How to use Passthrough in VAM (VR/AR)

Guides How to use Passthrough in VAM (VR/AR)

What do you mean by not launchable or accessible? In the main Vam folder there should be a VaM (OpenVR).bat, just double click that
Hi. Yeah absolutely that is the version I Launch, but then all I get within virtual desktop in the headset is the flat version showing on the virtual screen (which I can interact with using pointers only) ordinarily to be in the vr version of vam i would have to be in the quest link environment, but im assuming if launched via virtual desktop it should also launch me into the vr version without quest link? sorry if im sounding a bit of a noob

Last edited:
Heres what im getting.....I noticed on your guide picture you have "switch to vr" as an option in the left menu on virtual desktop.

Attachments

• 53.jpg
    53.jpg
    185.7 KB · Views: 0
  • 56.jpg
    56.jpg
    129.6 KB · Views: 0
  • 57.jpg
    57.jpg
    189.8 KB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Heres what im getting.....I noticed on your guide picture you have "switch to vr" as an option in the left menu on virtual desktop.
Problem solved!! ok so I have to have it running through steam VR......and it worked like a charm, thank you for the tutorial

hi,
slightly confused here, the instruction says to download the streamer app on the PC and download virtual desktop on the headset. Is it not the other way around?
just don't want to waste 20 bucks on doing this wrong.
thanks in advance

hi,
slightly confused here, the instruction says to download the streamer app on the PC and download virtual desktop on the headset. Is it not the other way around?
just don't want to waste 20 bucks on doing this wrong.
thanks in advance
That is correct. I'm not sure what headset you're using, but you can see the tutorials on how to use Virtual Desktop
If you're using Quest:
If you're using Pico:

got to work with Quest 3 and vamX Scenes work so well with it. with just a u can make the room black and change the voice

Problem solved!! ok so I have to have it running through steam VR......and it worked like a charm, thank you for the tutorial

Is there a way to run VAM through VD without Steam VR? I don't have SteamVR installed + I heard it can cause performance issues. Can't seem to get VAM to load with VD. I'm running VAM OpenVR bat and i'm only seeing the flat desktop view.

In some scenes the sclera of the models' eyes are transparent. I don't understand the reason
If your model has eyes the same color as the passthrough color you picked, then yes their eyes will be transparent, because it's the same color

Anyone have any tips for reducing the amount of color fringing around the edges of the model's skin?

Also Blue makes a bunch of the menu backgrounds and other stuff (like blue eyes) disappear. Maybe I'll try like hot pink or something.

Is there any reason to use ALXR over VD other than the fact you have to pay for VD? (Drop in the bucket compared to the cost of everything else to get this going)

Anyone have any tips for reducing the amount of color fringing around the edges of the model's skin?

Also Blue makes a bunch of the menu backgrounds and other stuff (like blue eyes) disappear. Maybe I'll try like hot pink or something.

Is there any reason to use ALXR over VD other than the fact you have to pay for VD? (Drop in the bucket compared to the cost of everything else to get this going)
Try different colors and mess with the Anti-Aliasing too.

Other than the price, ALXR has some other experimental features like wired and hand stuff, but personally if you don't like tinkering around I think VD is good enough

Try different colors and mess with the Anti-Aliasing too.

Other than the price, ALXR has some other experimental features like wired and hand stuff, but personally if you don't like tinkering around I think VD is good enough

HAND STUFF!!

Please elaborate.

First off, thanks so much for the guide, for whatever reason this passthrough technique has breathed so much new life into VAM for me!

I tried to record a video for the first time this evening and it didn't record the passthrough video, only a black background. I'm using a Quest 3 with animetiddyenthusiast's custom color background ALXR, which made the black background even weirder since it's actually a green background in VAM. Is there something else I need to do to get the Quest to record the passthrough video (i.e. my actual room) as well, like you have in your example GIFs?
Thanks for any tips...

First off, thanks so much for the guide, for whatever reason this passthrough technique has breathed so much new life into VAM for me!

I tried to record a video for the first time this evening and it didn't record the passthrough video, only a black background. I'm using a Quest 3 with animetiddyenthusiast's custom color background ALXR, which made the black background even weirder since it's actually a green background in VAM. Is there something else I need to do to get the Quest to record the passthrough video (i.e. my actual room) as well, like you have in your example GIFs?
Thanks for any tips...
No worries! That's strange. Did you try restarting PC & headset? Personally I just hit record video normally and it records everything in the background too. If it still doesn't record this might be an ALXR thing

Messing around with reflections and lighting. still trying to figure out good shadows, other than Directional light shadows, which just dont look right.

No worries! That's strange. Did you try restarting PC & headset? Personally I just hit record video normally and it records everything in the background too. If it still doesn't record this might be an ALXR thing

Turns out it was because I disabled boundaries on the Quest (??). With boundaries disabled it seems like no Meta app will touch passthrough (I couldn't even enable it on the homescreen, either through the menu or via double-tapping the headset). It worked inside third party apps though (ALXR, Virtual Desktop, and DeoVR), but the Meta camera app couldn't record it. Re-enabling boundaries restored normal passthrough functionality - no idea why those two things are connected.

Wow, you have zero color fringing. What are your settings please?
Ive found its less about your exact chroma key numbers and more about moving the little box around inside the background color plugin. The numbers will not match once you eyeball where it is the least color fringing. I was using the basic Virtual Desktop setting:
Similarity: 5%
Smoothness: 0%
Color: 98, 120, 100

Then eyeballed the vam background plugin color. People end up with color outlines when they just match the numbers.

Does anyone know if this can be done with Steam Link? ALVR - poor display quality...

Back
Top Bottom