Embody
Can anyone help me figure out why when I use embody characters have a massive delay behind my movements, not even the head stays anchored. I use Oculus quest 2 with steamvr (vd/alvr) and my frames are not amazing, but normal possession doesn't have the lag. I've tried messing with snug and other settings but havent had any luck

That's weird, normally Embody shouldn't be _worse_ than normal possession, it should be equivalent. My best guess is high physics rate with a low framerate, that would slow down the whole game a lot.

Hmm okay I was hoping it was a known thing. I'll try wiping my settings and test in a fresh scene and if the issue persists maybe I can get some footage as well as check to see if anything is happening performance wise when I use embody.

I have physics set to 60 hz with update rate 2 or 3 and high quality physics, usually without softbody while my frames can be as low as 20-30 in some scenes. However even in cleaner scenes that hit 50+ fps in vr I see the issue. Any recommended physics settings?

Hi Acid Bubbles. Great to see you still active!

Right now I'm using "Embody" as a replacement for the window camera (since it's display basically halfs my fps).
And it works just fine and smoothly. However i don't know how i can easily zoom in and out with a slider in "Timeline" (i usually use the camera FOV slider) but obviously that won't work with Embody...

Is there any trick to this? Maybe I'm missing something?

What i noticed is, you can use Position Z in "Embody" Passenger settings for a zoom effect, however it does not appear as option in Timeline (or using slider UI ->Timeline), so there is no way for me to control it that way.

What i did as a getaway is using a plugin called "FieldOfViewController" which basically changes the whole games FOV and it works with slider, however it would be much more convenient to just change the embody FOV or have a offset slider in Timeline. Is there a way?

And a "bonus" question :D : Using a camera in Timeline (with wanting multiple static positions), is there a good way to switch them without a visible transition?
I tried having the next position Keyframe 0.1s away with a constant curve, which is almost instant but is there a better way?

@hentailondon This is the way to go, I made FieldOfViewController specifically for this purpose! If you used the WindowCamera then you'd animate its FoV, but if you animate the monitor (the main view) then that's the way to go.

There's no way to animate the Z in Embody, it's in my backlog though!

For the transition, a constant curve _is_ instant (check the Curves you to make sure you use it right), so what you're getting is maybe physics. You could try using SpawnPoint instead, it'll teleport you right in the correct spot... in theory!

@hentailondon This is the way to go, I made FieldOfViewController specifically for this purpose! If you used the WindowCamera then you'd animate its FoV, but if you animate the monitor (the main view) then that's the way to go.

There's no way to animate the Z in Embody, it's in my backlog though!

For the transition, a constant curve _is_ instant (check the Curves you to make sure you use it right), so what you're getting is maybe physics. You could try using SpawnPoint instead, it'll teleport you right in the correct spot... in theory!

Ah didn't realize it was from you :D It's quite useful! Though i wish there was a way to control FOV of an object just like with windowcamera...
Is there no way to make this possible with VaM theoretically? Like introducing an FOV slider for passenger or making a duplicate of windowcamera without the screen and using that? I tried your other utilities plugin and thought it would disable the camera view in vam so it does not tank fps, but it still shows (maybe i understood it wrong?) I'm confused why the camera view is needed to render the "M" view in the first place, since it get's disabled once u press the key. And something about this cameraview seems very inefficient as it renders everything from both sides in high resolution and there there's no way to reduce it's resolution (a view without pressing M is still useful...)

That would be very cool! For me my head got dizzy from all the game fov changes so i just moved the camera object around with Timeline, which does it job ^^

Constant transition is fine, i was worried about seeing a transition but seems not noticeable in my video.

Hello @Acid Bubbles and anyone else know may have a work around.

I discovered a bug, it would seem that if a person atom has hair using the DirectSkin or DirectSkinNoAnatomy scalps (such as Tail's) the Embody Plugin's Hide Geometry feature breaks, and shows everything that was previously hidden.

I've tested this with Miki's Wolf Tail Hair, and also simply using the Hair Creator to narrow donw the issue

1686378659658.png
1686378618059.png

Oh I see! Very clever! I've tagged it and it works! Thank you so much!

1686706261587.png

Last edited:
Not sure why but if I toggle on "user-driven rotation" in the Passenger settings both the head and body will spazz IF there are mirror(s) present. Correct me if I'm wrong, but this setting seems to be the only one that will make the possessed look in mirrors?...

It's all good if I don't have the settings ticked, but it's no longer passenger really, and more like possession only.

I'm on desktop mode if that helps.

@GordonShock I'm guessing this would be because you can't keep up with the physics rate.

Right now, it's just an empty scene with a model and a mirror. The higher the rate, the more stable it is. It's at 144mhz, with a cap at 3 and soft body enabled, and it's smooth as butter. High-Quality Physics will somehow wreck that though.

What's the interpretation to make here, may I ask? Is it my hardware, the cache, or something else...I'm green here so I'm shooting in the dark.

