How to use Passthrough in VAM (VR/AR)

Guides How to use Passthrough in VAM (VR/AR)

thinoreos

Reactions
If there's nothing to download, you have a picture at the moment, probably not the intention, you can change to a different type that doesn't require a resource to attach.

Thanks for sharing this 👍

Not working for me. ALVR on the Oculus keeps shutting off. And left menu + a or b just brings up the menu. Any way a video could be made to show the proper process.

I'll chime in on this topic! So here's what I do. (Quest 2) Start up Sidequest and ALVR, open web browser (for me chrome) go to "https://github.com/alvr-org/ALVR/wiki/ALVR-wired-setup-(ALVR-over-USB)" and follow instructions for Sidequest command. You'll click "Run ADB Command" looks like a rectangle with an arrow going through it and then enter in the two commands for wired. Leave Sidequest open and close down web browser. Boot whichever version of VAM you have. (Protip: for me its VAMThin which loads exactly what I want if I'm just trying to play the game and not worry about load time) Once in game use the background plugin and find a shade of green that works for you.

From my experience this works for me as I've found the biggest problem with ALVR for me was trying to use it wirelessly. As long as you have a halfway decent cable for your headset it should run very smoothly. Enjoy! Also another thing I've done with VAM is use OpenVRFSR. Not 100% sure if its really doing what it promises as I didnt do any testing but with all the combination of methods I do get a smooth passthrough experience that I'm definitely not mad about!

If there's nothing to download, you have a picture at the moment, probably not the intention, you can change to a different type that doesn't require a resource to attach.

Thanks for sharing this 👍
You're right just updated it thanks!

Not working for me. ALVR on the Oculus keeps shutting off. And left menu + a or b just brings up the menu. Any way a video could be made to show the proper process.
That means you most likely didn't set up ALVR right, here you can follow the set up guide on their github here

I'll chime in on this topic! So here's what I do. (Quest 2) Start up Sidequest and ALVR, open web browser (for me chrome) go to "https://github.com/alvr-org/ALVR/wiki/ALVR-wired-setup-(ALVR-over-USB)" and follow instructions for Sidequest command. You'll click "Run ADB Command" looks like a rectangle with an arrow going through it and then enter in the two commands for wired. Leave Sidequest open and close down web browser. Boot whichever version of VAM you have. (Protip: for me its VAMThin which loads exactly what I want if I'm just trying to play the game and not worry about load time) Once in game use the background plugin and find a shade of green that works for you.

From my experience this works for me as I've found the biggest problem with ALVR for me was trying to use it wirelessly. As long as you have a halfway decent cable for your headset it should run very smoothly. Enjoy! Also another thing I've done with VAM is use OpenVRFSR. Not 100% sure if its really doing what it promises as I didnt do any testing but with all the combination of methods I do get a smooth passthrough experience that I'm definitely not mad about!
You're right I forgot to include Wired, updated with it. Personally I don't like using wired passthrough on VAM but good to have the option!

Last edited:
Your basic installation instructions won't work, I believe. Don't you need to sideload the ALXR apk by Korejan, and not the ALVR apk? As far as I know, ALVR doesn't allow passthrough. You did link to the updated Green screen ALVR (which is actually a modded ALXR client), which will work, but I believe it will still show up in the Quest apps as "ALXR".

If you prefer to keep the background black and not green, you can go to the ALXR site above. Stick with a 0.10 version, and not the 0.11 or 0.12. Haven't been able to confirm if they work with ALVR 18.2.3 version.

Last edited:
Your basic installation instructions won't work, I believe. Don't you need to sideload the ALXR apk by Korejan, and not the ALVR apk? As far as I know, ALVR doesn't allow passthrough. You did link to the updated Green screen ALVR (which is actually a modded ALXR client), which will work, but I believe it will still show up in the Quest apps as "ALXR".

If you prefer to keep the background black and not green, you can go to the ALXR site above. Stick with a 0.10 version, and not the 0.11 or 0.12. Haven't been able to confirm if they work with ALVR 18.2.3 version.
They do 100% work with passthrough, as me and other users have tested, that's why I made the guide? ALXR's nightly build (as mentioned in the guide) are always updating, which is why 18.2.3 is stable and works completely :)

1692034514687.png

Last edited:
Does anyone else get pretty bad hand 'glitching', especially with the green background version, on the Quest 2? It doesn't happen with the original ALVR version, but does with both ALXR versions of ALVR (black and green screens).

It's like the hands lose tracking every time I am close to a light source with shadows enabled, or when close to a model with 'Sim' is enabled for their hair. The more detailed on the lighting or hair, the worse.

Does anyone else get pretty bad hand 'glitching', especially with the green background version, on the Quest 2? It doesn't happen with the original ALVR version, but does with both ALXR versions of ALVR (black and green screens).

It's like the hands lose tracking every time I am close to a light source with shadows enabled, or when close to a model with 'Sim' is enabled for their hair. The more detailed on the lighting or hair, the worse.
Light source in the game, or light source IRL?

Light source in the game. It seems to have issues with the sources with shadows are enabled, but works fine with them disabled. It's a very strange issue.
Hmm interesting, do you have any videos of it? Also running with passthrough could take more resources making your PC work harder

Back
Top Bottom