Question Help with VAM Crashing

mspeck01

Reactions
I added a new NVME M.2 SSD 2tb and copied VAM to the new drive.
VAM starts fine and can load older scenes but when I load a newly saved scene or try to add a new person, VAM crashes.
would copying a data folder from the old drive to the new one fix the problem?
Or could it possibly be the new drive is corrupting things?
Or the copied files don't have the right permissions?
I'm pulling my hair out at this point.
I'm hoping there is a simple fix like copying the old files to the new drive to make it stable.
If all else fails, I'm going to remove the new NVME M.2 drive in hopes it's a channel conflict or something.
Any help would be awesome.

Copying VaM to another folder will not affect anything unless you moved it to some write-protected place like Users, Program Files, these sort of places. Moving (for example) C:/VAM to D:/VAM will not affect anything.

Upvote 0
When Vam crashes, does it freeze or close?

Did you make any bios changes when you installed the new drive? If your CPU or RAM is overclocked, the crashes may indicate you need to dial them back a bit.

Upvote 0
When Vam crashes, does it freeze or close?

Did you make any bios changes when you installed the new drive? If your CPU or RAM is overclocked, the crashes may indicate you need to dial them back a bit.
It just closes.
I didn't make any changed to bios. I'm wondering if I need to make a settings change to set the new drive for NVME?

Upvote 0
I don't think it has anything to do with the NVME drive.
I have 6 SATA drive ports and port one is usrd by the M.2 boot drive
Ports 5 & 6 are used by the new M.2 NVME 2tb storage drive
I might have been confused as to which ports were which.
Maybe the new M.2 drive was trying to share the drive lane?

Upvote 0
I have 6 SATA drive ports and port one is usrd by the M.2 boot drive
Ports 5 & 6 are used by the new M.2 NVME 2tb storage drive
I might have been confused as to which ports were which.
Maybe the new M.2 drive was trying to share the drive lane?
I would think that kind of issue would be causing problems with all your programs, not just Vam.

Upvote 0
You could always try a fresh Vam install. Then copy over your saves, custom, and all addonPackages directories.

Upvote 0
I'm having a similar issue - VAM crashes (exits during scene load) for some scenes that had loaded fine a week ago. I thought it was just the scene I'm building but VAM exists when loading some other scenes as well, but I can't figure out what the pattern is. I haven't made any hardware changes. Am running 1.22.0.1

Upvote 0
With this kind of problem the first thing to try is always rebooting, and closing all other applications before running Vam.

Upvote 0
I don't mean to hyjack the thread, but thought I'd share my solution to my crashing problem today. I replaced the openvr_api.dll that came with the latest VAM update with the previous one I'd swapped in from Github to bypass Steam. No more crashes. Figured this out 'cause VAM was only crashing in VR, not desktop.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom