PostMagic
Whelp, I've tried on a clean install and same deal.

I would like to use this plugin but if it breaks editing in VR then I'll drop the idea and move on.

Is it seriously only me getting this bug? What is going on here?
Sorry, didn't have time to look into this, yet. But I would assume you have some other plugin interfering, maybe? Anything else that also messes with Camera/UI rendering order will break PostMagic. The only exception is SuperShot/SuperVideo.

As a work around you could edit in DesktopMode?

Sorry, didn't have time to look into this, yet. But I would assume you have some other plugin interfering, maybe? Anything else that also messes with Camera/UI rendering order will break PostMagic. The only exception is SuperShot/SuperVideo.

As a work around you could edit in DesktopMode?
Thanks for getting back to me.

No I don't have any other plugins, it happens with a completely clean scene. I get the same issue with scenes made by others that include the Postmagic, it's quite frustrating.

Unfortunately I work mostly in VR and getting the lighting balance right is something I do over a long period of time as I build the scene so postmagic will be too much of a pain to use.

If nothing can be done then fair enough, it was just an idea to use the plugin.

Here is a test scene that displays the issue if you want to check it out, just the default female with postmagic at the scene origin. The menu will appear correctly if you are close to her but move more than 2m back and it will fail to appear.

Attachments

• postmagic 3.json
    65.2 KB · Views: 0
Here is a test scene that displays the issue if you want to check it out, just the default female with postmagic at the scene origin. The menu will appear correctly if you are close to her but move more than 2m back and it will fail to appear.
Ok, I try to have a look eventually, but it might be a while.
Meanwhile, check for auto-loading session plugins or stuff like that.

Cool. I've never used an auto loading session plugin, also it happens on a clean VAM install.
90% Sure it's some weird conflict. I get the same thing when trying to change scenes if the mod is in the session. Trying to figure a fix.

Any chance you got multiple PostMagic in your scene? Because that probably won't work. If I remember correctly, for example VamX does include a copy of PostMagic somewhere, without actually showing up as obvious reference.

As you can see in my example scene above, it is just an empty scene with a person and a postmagic Empty atom at the scene origin.

I have also now tested with different drivers just in case, I knew it was a long shot but it didn't make a difference.

So I have finally found the cause of the disappearing menu. It is Windows Mixed Reality causing the issue, tried with a Rift S and the problem doesn't happen. It's weird because I've not met a similar issue anywhere else in VAM or in any other app or game.

Glad to see I wasn't the only one with this issue;).

I find to work around it, you must back far away from the center of the scene before activating the plugin (You can have it loaded, just don't turn it on). Also make sure you turn off the plugin before saving the scene. If not, you come back to the scene with the invisible menu and get dizzy trying to find ito_O.

Another issue I've found is if your camera in Vam is on and you turn on the plugin, everything will flip upside-down and give you the view of the camera:unsure: .Yet if you turn on the camera after the plugin is on, it'll work fine.

I'm sure these issues has to do with a WMR updated, because this amazing plugin used to work just fine for me.

Would anyone be able to answer a few basic best practices type questions? I've been loading PostMagic as a session plugin, and getting the DoF etc. dialed in then taking the screenshot with SuperShot seems to work. Is this the best method for individual shots? If I use the built in VaM screenshot tool it wants to use it's own Depth of Field over the PostMagic settings, and I haven't figured out how to apply the DoF etc. settings to the WindowCamera accurately, though to be fair I haven't messed with the autofocus features yet.

Finally, is there way to apply independent PostMagic settings in conjunction with SuperShot's custom camera function? If this merits it's own thread please let me know so I can move it. Thanks!

Is this the best method for individual shots?
In my opinion PostMagic should be part of the scene, as you would want different settings for each scene?

If I use the built in VaM screenshot tool it wants to use it's own Depth of Field over the PostMagic settings, and I haven't figured out how to apply the DoF etc. settings to the WindowCamera accurately, though to be fair I haven't messed with the autofocus features yet.
I assume you tweaked your DoF settings in regular player view and then switched to screenshot camera or window camera, which have a different FoV. Also the camera maybe at a different position. Both will affect DoF. Using AutoFocus will help, but it has its limits. You need to tweak settings to where you want to take the picture in the end, not the player view.

Finally, is there way to apply independent PostMagic settings in conjunction with SuperShot's custom camera function?
Sure. You should be able to adjust PostMagic settings through triggers. Also you can turn on/off your "SuperShot#XXX" position atoms via triggers as well. That's all you need. So for example using a LogicBricks StateMachine you could do something like this:

For each screenshot you want to take, setup a state in the StateMachine. After you setup the first you can use the handy "Duplicate" function and then just change the things that need to be different. Each state should have a duration of like 1 second and each state should transition to the following state. For triggers, setup the following:

OnEnter:​
  • Set all the PostMagic settings needed for this screenshot
  • Enable position atom "SuperShot#X" for this screenshot
  • Trigger a Delay brick which, after 0.5 seconds, takes a screenshot via trigger (TakeScreenshotCustom). This is to make sure PostMagic settings are all applied correctly, there are some temporal effects.
OnExit:​
  • Enable position atom "SuperShot#X" for this screenshot

To start the whole thing, switch the StateMachine to the first state.

Thanks so much for the detailed response! The StateMachine trick is definitely not something I'd have ever figured out on my own. I'll have to dig more into LogicBricks for sure.

Hello there, i'm having a little issue with PostMagic...I'm not sure if it's Post Magic or something with the model, but whenever i turn the plugin on I get these 2 little dots on her hair that worsen depending on which effects i turn on in PostMagic. I'm not sure how to go about finding the root of the problem here

Attachments

• Loba Error.jpg
    Loba Error.jpg
    257.7 KB · Views: 0
Hello there, i'm having a little issue with PostMagic...I'm not sure if it's Post Magic or something with the model, but whenever i turn the plugin on I get these 2 little dots on her hair that worsen depending on which effects i turn on in PostMagic. I'm not sure how to go about finding the root of the problem here
It's a defect of the geometry in the model or a malfunctioning material shader on the model. Most likely simply two degenerate triangles. Newer post-effect solutions would offer you a filter for this, that, at the cost of some performance, fixes the issue for you. However, since PostMagic is based on super old stuff (that can't be updated) it does not handle this issue. Nothing I can do. You will have to fix the geometry/shader.

It's a defect of the geometry in the model or a malfunctioning material shader on the model. Most likely simply two degenerate triangles. Newer post-effect solutions would offer you a filter for this, that, at the cost of some performance, fixes the issue for you. However, since PostMagic is based on super old stuff (that can't be updated) it does not handle this issue. Nothing I can do. You will have to fix the geometry/shader.

Gotcha, thank you so much for your quick response. How exactly would I go about fixing the geometry/shader myself for the model?

Gotcha, thank you so much for your quick response. How exactly would I go about fixing the geometry/shader myself for the model?
A degenerated triangle is the most likely. It means its a triangle where two or all three vertices are at the same position. So it's not an area, but a line or just a dot. That might mean it does not have a valid normal or similar things in the shader, which then results in division by zero...causing "bad pixels" that have a "NaN color". Usually these are just black, but when using post-effects the problem can spread to neighboring pixels, simply because any computation including a "NaN" value is again "NaN".

A degenerated triangle is the most likely. It means its a triangle where two or all three vertices are at the same position. So it's not an area, but a line or just a dot. That might mean it does not have a valid normal or similar things in the shader, which then results in division by zero...causing "bad pixels" that have a "NaN color". Usually these are just black, but when using post-effects the problem can spread to neighboring pixels, simply because any computation including a "NaN" value is again "NaN".
Is this something i could fix in VirtAMate? The "Hair" for this model is actually categorized as a piece of clothing so i'm not sure how I would fix the degenerated triangle if I can do it from VaM

Nope, you need to fix the mesh itself. However, most geometry editing software (e.g. Blender) has a "merge vertices" or "collapse vertices" function for this kind of thing. But I don't know enough about clothing import from Daz to help here.

How to instal that plugins ? where should i add it and what file (there are so many if i try postmagic :)

Back
Top Bottom