[Experimental] Tongue and Finger Controllers

Plugins [Experimental] Tongue and Finger Controllers

Stopper

Featured Contributor
Reactions
Stopper submitted a new resource:

[Experimental] Tongue and Finger Controllers - Adds controllers to tongue and fingertips

This plugin adds controllers to the tongue and fingertips.

Disclaimer
This is a prototype and intended as a proof of concept. There are caveats and bugs. I am unlikely to maintain or extend it in any serious way but happy to work with anyone that wants to build off of it.

Usage
Add As a Session Plugin. Will affect all models loaded afterwards. Recommend doing this on an empty scene prior to loading anything else.

The controllers should behave as any pre-existing...

Read more about this resource...

I think I lack either skill enough to know what to do with this and/or the creativity - what theoretically can we do with a plugin like this?

I think I lack either skill enough to know what to do with this and/or the creativity - what theoretically can we do with a plugin like this?

It makes it easier to make more complex finger poses and you can bend them in ways that the standard morphs don't really allow. The result is also more stable. Moving things around is less likely to ruin the pose and fingers are less likely to slip to the wrong side of the object they're supposed to be holding.

2.png

Stopper updated [Experimental] Tongue and Finger Controllers with a new update entry:

Modifiable controller selection radii and various fixes

• Changed the selection radius for added controllers to be much smaller to make it easier to select without having to cycle. Also lowered the selection radius of hands.
  • Added UI with some sliders to change selection radius of fingers, hands, and everything else.
  • Reduced the size of the finger controller selection gizmo.
  • Fixed a bug where repeated reloads would cause fingers to flex and other idempotence issues. Should be safe to reload now.

Read the rest of this update entry...

for some reason I can't control tongue, only the tip moves. can you add controllers for a large number of finger joints and tongue?

for some reason I can't control tongue, only the tip moves. can you add controllers for a large number of finger joints and tongue?

If you mean if I can add controllers to the other joints in the finger and tongue, then yeah. Same goes for any other rigid body in the model (toes, jaw). Having that many controllers in one place gets hard to manage, though. I'll see what I can come up with.

The tongue has a similar issue to the fingers in that the joints are relatively stiff by default. Increasing the hold positin/rotation springs helps to some extent. I might add an option to relax them later on.

If you mean if I can add controllers to the other joints in the finger and tongue, then yeah. Same goes for any other rigid body in the model (toes, jaw). Having that many controllers in one place gets hard to manage, though. I'll see what I can come up with.

The tongue has a similar issue to the fingers in that the joints are relatively stiff by default. Increasing the hold positin/rotation springs helps to some extent. I might add an option to relax them later on.
Unfortunately, I'm not very good at programming and I don't know how feasible this is, but it would be great if the plugin could choose which joints to include controllers for.

Can you make slider for making nodes smaller? Currently it's just too big. Also some different icon for nodes would be helpful. :)

Can you make slider for making nodes smaller? Currently it's just too big. Also some different icon for nodes would be helpful. :)

The slider shouldn't be too hard, I can add that to the next version. I'm copying the control gizmos from other controllers, so modifying those would be hard.

I can't allocate new controllers to manage them. they are visible, but cannot be selected 😔

Sounds like a bug... Let me know how you reproduced and I'll look into it.

Are you adding the plugin to the session before loading the models? There are a number of things that won't work quite right unless you do that.

Also when I save the preset of the session plugin with all the enabled checkboxes, the plugin loads with the default settings

Ah, yeah, after loading the session plugin you also need to load it on the model for the UI to work. The session plugin acts on the Person prefab and not the individual model.

Sorry, I know it's unitnuitive. I'll update the documentation and add some instructions to the plugin itself.

@Stopper - are you on Discord? Could you find me? I'd like to talk to you about this, and what I'm doing with Mocap Gloves. I'm VamTimbo#5278 on Discord.

Stopper updated [Experimental] Tongue and Finger Controllers with a new update entry:

Controller mesh cleanup and some fixes

• Added a slider for changing the size of the controller meshes.
  • Removed the big blue selection gizmo.
    • I've never liked it. Might add option to remove it for all controllers...
  • UI elements no longer shown when added to the scene. (Need to add to the model)
  • Fixed some internal bugs that interfered with saving/loading VamTimeline.

Read the rest of this update entry...

Seems there is a bug. Whenever i try to HARD reset my vam it crashes my vam. I tested it and confirmed it by 100%. Could you please fix it?

1. I put this plugin as a session plugin with other plugins.
2. When i hit hard reset vam just closes without any error.

Very cool plugin. I'm testing it and it seems to work so far.

Maybe its overkill, but...are you thinking of adding toe controllers at some point? That could be its own separate plugin, maybe.

Seems there is a bug. Whenever i try to HARD reset my vam it crashes my vam. I tested it and confirmed it by 100%. Could you please fix it?

1. I put this plugin as a session plugin with other plugins.
2. When i hit hard reset vam just closes without any error.

Will give it a try.

Very cool plugin. I'm testing it and it seems to work so far.

Maybe its overkill, but...are you thinking of adding toe controllers at some point? That could be its own separate plugin, maybe.

It probably wouldn't be hard to add toe controllers, but they only have the one joint per toe so I don't know if it'll help much.

It probably wouldn't be hard to add toe controllers, but they only have the one joint per toe so I don't know if it'll help much.

I'd like to see that. Also, if you could do a controller for female genitalia, that would be cool too. If there is one for male, then why not one for female? Just a thought. :)

Is it possible this is broken with the latest update of VAM? I cannot get any of the finger nodes to turn green - they stay red, and and I select them they're all named "UID". I tried with a blank scene and added only this plugin to session plugins + the model also. Am I doing something wrong? Also the joint drives have no effect on any of the joints as well.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom