Is gameplay and story a thing people are interested in?

What is your idealistic scene?

• Total voters

Omega

Reactions
Patreon
OmegaVAM
What is the people's generally idealistic scene?

I have some ideas for a new scene that would essentially serve as a spiritual successor to my "In Spirit" scene (pun intended), but I don't want to put a lot of work into something that the community may not especially be that into.

"Straight into the action" would be your standard sex scene, with buttons to change between different animations and that's about it.
By Story I am referring to in-scene dialogue with actual options that make a difference towards what kind of action you get within the scene.
By Gameplay I am meaning quite literally gameplay, like mini-games or something similar to do and you are rewarded based on your performance, etc.

I'm really curious to see how the community are split on this, because I imagine some of us are here purely to just get the job done whereas I feel some of us would also like to savour the moment a bit more and feel more involved with what's happening.

I think it's a mistake to assume that all users have the same wants all the time. Each user will likely vary, or have a spread of interests over time. Sometimes you do just want the action, sometimes a story, or a challenge to solve is nice. Some will lean to one end of that spectrum consistently, others will try other things.

This is the big reason that I believe all surveys are inherently flawed. Every survey presupposes a certain range of responses, or misses the context of why people feel a certain way.

The idea of the poll was to get an average of all the responses, I can't make a scene that each and every individual will think is spectacular - it's just to get an idea of what people think as a whole. Hence "the people's generally idealistic scene", with the people kind of grouping everybody together rather than as individuals.

So I voted for "I like a bit of backstory, but mostly action." but I'd like to be more descriptive what hides behind this. Literally few words about the scene, few examples:

This wouldn't be the same without a sentence or two before each scene. Dunno why but I really like it.

This one is great... some sort of a contest

This despite of lack of any text is great because of environment. Party sounds make it easier to create your own "story".

That's really what it takes, a little details can make huge difference.

About that last option - gameplay before action... can you guys give any example scenes? I played one scene something about tavern and providing right beer for clients otherwise they would get angry. I didn't enjoy it but that's really the only one with gameplay I've found. Is there more of this?

So I voted for "I like a bit of backstory, but mostly action." but I'd like to be more descriptive what hides behind this. Literally few words about the scene, few examples:

This wouldn't be the same without a sentence or two before each scene. Dunno why but I really like it.

This one is great... some sort of a contest

This despite of lack of any text is great because of environment. Party sounds make it easier to create your own "story".

That's really what it takes, a little details can make huge difference.

About that last option - gameplay before action... can you guys give any example scenes? I played one scene something about tavern and providing right beer for clients otherwise they would get angry. I didn't enjoy it but that's really the only one with gameplay I've found. Is there more of this?

This a great response, thanks for taking the time to write this and link your examples. I'll take this into consideration when I decide my final verdict.

TLDR: The actual ENV the scene takes place in, is enough of a 'story' for me (or the context of the scene, provided by the ENV, is enough).

For me I guess my 'ideal' scene is one where there's maybe a little bit of context based on the environment, maybe. But beyond that really I can make (and prefer to) my own "story" for said scene. So example, when I load a Scene I don't want to watch a movie, or read pages I need to click on to move on to the next 'chapter', or wait until characters slowly animate (or talk) to the next 'part' of an elaborated scene that already probably took me 10 minutes to load up.

Taking some example here so let's say a scene is built in a Classroom ENV, and the 'subject' / context is obviously about that cute teacher when she's alone. That's the context, you understand it, no need to elaborate or make her (or him) talk. No need to press trigger UI buttons to move on to some chapter with fade-to-black screens and having to load up different parts of the scene. It's enough from the very beginning to have 1) The ENV being the Classroom, 2) The girl (or the man, whatever) at her desk looking at you and that's it, from there give me some simple animation triggers for the action and that's enough. The actual 'story' (if any) will come in my mind as I play the scene.

So basically my preference is to let me make my own story, with some 'support' coming from the ENV / context of the scene. However, I don't mind much if a scene does have a story. If so, I'll judge if I have time to 'deal' with a scene like that, how much of it can be skipped, etc. I might still try it. But I might also just delete it because it's just too elaborated for my preferences. So I'm not here to tell authors to stop doing it. There should be something for everyone in the Hub to be honest. But speaking for myself yeah... the more story / writing / voicing is involved the less time I have to appreciate the scene.

I would like to see more game and story scenes. Unfortunately VAM is not best to create those. I love creations of PetaZwega:

They are funny, with good sound, some story, sth different than simple animated fuck loop with speed slider .

Ispinox's is also very good with it's presentation system:

Also Ruthven2000's scenes are nice because each has separate interesting "setup".

Last edited:
I would like to see more game and story scenes. Unfortunately VAM is not best to create those. I love creations of PetaZwega:

They are funny, with good sound, some story, sth different than simple animated fuck loop with speed slider .

Ispinox's is also very good with it's presentation system:

Also Ruthven2000's scenes are nice because each has separate interesting "setup".
[/QUOT
@Nial scene "Investigate me" is also imho a rare masterpiece ... finesse elegance, dialogues (!!) and vintage effects, good transitions

Back
Top Bottom