Leapmotion Update to Ultraleap "Gemini" (Not needed for VAM 1.2.x)

Other Leapmotion Update to Ultraleap "Gemini" (Not needed for VAM 1.2.x)

GossamerVR

Featured Contributor
Reactions
GossamerVR submitted a new resource:

Leapmotion Update to Ultraleap "Gemini" - a library and guide to updating leapmotion to Gemini in VAM

Hello, Lovelies.

This is a guide to upgrading VAM's leapmotion installation to use the latest tracking from Ultraleap.
Before we proceed, to save you some time, you should know this will require you to do the following:

Read more about this resource...

I have the leap working just not in VaM. I replaced the DLL but do I need to load the plugin within VaM as a scene plugin somehow? I do not see my hands in VR .
No, you shouldn't need to do anything in VaM. Replacing the library and installing ultraleap is all.

You do need to uninstall any previous leap motion tracking software, as installing the new one won't do that for you. Then make sure you have the latest tracking software running (https://developer.leapmotion.com/tracking-software-download)
In your program tray it used to look like the little device but now it should look like a logo ->
1657630745436.png

Make sure the ultraleap software is running, and then your hands should be tracked in VaM.
If they aren't after the above, I would first check that you replaced the library in the correct path (especially if you have multiple installations), which is <vam>/VaM_Data/Plugins and that you're definitely using the new library.

If everything checks out, I would debug the tracking software through their built in tools, outside of VaM. Test to make sure it's tracking in its own headset mode. If your hands are showing up there, then running VaM they should show up.
1657630953460.png

I have the leap working just not in VAM. I replaced the DLL but do I need to load the plugin within vam as a scene plugin somehow? I do not see my hands in VR .
me too cannot see my hand s in VR can u let me know how to show it please

how to do it please bro
In User Preferences: VR2,
Make sure the "Left/Right Enabled" toggles in the leap motion area are active
1663660428121.png

In the main toolbar you can Toggle VR Hands to turn hands off and on.
1663660513393.png

If leapmotion is detecting your program, this should work

thanks, bros do I need to wear a VR Headsets if don't wear a VR headset can also show the hands on the screen?

The upgrade should work for desktop mode too, but to get started with desktop leap:
AcidBubbles has a utility for helping make sure your leap motion works on desktop mode outside of VR

all links and buttons seem to be working for me. Was it their Gemini download button not working for you?

Didnt, and doesn't. When I click the green Download Gemini button i get this message:
Hmm. We’re having trouble finding that site.

We can’t connect to the server at www2.leapmotion.com.

Maybe there is a redirect issue that my browser or pihole doesnt like. up to your post i wasnt sure if it was me or general.

amazing, never thought I would get it to run after so many fails.

Big thank you, works amazingly well with UL Stereo IR 170 and Pimax8KX!

So when a hand loses tracking for a sec, happens a lot when moving my head, this hand gets stuck inside models a lot, making everything weird and glitchy.
No really usable in this way. Are there maybe mods that help? Aren't others having this same problem?

It's not fully optimal. You have to learn when UL loses track / what is the FOV. If you are seated, the girl is standing and you want to grab her breast you have to look up a bit. Always locate the hands below your head if you don't look up. Not only my UL "hands" got stuck in some models sometimes, same happens with other... members of your virtual body. When I move my IndexControllers out of the FOV of my Lighthouses their simulated counterparts in VAM dash into the infinity like a bullet and sometimes take the girl with them.

I only use my UL hands very gentle and careful, they are very useful for polling your finger status, but for working on the model nothing beats the controllers in 3D (still inferior to mouse in 2D sometimes)

So when a hand loses tracking for a sec, happens a lot when moving my head, this hand gets stuck inside models a lot, making everything weird and glitchy.
No really usable in this way. Are there maybe mods that help? Aren't others having this same problem?

Unfortunately, while Gemini is a huge step up from Orion / version 4, there's still a limited frontal cone where tracking is stable. I sometimes have to "re-introduce" my hands to the camera by bringing them closer and looking at my palm, but when hand collision is on you're right this can be an issue.

I recommend the following:

1) Ensure the ultraleap camera is clean, as smudges will disrupt hand tracking
2) if you are using hands only to grab clothing, you can disable hand collision and still interact with clothing
3) Test in an empty scene the extents at which your hand tracking is stable, so you can get used to the range of motion

Thanks for the reply's!
I stopped using Leap because I can't combine it with Vive trackers. I link a toy/penis to my Vive tracker which works way better then possessing/embody, no body parts in the way and scaling crap and stuff, but when I turn on Leap this Link with the tracker stops working. Probably no solution to this, but if anyone knows please let me know! :)

Vam+Leap Motion does it work for Oculus Rift?
It should work with any headset because it's a separate device.
however, you should know the newest version of VAM should come with this pre-installed I believe, so there's no longer any reason to use this guide (except to learn about installing the new Ultraleap tracker software). I will update it but keep it up for posterity in case people use an older version of VAM

Last edited:
Has anyone had a chance to try it with Motion controller version 2 ? Does it work and is it better ?

Thanks to the testers ^^ :)

Back
Top Bottom