• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

How to use foto2vam

Guides How to use foto2vam 1

hazmhox

Featured Contributor
Reactions
hazmhox submitted a new resource:

How to use foto2vam - A tutorial to produce great bases to create original characters and looks

Introduction

This tutorial will focus on how to create content to use in foto2vam to allow you to come up with a good result and have a nice base model that will inspire you for original content.

It means I won’t cover how to install or convert your photos with foto2vam. The subreddit has a few tutorials about that. You can find some links in the external resources chapter at the end of this tutorial.

I will put an...

Read more about this resource...

What are the main end-result benefits / differences between foto2vam and FaceGen Artist Pro?

What are the main end-result benefits / differences between foto2vam and FaceGen Artist Pro?

You cannot compare FaceGen Artist and foto2vam. They don't have the same goal.

- FaceGen Artist can allow you to export to Daz, which will result in a morph you could use in VAM.
- foto2vam is made from scratch to use morphs from VAM to produce something potentially close to your sources that works immediately out of the box with VAM.
- You don't need to understand Daz and morphs exports to use it.

But one thing (if you know FaceGen), you could use it to produce a texture for your character made in foto2vam.

Thanks for the guide! I was able to generate and load a look, but on loading I get a lot of repeated error messages like below. I am guessing that is due to changes in morph names and what foto2vam had 2 years ago. Also is release4 an earlier release than 1.11? I am assuming 1.11 is the most recent/best to use.

Thanks

!> Could not find morph by name Lower head small referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eye shape 1 referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eye shape 2 referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eyebrows arc referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eyebrows big referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eyebrows inner up referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eyebrows up referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eyelid upper size referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eyelids asian referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eyelids lower define referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eyes almond referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eyes big referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eyes lower down referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eyes outer back referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eyes outer up referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Eyes round referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Cheek bones 1 referenced in save file
!> Could not find morph by name Cheek bones 2 referenced in save file

Thanks, that was it - I mistakenly forgot I was in my 'build' folder setup, which doesn't have all the latest vars - when I switched back to my usual folder setup with Spacedog's and other vars it loaded without error.

I tried with the below image example from imgur , but my results using just 'Output'(not merged) seem off and others I've tried have the same off-ish quality. Not sure if you're able to replicate the quality of the better example or what the trick(s) are. Not sure if its related to the base model structure/morph limits - the nose always seems bulbous and jawline more masculine, etc.

Thanks

vamp0.png
vamp35.png

vamp.png
1602174985.jpg
w

Yeap I'm pretty sure it is a limitation based on the morphs and the overall AI database that has been released with the software.

You can clearly see the similarities in your output tho, even if the jawline, eyes and nose are a bit off... i'm pretty sure that from this point, you could get somewhere with manual editing and OTR.

Hi mate, this great thank you for sharing. Appreciated.

I'd like to ask that when I follow instruction and click foto2vam.exe it does work and create 2 folder as you mentioned. Till here that's fine works perfectly.

But then after when I try it to use second time with different photos, foto2vam.exe seems work but does not create any folder for me to get .json files.
I mean it doesn not create Output folders.

Hey !

The output folders are created only one time. Output and Output_Merged. The folder inside are created each time a conversion succeed. If it doesn't, you have something that has gone wrong.

Make your conversion and screenshot the log and show me. (you can do that by launching the .exe from a command line instead of double clicking on it)
I'm pretty sure that there are source photos that haven't been recognized properly.

Hi, is this only for creating female models? If so, is there one for males?

Yeap, the base system is made for females.
The original software was trained with females, so not that I know of... but I know someone tried to replace the base model and it was working even tho the results were not that great.

I don't know what version you're using... but the one with the tutorial works out of the box. Use this one.

- What GPU are you using ?
- Having the full log may help me to figure out what is the issue.

Thank you for the guide! It's quite helpful.

You linked the thread where u/hsthrowaway5 explains how to train foto2vam models, but I'm struggling to get it to work. Do you know if the IPA tool works for the current version of VaM?

Nope not really sadly.

I've tried at some point to train models on some old versions of foto2vam, but it was time consuming and quickly prefered to work with a "basic" base with the current version and then work manually on the look, than spending tons of hours on foto2vam training to get a result that may potentially be better.

This only seems to work the once with me, everytime i try to do someone else it's the same person as before

Nope not really sadly.

I've tried at some point to train models on some old versions of foto2vam, but it was time consuming and quickly prefered to work with a "basic" base with the current version and then work manually on the look, than spending tons of hours on foto2vam training to get a result that may potentially be better.
same here. foto2vam is actually the tool I've had the most success with, and I've tried facegen, keentools facebuilder for blender, character creator 3's headshot, and the face transfer tool inside of daz. it doesnt spit out an exact likeness, but if you put it through all the available models and use good photos, you end up usually with 1 or 2 that get you close enough, to then make further adjustments based on a side profile photo,etc. I actually couldnt do training if I wanted to since I have an AMD gpu.

Hi hazmhox. Thank you for the guide. I used foto2vam v1.11 pretty regularly and successfully with the help of your guide. And then, one day, the program stopped producing output folders. The command prompt closes before I can identify the error, and I don't know where to find any sort of error log. Can you give me some troubleshooting pointers? Thank you in advance.

Hi hazmhox. Thank you for the guide. I used foto2vam v1.11 pretty regularly and successfully with the help of your guide. And then, one day, the program stopped producing output folders. The command prompt closes before I can identify the error, and I don't know where to find any sort of error log. Can you give me some troubleshooting pointers? Thank you in advance.
To see the output, just run it from a command prompt or PowerShell instead of from windows explorer. Having said that, the most likely culprit, if you look in your input folder, you should see output files for each image you tried to use. I'll bet that it didn't like one or more of them

Back
Top Bottom