• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

How many VAR's do you have currently? Overall VAM files size?

EMPIR

Banned User
Reactions
Just wondering...

Currently I've 19K vars in total and almost 2TB vam files.

It's just crazy that this is not even half of all the vam content on internet. In this case soon i'll need more space for my ssds lol

jesus christ bro that's quite the collection. i'm suprised vam still loads

i'm on 900 vars, 80gigs. But only because it's too much of a hassle to delete some of them. I could probably take it down to low 200s

vam will not load when i put all vars. even if it's 5000 var.

I have about 50 GB from 1400 VARs in the AddonsPackages folder.
I'm on the opposite position, picky on what I keep and I remove older versions of a VAR. I also edit VARs and remove stuff in it I don't want to have my playing system neat and performant.
It was quite a challenge to get it like this, but now it's quite easy to mantain it clean and tidy.
I also edit the meta.json to get rid of unneed dependencies, my error log is empty 🏆 💯

I know of a few people that have even more than you, and I've no idea how they can use VAM like that.

Good question:
VAM Folder: 389 gb
Addonpackages: 268 gb --> 6013 Vars
Custom Folder: 67 gb
Saves Folder: 36 gb

Just too lazy to clean it all up. Still it taks some time to load.
I would love a clean VAM maybe i should start fresh and just add the needed vars

I would love a clean VAM maybe i should start fresh and just add the needed vars

you can install it multiple times. you can even run multiple instances at the same time. It's probably not recommended but I didn't notice any issues with it.

I have it intalled twice: the big vam where i download stuff and develop my plugins and a clean vam where I test my .vars before I release them so that to not mess up dependencies

Like SPQR, I have multiple installations of VAM

-Messy VAM, to download all the vars and test them out (very slow loading, like 2k vars)
-Best of VAM, where I only put in my favourite scenes and looks, hide everything unnecessary.
-Creator VAM, where I only have the scenes and dependencies I'm working on.
-Clean "virgin" VAM, to test my created var scenes

I think with VAM VAR MANAGER it's so much easier to make everything clean. He did a gods works...

you can install it multiple times. you can even run multiple instances at the same time. It's probably not recommended but I didn't notice any issues with it.

I have it intalled twice: the big vam where i download stuff and develop my plugins and a clean vam where I test my .vars before I release them so that to not mess up dependencies
Thanks for the tip.

Also have another install. I should follow crightens advice and start a "Best of VAM" where only the good stuff lives.

Been on a mission to clean up my install an pare back the var count significantly.

I'm on 19 11900k, 3080, 32 gb 3600 ddr4 using macgrubers benchmark to quantify the results

1000 vars removed = approximately extra 10-15 fps

Started with 5800 vars and now down to only 1800 (only lulz) but I have gained 70fps :love:

Any var with morphs and the preload morphs option active will double slow down your vam but the bigest killer is sheer var count. So far i have unpacked all my non sharable clothing vars to the local install as I tested and local clothes cost 0 fps but clothing vars leech fps.

The other upside to this is everything is much faster to load now, still not a patch on my clean build but compared to what it was daymn!

Just wondering...

Currently I've 19K vars in total and almost 2TB vam files.

It's just crazy that this is not even half of all the vam content on internet. In this case soon i'll need more space for my ssds lol

How the fuck is your vam even running with that many, my testing found 1000vars in the db = 10-15 fps loss

How the fuck is your vam even running with that many, my testing found 1000vars in the db = 10-15 fps loss

I didn't said i ran with 19k vars. I think vam can't handle 19k vars. Even 7k clothing vars took aegis to load.

Been on a mission to clean up my install an pare back the var count significantly.

I'm on 19 11900k, 3080, 32 gb 3600 ddr4 using macgrubers benchmark to quantify the results

1000 vars removed = approximately extra 10-15 fps

Started with 5800 vars and now down to only 1800 (only lulz) but I have gained 70fps :love:

Any var with morphs and the preload morphs option active will double slow down your vam but the bigest killer is sheer var count. So far i have unpacked all my non sharable clothing vars to the local install as I tested and local clothes cost 0 fps but clothing vars leech fps.

The other upside to this is everything is much faster to load now, still not a patch on my clean build but compared to what it was daymn!

So if you extract clothing vars and load vam it will not affect fps? Same for other vars too?

So if you extract clothing vars and load vam it will not affect fps? Same for other vars too?

So some stuff you can just open the var and dump the custom folder into your vam root folder and all it does is host locally and nothing breaks. Clothes, hair, custom unity assets and poses I have done with no issues and no quantifiable effect on fps outside a margin of error.

Scenes and looks should not be unpacked as you will break those by doing so.

Myself I have just unzipped anything that I'm never ever going to have a need to share which cut that var count down lots.

Indeed I too really hope there's a better way to handle all of this in 2.x I find it utterly ridiculous that inactive content is able to negatively impact performance by such a huge margin just by virtue of its very existence.

I don't even think that the 2000 vars I currently have is in any way excessive for a normal user since I'm basically left with my own content Damarmaus and ddaamms looks, all the hair I could find and my favourite scenes from spacedog, nicho, vamurai and ruthvens plus a few mocaps and random scenes plus all the myriad versions of the same plugins to make it all work! I cant really need 150 diff versions of timeline right.....

What id kill for right now is a scan hub for missing dependencies for just the scene I wanna run!

All VAM needs is better optimized system. Hope devs think about this on vam 2.

What id kill for right now is a scan hub for missing dependencies for just the scene I wanna run!
There's a way to just that. No need to kill anybody, really.

First, you've got to open the "Package Manager" from VAM, click on the scene you wanna run and then use the "Open On Hub" button.
1658738243508.png

It'll open VAM's Hub browser on the chosen resource.
You could also directly open the "Hub browser" included in VAM and then find the scene you wanna run.

From there, you'll see all the missing or out-of-date dependencies that you can download/update in 1 click. You'll even find a "Download All" button.
1658737452651.png

1658737752612.png

My VaM folder is around 300gb to 400gb big. I also planned to clean everything up and also put everything in different sub folders. Like plugins with plugins, clothing with clothing, environments with environments etc.

I also have VaM on a external SSD driver on USB3.1. It works great though, everything loads fast. I don't work with HDD's anymore, yikes.... 😱

Plug and play and if my computers break, I still have everything on my external SSD. I also planned in making back ups to a second SSD drive, so I won't lose anything if my SSD decides to say goodbye!

I recently moved my VAM installation from HDD to external SSD too. I also back it up sometimes to my server. My whole VAM is 120 GB, so I wish there was an easy way to clean it from unnecessary files, because I have low end system and every frame counts. I already tried cleaning it once in the past but it broke several looks and scenes so I had to recover everything from backup, but If what @Juno says is true about vars and framerate then I have to clean my VAM somehow.

I'm 90% of the way done on a guide based on my experience with my clean up to help with that!! I'm hoping to get time to get it done and dusted this week

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom