Performance Patch (up to 30% more physics speed)

On 5800x3d
[threads]
computeColliders=6
skinmeshPart=1
affinity=1,3,5,7,9,11,13,15

Before patch
1707479637275.png

After Patch
1707479659062.png

FPS is about the same but physics time is a bit lower.

disabling HT in the bios doesn't look at all so wise or practical for people they use intel system even for normal tasks/gaming besides vam. And... reading "various" smart mixed results/comments related to patch 10 with the new "affinity" setting option it seems (for instance) that this HW monitor list should be not useful to detect wich p-Core number we should consider to compile correctly SkinMeshPartDLL.ini. I had no issues using release 9 of the patch. I am very very confused about the updated patch performance (meaning: how to get a fine result with it) and considering that my 13700k seems to work ok with patch9 I prefere to wait until... the situation becomes more clear/peculiar/unique for retired users like me, low level skill.
View attachment 333107

View attachment 333109
if patch9 works for you, you can just use the newest version and put
affinity=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,10,11,12,13,14,15,16
it results in the same behaviour

disabling HT in the bios doesn't look at all so wise or practical for people they use intel system even for normal tasks/gaming besides vam.
Well, as for vanilla VaM [no patch from turtlebackgoofy] disabling HT is really a 'must' for VaM for intel platform. Since not all the physics are able to multithread and VaM still prefers high single core speed over multicores, it still true for the patch.
I also disagree with above statement, unles you're playing in online fps games when only thing thats matter is fps\time reaction [like 200 fps vs 250 lol].
i9 13900k, even with HT disabled, can handle all 'tasks' just fine. And i'm saying this from a prespective of 'model creator' - 3ds max \ blender \ daz, hentai games enjoyer unpacking rars \ other archives, AAA gamer. I wasn't able to tell the difference between HT on \ off at 'usual task'. I'm not saying it doesn't help. It propably does. But at high end it's barely noticable for an end user. Especially if you play games at 4K lol.
Personally idc if my blender scene will load 0.5 sec faster, if i would loose 20fps in VaM at the same time.
However another user saw very slight gains on disabling e-cores and hyperthreading on his 13900k https://hub.virtamate.com/threads/performance-patch-up-to-30-more-physics-speed.49679/post-148760
Just a clarification. My test were on 'stock' cpu settings, with only HT option disabled. I didn't disabled e-cores, they were there all along, i just 'forced' the pacth to work on P-cores.

Getting even higher FPS now with optimized morphs processing. Will try multithreaded morphs next. Scenes with naturalis/tittymagic or just heavily morphed characters already have halved morph times.
Benchmark-20240209-234857.png

I can't get this to work? Vam doesn't crash, it just never finish loading? I tried pasting recommended settings for my cpu in ini file. I have a 13900k.

No scene. The game itself. I start the game and it never finishes loading. I removed your mod and it worked again?
did you put the dll in the right location?
vam\PerformancePatches\SkinMeshPartDLL.dll
do you have any other stuff installed? like with bepinex or reshader

Yes. I followed the readme file. I don't, however, know if my cpu supports avx2 or sse (don't know what those are) so maybe I was supposed to use one of those ini files?

do you have any other stuff installed? like with bepinex or reshader
No, I don't have bepinex or reshader. I did a search in vam folder to make sure I hadn't installed either of them and forgotten.

Yes. I followed the readme file. I don't, however, know if my cpu supports avx2 or sse (don't know what those are) so maybe I was supposed to use one of those ini files?
your cpu supports AVX2 and if it didnt the game should crash. Really no idea what is happening.

your cpu supports AVX2 and if it didnt the game should crash. Really no idea what is happening.
Guess I must have messed something else up then. To doublecheck. My ini file should look like this right?

Attachments

• SkinMeshPartDLL.png
    SkinMeshPartDLL.png
    76 KB · Views: 0
It's getting ridiculous... I wasn't even able to test v11 in the actual VaM gameplay, and there is v12 alive already...
I love it!
v12.png

Actually a latest few builds of naturalis improved performance by a lot [since .59.var i think?] It's lighter than vanilla soft body breasts now somehow oO
But ... i really appreciate this feature for expression morphs\randomizers. Sometimes they needs to have bones [tongue morphs...] and this kills fps easily.
It will be probably helpful perfomance wise for MMD too, for fast hands and expressions morphs. Win-win!

Last edited:
@trety mate do you have threadsVR config for v12?

I still haven't tested new version in VR, so i left them at default, with only affinity changes i made as for 13900k non-HT.
Code:
[threads]
computeColliders=8
skinmeshPart=1
applyMorphs=8
skinmeshPartMaxPerChar=8
applyMorphMaxPerChar=8
affinity=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

[threadsVR]
computeColliders=4
skinmeshPart=1
applyMorphs=2
skinmeshPartMaxPerChar=4
applyMorphMaxPerChar=2
affinity=1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8

[profiler]
enabled=0
Sorry it was too long to paste all settings on benchmark ss :D

was testing the last patch release (with recommended setting for i713700(k) and without HT):

and... I think honestly that this can be the most crap I was using till now (after vam-x)
considering some tragic bugs I was getting with the last "release" (a real farting release) and other negative elements, the only positive thing was for me to disable HT (I feel grateful for that). The rest is euphory and glory for amd users, maybe. For the xxxxx with i9 and 4090 too :ROFLMAO:

Went back to the original .dll and I don't regret.
The 'recommended' settings for intel are totally wrong from my testings. It gives slightly better results with HT enabled vs vanilla game dlls, but not much. There is something weird, and newest version [12] works even worse on suggested settings than the older ones, especially with HT off.

But with settings changes i made and disabling HT, it's like night and day.

You're using 13700k and it does have exact same number of P-cores as 13900k so you should be fine using the same settings as i do with very similiar results. Also, if i remember correctly ... someone with 13700k had the best 'vanilla' game physics times for intel for a long time in benchmark thread [beating all of i9s, mine included -_-].
You can find my settings in the post above yours.

All the bugs i found in previous versions seems to be fixed by now [missing local, in-build morphs etc]. So it would be helpful if you would elaborate what bugs happened for you instead of saying 'i got bugs, it's bad'

I saw morphs discussed at the start of this then no real conclusion.

hijku said:
One part that I can't understand: Why VaM with ~5k vars makes my scenes to have like 20-30 fps less than clean vam instance.
I understand that a lot of vars can slow down startup and loading times but why does it affects fps when everything is loaded."

There is a "preload morphs" tickbox in the package manager. If you untick this the morphs don't load (amazingly much faster boot time for VaM) and they do not appear in the Morph list in game if you open the scene editor.
Does this mean they are NOT contributing to the frame rate drop from processing "all" morphs in this instance? I couldn't work out what "disabled" morphs etc meant.
I unticked preload morphs on basically all my var files and my VaM, if nothing else loads and runs smoother. All the menus are snappier. I found it hard to tell on frame rate as I have done so many other changes at the same time to compare.

I saw morphs discussed at the start of this then no real conclusion.

hijku said:
One part that I can't understand: Why VaM with ~5k vars makes my scenes to have like 20-30 fps less than clean vam instance.
I understand that a lot of vars can slow down startup and loading times but why does it affects fps when everything is loaded."

There is a "preload morphs" tickbox in the package manager. If you untick this the morphs don't load (amazingly much faster boot time for VaM) and they do not appear in the Morph list in game if you open the scene editor.
Does this mean they are NOT contributing to the frame rate drop from processing "all" morphs in this instance? I couldn't work out what "disabled" morphs etc meant.
I unticked preload morphs on basically all my var files and my VaM, if nothing else loads and runs smoother. All the menus are snappier. I found it hard to tell on frame rate as I have done so many other changes at the same time to compare.
in vanilla vam when a morph is preloaded, it is available for the character and gets iterated through on every frame, even if it is sitting at 0.00 morph value (it doesnt do math calculations, but simply checking for !=0.00 costs CPU too, especially if there are 30k morphs).
My patch fixed this, only once it has been changed from 0.00 to another value it gets iterated through, that way it doesnt matter for FPS how many morphs are installed. There are still other FPS issues with having a lot of vars installed, but I havent investigated them yet.
What I also fixed was the resetting of characters on every cloth item beeing loaded at scene loading.
What I cant fix is the UI beeing sluggish with many vars installed, you need to be able to see the clothing icons and for that you need to unpack the .var and hook it into the UI. Well unless I completely rewrite the whole UI system, but I'm not gonna do that.

"My patch fixed this, only once it has been changed from 0.00 to another value it gets iterated through"
So I don't need to untick "preload morphs" on every Var and because that won't make any difference with your patch?
I mean, I still did it and load times are dramatically improved which is nice. But other people don't need to if they use this mod, nice to know.

"My patch fixed this, only once it has been changed from 0.00 to another value it gets iterated through"
So I don't need to untick "preload morphs" on every Var and because that won't make any difference with your patch?
I mean, I still did it and load times are dramatically improved which is nice. But other people don't need to if they use this mod, nice to know.
load times are still faster with unticking "preload morphs", but FPS shouldnt see any difference ticked or unticked now.

Back
Top Bottom