Little Timeline Animation tip for randomness

rokoc

Reactions
If like me, you suck at animating in Acid Bubbles amazing Timeline plugin I just stumbled across another way of doing things that make my very robotic animations come to life a little bit more by adding a bit of randomness through speed variation.

My scenes start off well but start to get very confusing with all the keyframes and targets added to an animation. spent countless hours working on something only to scrap it.

I dont know if anyone else does this so thought i would post it. I use waaaay less keyframes now and productivity is getting better.

what I do is add my male and female then add Timeline to each. I add a small sphere and disable physics and collision and add another Timeline plugin to the sphere.

as an example I'll do a handjob animation.

I'll pose the models how I want and "Overwrite Pose/use current pose" in timeline to save it. on the female atoms Timeline I add the head control as a target and set the animation length to 30 seconds. For the male I usually only have the arousal slider from Vamtacos Autocock plugin as a target in Timeline. Also Acids improvedpov as im sick of looking at him.

head over to the sphere. Btw i added the Timeline plugin to the sphere so i can move it around the scene for quick access to the timeline plugin. you can add it to an empty or scene plugin.

In the sphere, add left or right or both hand controller of the female as a target and leave the animation length at 2 seconds. go to the 1 second mark in the scrubber, select your hand and move it up a bit to add a keyframe.

Great she's whacking you off but its still robotic.

Next I add Everlasters FloatParamRandomizerEE plugin to the sphere as well. I name this "HJ" in the plugin screen because ill have one for each "Act" and enable/disable accordingly.

In the float param plugin set the atom to the Sphere, select the timeline plugin as the receiver and "Speed" as the target, enable randomness and set the lower and upper value to something i like 1s,3s for example.

looking a bit better now, she varies the speed of her handjob but there's not much else going on.

head back to the female atom and in to Timeline I animate the head every 1 second just kinda randomly picking which way to rotate the head around looking up, down, tilting etc. it's infinitely easier and faster than doing a heavily loaded scrubber with too much going on. even better add the chest and animate that slightly too.

That's pretty much it. just created a very easy animation that looks pretty convincing and non robotic and with very very little effort and for a bit extra movement you can setup atoms joints like in apetitevisual's biorigs. works really well for some poses making other joints move.

I ended up down this route after trying cyclforces and the idea of rotating it to change the movement but it wasnt reliable, then i had the idea of using an animation pattern and adding the float randomizer plugin to deal with its speed but got frustrated with that.

using layers in Timeline sprung to mind for just the hj part but either I couldn't figure out how to make the layer speed varied Timeline doesnt work like that. Then eurika, add another timeline plugin and that was it....my new preferred way to animate. I blasted through a really good rough sketch of my scene(hj,tittyjob,bj,female solo masturbation,sex scene,another sex scene and a big old cumshot) good enough for a hand shandy in like 2 days.

hope this helps someone or gives people ideas. Maybe there is a better way to do this but it works and i'm pretty pleased with the results.

Its very easy to animate if you have a VR device, like quest2/3, you can simply record motions in VR, its very easy, and it will look very convincing (y)

The key to "non-robotic" animation is using animation layers that interact randomly. That way you don't get repeating patterns. The problem you need to work around is that human brains are good at recognizing patterns...

Here is my usual setup (copy&paste from another thread, I posted this a couple of times already, but its still true and helpful, I think)

My usual setup is something like this, layers in other of importance to make a character to apear to be "alive" instead of a dead robot:
  1. Eye blink (=> e.g. VaM build-in "Auto Blink")
  2. Breathing (=> e.g. Life plugin)
    • Idle animation of chest, stomach, nose, mouth, lips
    • Matching breathing sounds in sync with animation
  3. Micro head movement (=> e.g. Gaze plugin, part of Life)
  4. Micro eye movement (=> Glance plugin)
    • I think you need to switch the video below to "HD" to see it
  5. Shifting facial expressions (=> e.g. VaM build-in "Auto Expressions")
  6. Occasionally shifting marco focus, looking at different things in the world
  7. Macro hand movement (=> IdlePoser or Timeline plugins)
  8. Marco body movement (=> IdlePoser or Timeline plugins)
  9. (Having other animated things in your scene besides characters also helps.....e.g. those swinging chains)
All of those just play mostly independently of each other with random timings....so you have some slight controlled chaos...aka "Life".
Example with just Life, Gaze, Glance and 5 instances of IdlePoser (eye target, marco body, left hand, right hand, fingers over the remote):

The video doesn't show a handjob, but she is rubbing her pussy. The principle is the same. With IdlePoser you would create an animation for the hand, relative to a moving "anchor". That anchor is basically your sphere idea...I usually use an Empty atom, but the purpose is the same. With IdlePoser you could setup a number of poses for the hand (="States") it would randomly switch between, like different finger poses, etc. All is relative to the moving anchor, which is animated by AnimPattern, Timeline or just a LinearAnimation brick (from LogicBricks). Speed is best controlled using a ValueUpDown brick, with a StateMachine brick (both LogicBricks) controlling the speed. The benefit is that such a setup can neatly acceelerate/decellerate as well precisely stop at the top or bottom while also giving you a trigger signal, allowing you do to things like smoothly swapping hands, etc.

Download the LogicBricks demos and check out "Example 24". Its a simple version of handjob, without most of the other layers around it (which should make it a bit easier to grasp). Note how the IdlePoser has States "Handjob1" and "Handjob2" the character is alternating between. It's just a slightly different rotation of the hand, but it could as well be more states with different finger poses, a 2-finger handjob, etc... Central control for that example is done by yet another StateMachine. It controlls moving the hand off to the side to show how you could realize swapping hands or switching to something entirely different.

Back
Top Bottom