So that spinning issue from a while back seems to have returned. Did it ever get resolved? it started happening to me a few days ago suddenly and I haven't been able to fix it. I've deleted everything in every folder I could find on Embody and reinstalled everything and it still spins when embodying a person or thing. Including older embody versions. they all spin. Even on a completely empty scene with just one Empty on it and no other plugins of any kind active. the spinning happens in VR and desktop mode.

Here's a video example if this helps: https://mega.nz/file/rOYRlKBK#DxpD0hQpkqTd-3BwBHQUgbobUIq1QJYlwE1iyJcypUA

Edit: Just did a FRESH install of virtamate and installed embody and nothing else. STILL Spins. So it HAS to be Embody or Virtamate Itself.

For Embodying a person: Turning on "Look at eye target" in "Configure Passenger" stops the spinning. as you slide the "Look at Weight" slider closer to zero it starts to slowly spin more and more.

As for Embodying anything else: The only thing I've found is that in "Configure Passenger" turning off "Lock Camera Rotation" stops it from spinning.

Last edited:
@GordonShock I'm not that knowledgeable about performance, I know there's a plugin to help you with that. But with mirrors, high end physics, etc. eventually the computer has a hard time rendering fast enough. But I can't say for certain that's the cause either, sorry...

@raven37 Up to now, all instances of the spinning problem is because of a gamepad. I still have to make that "disable spin when a faulty gamepad is connected" (I have too many features to do!) but in the meantime, unplug gamepads, game controllers, etc. It should hopefully solve the problem.

@GordonShock I'm not that knowledgeable about performance, I know there's a plugin to help you with that. But with mirrors, high end physics, etc. eventually the computer has a hard time rendering fast enough. But I can't say for certain that's the cause either, sorry...

@raven37 Up to now, all instances of the spinning problem is because of a gamepad. I still have to make that "disable spin when a faulty gamepad is connected" (I have too many features to do!) but in the meantime, unplug gamepads, game controllers, etc. It should hopefully solve the problem.

I’ll make sure to try that! I did actually have a controller plugged into my pc that I wasn’t using.

Oh drat, southern twang be damned. Is it true that Hunting Succubus' plugins aren't compatible with Embody -- none of them? Because I'm using the Subsurface Scattering plugin and have run into more geometry showing than I'd like each time a scene puts me in first-person via Embody. (Eyelids and inside of mouth, etc.)

EDIT:
After updating Hunting Succubus' plugin it seems to be working ok now. Fingers crossed that's the end of that..!!

Last edited:
Is there a way to use this to embody with a tracker for the head instead of the headset, without using a steamvr tracking override?

Hello @Acid Bubbles I had a question.

I had learned that the tags on clothing matter when it pertains to hiding items you don't want to see while embodied, thanks again for that by the way.

So on a look I updated, I was experimenting with Emissive Clothing (by @Blazedust ) and in order to create an iris texture to make the eyes glow, they look great, however the glow itself still appears within embody.

Now, embody is still technically working and as far as I know and is hiding the clothing item (eye reflection) that the emission is parented to. I tried toggling off the emission plugin just to test and can confirm that nothing remains, but it looks like the emission itself is still visible while embodied even though the clothing object it's parented to no longer is. Obviously this is probably a simple use case of these two plugins being incompatible with each other, but I wonder if there are any work arounds I could do, or if there are ways embody can be made to also include any other children affects or if something could be done to emissive clothing to accept being hidden by embody.

Any help will be greatly appreciated :giggle: 🙏

Oh drat, southern twang be damned. Is it true that Hunting Succubus' plugins aren't compatible with Embody -- none of them? Because I'm using the Subsurface Scattering plugin and have run into more geometry showing than I'd like each time a scene puts me in first-person via Embody. (Eyelids and inside of mouth, etc.)

EDIT:
After updating Hunting Succubus' plugin it seems to be working ok now. Fingers crossed that's the end of that..!!

You need to set tags like "head" or "full body" for Embody to correctly hide those items. :)

EDIT. UNPLUG/DON'T USE GAMEPADS!

Sorry if it was some universal info that I didn't know lmao.

..............................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................................

Idek if you'll see this but if anyone has a suggestion, help me.

When I make the windowcamera a passenger it's keeps tilting/rotating towards the upper left corner and just keeps spinning in place. I've tried toggling every setting, reinstalled multiple times and still nothing changes.... idk what to do.

Also it wasn't always like this, it just randomly happened after a scene I'd done.

I will update if it's cz of a gamepad.

Last edited:
I'm not understanding how to use the leap motion while embodied, my quest controllers don't turn off, i can see my fingers moving but my controllers stay anchored to the person even if i sit them down on the floor. Any ideas what im missing?

I'm having a weird issue where many if not most of the functions of the plugin are ignored (doesn't hide the head, doesn't exit embody on menu, etc) and as a result I'm stuck inside the characters head, which is annoying.
Its across all scenes, and reloading the plugin or turning on and off the functions like hiding the head when posessed doesn't seem to fix it.

I tried checking integrity/repairing VAM as well to no avail.

Back
Top Bottom