Answered assetbundle to var

Ghostwalden

Reactions
Hi there.

I created an assetbundle with unity and imported it to vam.

Now i would like to make a var file out of it, because most of the assets here come along as var files.

How can i do that?

I tried with the Add-On Package Builder in vam, but it creates still an assetbundle file.

Last edited:
Create a folder with your username in Custom/Assets/ and put your assetbundle files in there. Then in the Add-on Package builder, pack them how you normally would anything else. The packed var containing them will show up in your AddonPackages folder as Ghostwalden.whatyounameit.1.var.

The original assetbundle files will still be in your custom folder, but the packed var containing a copy of them will be in addonpackages.

Upvote 0
Hi Origin69

Thanks for your reply Origin69.

I dit it exactly the way as you described it.
But in the AddonPackagesBuilder Folder it creates still a assetbundle file.
The Folder name has .var at its end, but the file in it ends with assetbundle.

Do i have to rename the file to var? or did i something wrong?

In the Add-On Package Builder i added for this example the abandoned watchtower.assetbundle
1712388840193.png

Then it creates this new assetbundle file
1712388905194.png
1712388929386.png

Upvote 0
Hi atani

Daaaaaamn... i thought i looked into the AddonPackages folder and didn't find the var file there, now i looked again and found it.
Seems to be, that im a bit blind :)

So thanks a lot.

A further question i do have.
When i load the asset now, in the select file menu, there is no preview picture for the asset.
How can i add a preview picture to it?

Upvote 0
You need to make one ;)
Easiest is to load the assetbundle, put in a good screenshot position, save it as a scene with the screenshot. You can then get rid of the scene and keep the thumbnail you made. Then open the VAR with the assetbundle, name it as the assetbundle inside, and drag the picture inside to become part of the VAR.

Upvote 0
Uff.. i don't really get this.
Ok, load the asset into an empty scene, then save it as scene with a screenshot.
So far so good.

Then open the var with the assetbundle.
Where to open? The var i made doesn't show up to open.
Or do you mean, to load it as asset again?

And where to name it and where to drag the picture inside?

Upvote 0
VARs are zip files. Open the one you made with the assetbundle like you would a zip file.

Upvote 0
Aaaaaahhh.... That was new to me.

Many Thanks atani.
Its super easy if you know how ;)

Strange thing is, i had to restart vam.
Reload Packages didn't make the Preview visible.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom