fallback to something that fits a desktop experience unless I'm using buttons. But using buttons feels kinda ugly if you try to immerse yourself.

So my goal is to understand how is divided VAM's community between VR and Desktop... and by extension, how an interactive scene should be designed to allow most of you to experience it depending on your hardware and medium of choice.

Thanks in advance for your feedback !

PS : This should also be an interesting discussion to see how VAM 2.x could upgrade tools for creators to allow interactions on both mediums in the future.

While playing is obviously in VR, 95% of all developing happens in desktop mode. Simply because you won't want to wear that headset for hours and hours. Also any content made by other creators I look at first in desktop mode. If it isn't any good I won't even bother to setup VR (connecting the sensors, moving some chairs for space, etc).

=> Your content should at least be viewable in desktop, not necessarily interactable.

Yeap ! I do work 99.9% of the time in desktop mode when authoring / creating.

The main thing is, since interaction are made through collisions, even tho the scene could potentially be seen in desktop, the first interaction to start the scene is not working at the moment.

To give you a bit more context : my interaction are based on a particle system that hints the player to touch something. But since you can do that only using VR, I'm trying to find if there is a way to make a similar mechanic but working both on desktop and VR.

I'm trying to dig in raycast scripts that could simulate the collision when you hover / click with your mouse for instance.

You answered my question anyway, on your side, the scene should be working in both modes.

I won't ever judge a scene or piece of content until I've experianced it in VR. I might test in desktop mode to see if it works but VR is the true acid test.

I'm trying to dig in raycast scripts that could simulate the collision when you hover / click with your mouse for instance.

I've done raycast scripts before with other unity games, usually doing an 'all' and sorting through the resultant hits by distance, let me know if you would like an example. I wish there was a better method(maybe there is and I don't know) of quickly toggling mouse direction along one of the 3 movement axis - always feels like pushing a wet noodle on desktop when trying to move controllers before breaking down and opening the objects movement control while trying not to mistakenly select something overlapping in the scene/menu.

Usually I create a classic scene instead of getting bored after playing it once.
I like the "Dollmaster" plug-in very much. It is easy to use and fast. I modified the parameters to make it run better. I will also try to add new voices.

I've had this program for about a month now. Surprisingly, it was fairly easy to get started, what with all of the access to tutorials on just about everything and after multiple plays of those tutorials, I can do a scene and be proud of it. I wouldn't share it right now but, Ina year?... I could be posting on the hub, start me own Petreon or something. Please, DO not KILL the VR! It's my favorite part of building the scene... Sure it takes hours to build one, but After 15 min's in VR That's the best part of it for me. The immersion. It's like a reward for working your ass off with a tedious mouse and keyboard. I also, do the main bulk of the setup under the headset. After I've placed everything, then I'm on the computer getting specific and switching to the headset. working with the pluggins and still learning where it's at and what the hell was it called again? Cataloging and sorting all of those plugins and scene's is the worst part for me. Now, I have a Notepad. I hit the hub with my clicker finger ready and by the time I install all of it, and Patreon among others, I have to learn where everything will show up and why some of it didn't. always works out. Did I mention I have a notepad now. Awesome game/teaching tool for the future of gaming. Most interesting work of Art I have ever come across! Aces, Just all Aces!

It was just a thread to evaluate how users use VAM @Donstickton
There is no plan from meshed to kill the VR in VAM... that would be crazy ;)

People actually "play" VaM??? 😁 (I'm being facetious)

I've never actually downloaded or played a scene that someone else made...I know it sounds crazy. I have, however downloaded lots of looks, clothes, props etc. I dont have VR (yet...index coming by June), so my experience is flatscreen and mouse which kind of kills the fun I can only currently imagine it would be to do this in VR. At this point if there's something I want to see, I just make it...there are so many great tools out there in the community and combined with my own creativity, I haven't gotten bored yet! I'm waiting until I have VR to really get into other people's scenes because I want to experience them to the fullest potential as the author intended which generally includes the VR experience.

I've only been playing for a couple days now, but I'm so hooked I can't stop. I mean I'm still trying to learn everything, but already I find the desktop version to be nearly useless, or at the very least only 1/3 of the experience. It helps that I have a quest 2 so setting up my vr is ez pz and with the Vive Deluxe Audio Strap I can play for hours and hours and hardly realize I have a headset on. Still, desktop version feels really hard top select anything, and the UI is either to big, or too small, or just plain in the way. With VR mode everything fits nicely and I can move UI when I need. Also I can get up and move things around, although 80% of the time I just stay seated while I play.
Although, like I said Im new so all I really know how to do are make poses... so maybe for more advanced stuff Ill need to used desktop eventually. But for me VR is where this game shines.

Gotta say that I only experience this in VR! Once I got past all the same old sex scene stuff (some of it great by the way!) my hours (stuck a long way from home working) are spent creating custom looks from all the great content creators - particularly the ultra-realistic looks from @RenVR , @ddaamm etc. I have gravitated towards editing dance scenes from the brilliant mocap creators (@KittyMocap and @ReignMocap ), adjusting lighting and adding music then using OBS Studio to record short 'music videos' using the beautiful very realistic models I have adapted. Fascinating stuff and great fun - but by god! what a steep learning curve!

Back
Top Bottom