How to use Passthrough in VAM (VR/AR)

Guides How to use Passthrough in VAM (VR/AR)

Could you clarify "Launch VAM (VR Version) on your PC"? When I run the vam.exe it just opens the app in a window on the desktop, within virtualdesktop?

Could you clarify "Launch VAM (VR Version) on your PC"? When I run the vam.exe it just opens the app in a window on the desktop, within virtualdesktop?
If you are new to using VAM with Virtual Desktop, the easiest method is to go into the VAM folder while in Virtual Desktop, and double click on VAM(OpenVR).bat.

If you want a better performance guide for Virtual Desktop, you can try this

If you are new to using VAM with Virtual Desktop, the easiest method is to go into the VAM folder while in Virtual Desktop, and double click on VAM(OpenVR).bat.

If you want a better performance guide for Virtual Desktop, you can try this
I still can't seem to get it working properly. I've tried both oculus bat and openvr bat options, following the steps. Each time it still launches as a flat/curved screen in virtual desktop in headset.

I still can't seem to get it working properly. I've tried both oculus bat and openvr bat options, following the steps. Each time it still launches as a flat/curved screen in virtual desktop in headset.
Nevermind! Got it working using the bat file calling stream desktop to play the vam.exe!

Edit: and WOW is this a game changer!!!!

Last edited:
Hello All-

I have read through the instructions and the comments. I setup Virtual Desktop on the PC and headset. The Enable "VRPassthrough" Check box is not available. It is greyed out. What did I miss? I have a Quest 2.

Thanks

Hello All-

I have read through the instructions and the comments. I setup Virtual Desktop on the PC and headset. The Enable "VRPassthrough" Check box is not available. It is greyed out. What did I miss? I have a Quest 2.

Thanks
only works with 90hz refresh rate or under. You probably have it set to 120hz.

Hello All-

Thanks
What TRSD said, 90hz max, and also Super Resolution (SGSR) must be off

passthrough is possible on index, you can enable the camera in steamvr settings and after a restart from there enable 3d room view and translucent passthrough room view style, in your vr menu there is an eye icon to then display your camera, it will overlay the camera on your vr, simply load into vam and as long as there is a pure black background your room will be visible in the scene space.

this is janky, and your room isn't entirely visable, nor is it actually ar passthrough, however it "works" if you're thinking all is lost on index, hopefully someone can implement a better system because the index is very capable of fully showing your room (albeit in a laggy way if you want depth) but layering anything on top of it is but a dream

passthrough is possible on index, you can enable the camera in steamvr settings and after a restart from there enable 3d room view and translucent passthrough room view style, in your vr menu there is an eye icon to then display your camera, it will overlay the camera on your vr, simply load into vam and as long as there is a pure black background your room will be visible in the scene space.

this is janky, and your room isn't entirely visable, nor is it actually ar passthrough, however it "works" if you're thinking all is lost on index, hopefully someone can implement a better system because the index is very capable of fully showing your room (albeit in a laggy way if you want depth) but layering anything on top of it is but a dream
Interesting! Mind sharing some screenshots or videos?

Interesting! Mind sharing some screenshots or videos?
I don't mind at all!

since that post I have removed the vr controller models from my steamvr local files because room view keeps them on and it overlaps everything (a little annoying), but yeah as you can see, everywhere that is black will be seethrough, everything on the opposite side is completely visible, it causes problems when things you want to see have black on them but aslong as they are not complete pitch darkness you can still see them as shown here

I don't mind at all!

since that post I have removed the vr controller models from my steamvr local files because room view keeps them on and it overlaps everything (a little annoying), but yeah as you can see, everywhere that is black will be seethrough, everything on the opposite side is completely visible, it causes problems when things you want to see have black on them but aslong as they are not complete pitch darkness you can still see them as shown here
View attachment 335023
The translucency is interesting!

Is possible to do the same without Virtual Desktop and using Quest Link (AirLink) insted in Quest 3?

I wish there was a way the model could be behind your hands, like If I put my hand up in passthrough it is behind them. Like I cant put my hand up in-between myself and the model. It probably isnt possible? I know I could posses a guy but its not the same.

I wish there was a way the model could be behind your hands, like If I put my hand up in passthrough it is behind them. Like I cant put my hand up in-between myself and the model. It probably isnt possible? I know I could posses a guy but its not the same.

Try possessing a male with skin the same color as your passthrough.

Back
Top Bottom