Question How to convert custom presets to VAR files?

Sizzle

Reactions
I usually modify the characters to my liking, changing their morphs, changing their hair, adding details etc. I would like to be able to convert those templates into independent characters in a VAR file, because many times when I clean up files, when I load one of those templates it fails because it doesn't find the assigned resource as I deleted it without noticing it.

I would like to do this so I can always have those characters as I want them, no matter if I delete the resources they were made with.

PS: I don't intend to distribute those VARs later, it's for personal use. I know it's against the rules because of their licenses and it's something I would never do.

Use Package Manager to make a VAR and select as the files your presets.

Upvote 0
Use Package Manager to make a VAR and select as the files your presets.
The VAR is created, but it doesn't appear in-game.

Upvote 0
Keep in mind that if you only added a appearance preset and you're expecting to see it in the Scene Browser, it won't be there as presets are not scenes.
Isn't a way to convert that preset into a Look/Scene itself? What I want is to be able to use that character modified by me in any other scene, without having to rely on storing the original resources so that the Preset can be used. I have so many resources to modify characters, that it negatively influences the load of VaM.

Upvote 0
I think you're confusing things a little and expecting the wrong results.

Scenes (JSON) and presets (vap) are text based files. They store text but not bitmap files like for example the texture images of a person's appearance. The text information for a image would be a path, saying like "get me image A in this X VAR". If you were to delete that X VAR, the scene or preset would not be able to find it and that's when you get errors for image A couldn't be found, etc.

You don't want to make a scene for the appearance preset, it's useless. It's the appearance preset that allows you to change a person's look in a scene, that's what you want to have. If you make a VAR with a appearance preset it will also include a list of other VARs that are needed for the preset to load correctly - see image A example above. If you don't have the dependencies they will show up in the update area of the Hub Browser.

For more information on VARs:

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom