Question Easiest way to make walls?

Aminator

Reactions
What's a quick way of making walls in virtimate? Right now I've just set up 4 slates and one has an image plane of a door. I also need baseboard and the door needs to open. A window would be nice too.
Can I add all this with opacity maps and boxes or is there a better way?
Id go hunting for a room to download but they're always too stylized or too fancy.
I'm just not sure if piecing it together with boxes and slates is better or worse for performance.

There's a room creator asset somewhere in here as well as some doors. Some days ago someone also uploaded another room creation asset I think. Just search for the tags in the ressources.

Upvote 0
You can also make your own environments using slate, wall and basic shapes like cubes. And some AnimationPatterns to open the door.

I've made a few, with some reusable parts as subscenes, like this one:

Upvote 0
That looks nice and simple.
How do you cut holes for Windows and doors? I tried to piece something together but there's no place to load an opacity map.

I keep finding when I try to adjust something whatever dial or setting I need is missing. Lol
I also added two pictures to hang on the wall but can't find any way to change the actual picture in the materials tab. And I brought in a bed as a custom unity asset but it was too low to the ground so I went to adjust the scale and there's only one Universal scale slider so I can't fix the height without ruining the width and length.

I went hunting for the room creation tools and found probuilder but I only started using Unity yesterday.

Upvote 0
I went hunting for the room creation tools and found probuilder but I only started using Unity yesterday.
I would indeed recommend ProBuilder. Here is an almost ready-to-go Unity project that includes ProBuilder:

Here is a 5 minute introduction into ProBuilder:

Upvote 0
That looks nice and simple.
How do you cut holes for Windows and doors? I tried to piece something together but there's no place to load an opacity map.
There is no alpha texture for wall and floors, but there is for cubes and other shapes. A long, wide but thin cube can be used a a wall.
You can use that, or piece together several cube shapes in order to leave a hole.
Then apply some texturing and you're done!

That is why I selected the "Glory room" environment as example: you have a working opening double-doors (the doors and door frame are made out of several cubes), as well as holes and a window in the center "walls" (made out of cubes with alpha textures).

For a bed, you have some built-in ones that you can customize. Look at this environment for instance:

Upvote 0
I also added two pictures to hang on the wall but can't find any way to change the actual picture in the materials tab.
You can easily add your own images by "add atom" --> "misc" --> "image panel". You can then browse through your list of images which have to be stored in your VaM folder under "custom" --> "images".
After that you can move this picture to the specific place, adjust the scale and fit it in an already existing frame with another picture in it.

And I brought in a bed as a custom unity asset but it was too low to the ground so I went to adjust the scale and there's only one Universal scale slider so I can't fix the height without ruining the width and length.
You can adjust the heigt as well as all other positions in the room by going to the "move" tab of your asset for example.

Upvote 0
Thanks everybody. I was able to learn a little probuilder. In the meantime I got the cube set up as a wall and used an Alpha map. I might try putting the images in front of the picture frames but it sucks I don't have access to the materials.

I've noticed that using the sim sheet seems to slow things down quite a bit. Is there a way to drape it over a bed and then set it to stay that way?

I'd like to makes window too. Does an hdri image take up alot of resources? I think I downloaded skymagic but haven't tried it out yet.
I noticed that hdri's aren't used a lot in VAM scenes.

Upvote 0
The sim-sheet slowing things down is simply because of the fact it's simulated physics, which is done by your CPU. So if you don't have that much singlecore performance on your CPU the performance will decrease noticeable which every physics simulation (hair, bodies, simulated clothings, simulated sheet) added to the scene. VaM takes no benefit of an 16 core processor. Only 2 or 4 of them, don't know really, are practically used.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom