• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Question Does this quest 2 passthrough trick still work ?

Virtyourmate

Reactions
Website
hub.virtamate.com

Does this quest 2 passthrough trick still work ?

In this guide they show it working simply by turning off guardian via dev mode while on the boundary line in stationary mode. But when I tried it recently ..it did not work. All i get is a bloody annoying blue circle breaking any and all immersion 24/7 lol

Any ideas if this works or can be hacked etc? Or why META would remove it ? etc,

Thanks ;-D

feefw.png

Re installed alxr and that fixed that. Works! However are the edges around figures suspose to be grainy ? Is kinda low resolution unless thats normal. I do have green screen working but its low res in ghost mode and green screen.

The reason why the Quest 2 "real view" (or see-through) is grainy is because it's a composite image generated from 4 images recorded by the 4 IR cameras.
Long story short, an IR camera is NOT a regular camera as it doesn't read and record all colors. It reads and analyses infrared colors (the meaning of IR).

This is why, in that mode, you'll see a blinking dot on some devices like your phone/tablets or even a power bar. Those blinking dots are the visual representation of the generated infrared radiation generated by a signal sent by the device antenna. (If you watched movies or real footage of soldiers in warzone which has a blinking dot on their position like in CoD games where you're in a plane with big guns, that's the principle behind the blinking dot.)

If you look at any active screen (like a TV), even if it's displaying really dark colors, it will look pure white if its RGB cell are not shut down. This is because IR is not necessary color oriented (though color does affect how much light is reflected off a surface, hence dark and light colors not simulated may appears as properly dark or light.)

Each camera on the Quest 2 generate an IR data image in 640x480 resolution. This is to allow good general tracking of the environment without wasting a lot of CPU and battery charge on the recording. So you can't exceed that 640x480 resolution per camera, in quality, on the Quest 2 without some custom setup that includes an additional external camera and a special overlay app. Also, because it's IR and that's basically an uncontrollable variant in the environment as light from light bulbs aren't persistant, but flickering based on their Amps, that's another reason for the grainy fluctuation from the pass-through. Dropping the light low, but high enough for the headset to still detects thing reduces the chances for the light bulbs to generate high density IR which generate the lighter and more noticeable white pixels from high density IR rays.

With the Quest Pro, it's actually a single additional 8MB camera that generate the color view (which explain why going in AR mode drains the Quest Pro battery so much faster.) This is also why it's slightly deformed.

As for the color of the background, while green is a well known color that can easily be extracted, I would suggest, in this case, to check colors in the blue or red spectrum. Here's a link that explain the impossible colors : https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Impossible_color

Green screen comes from that concept where certain shade of green is impossible to get in reality in normal situation, hence going for the color closest to it allows you to avoid stuff in reality from being removed. Hence it's possible to have extreme blue and red shades as well that aren't present in the rendered image. This would remove the green outline generating by the cropping and replace it with a blue or red color. (If you get the right red color, it could even make the outline of the character a tad bit smooth instead of cut-out.)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
The pico 4 makes it easy by having a screenshot button right on the controller. And allows passthrough recording.

Upvote 0
Ok turns out you can't do it on quest natively but there's a workaround on sidequest.

Btw get an IR light if you wanna play in MR. Just got one and it makes everything so much easier for getting good tracking and visibility for the models. I wish I could change the hand tracking gestures in ALVR but being able to put your hands out and touch the model is very trippy. Setting down the controllers and physically walking around the room really helps to sell the illusion and makes it feel more real than full vr scenes

Upvote 0
Hy. Please help i cant run alvr 18.2.3 on my quest. Do i need to use only 18.2.3.apk or the newer one and desktop 18.2.3. Also if i use 18.2.3.server demand update and not working with the alst apk. If i sideload 18.2.3 apk cant open force close.
Having same issue like lione. When i start alxr is just green screen and do nothing. Also if i start Vam from desktop dont run in quest. Also i dont understand what do i need to press with right B and where. In scene or in main menu when enter? Please help. I really want this to work. Also i dont knowbwhat you do in video when you ajust the Guardian what do you prress to do that. I only have guardion off option in devloper setting.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hy. Please help i cant run alvr 18.2.3 on my quest. Do i need to use only 18.2.3.apk or the newer one and desktop 18.2.3. Also if i use 18.2.3.server demand update and not working with the alst apk. If i sideload 18.2.3 apk cant open force close.
Having same issue like lione. When i start alxr is just green screen and do nothing. Also if i start Vam from desktop dont run in quest. Also i dont understand what do i need to press with right B and where. In scene or in main menu when enter? Please help. I really want this to work. Also i dont knowbwhat you do in video when you ajust the Guardian what do you prress to do that. I only have guardion off option in devloper setting.
You need ALXR latest on quest and ALVR 18 on desktop. 19 doesnt work with alxr. You press left controller menu button with right B button when in VAM or any application, to turn on passthrough mode. Only black background will turn to passthrough.

Upvote 0
You need ALXR latest on quest and ALVR 18 on desktop. 19 doesnt work with alxr. You press left controller menu button with right B button when in VAM or any application, to turn on passthrough mode. Only black background will turn to passthrough.
Ok. Got it alxr latest on quest but my problem is alvr onquest dont work with alvr 18 desktop. Can yiu give me a link alvr 18 apk that work on my quest 2 . I try all version. Is force closing

Upvote 0
Ok. Got it alxr latest on quest but my problem is alvr onquest dont work with alvr 18 desktop. Can yiu give me a link alvr 18 apk that work on my quest 2 . I try all version. Is force closing
I dont know how to use 18.2.3 client. Alvr apk 18.2.3 force close on vr. Please help!

Upvote 0
I dont know how to use 18.2.3 client. Alvr apk 18.2.3 force close on vr. Please help!
Did you see my message....
1. if you have a green screen in the quest your okay
2. ALVR on the desktop should look like this if running. (Post what you have on desktop)
AVLR.gif

Upvote 0
Ok. I restarted alvr client and now it works. I need help with calinration betwin reality and game. I seen in video there can be adjust bit i dont know how. In video is not explained

Upvote 0
Has anyone attempted this via virtual desktop wireless? I hate running oculus app on my pc, wired link honestly runs worse for me, and find it introduces almost as much performance penalty as running via steam vr. I have by far the smoothest experience with Virtual Desktop which I have just running via OpenVR.

Upvote 0
Has anyone attempted this via virtual desktop wireless? I hate running oculus app on my pc, wired link honestly runs worse for me, and find it introduces almost as much performance penalty as running via steam vr. I have by far the smoothest experience with Virtual Desktop which I have just running via OpenVR.

what are you asking exactly? I use vd for vam for best performance but you cant do passthrough. I use alvr/xr specifically if I want passthrough

Upvote 0
what are you asking exactly? I use vd for vam for best performance but you cant do passthrough. I use alvr/xr specifically if I want passthrough
Well that answers my question then. I find basically any other connection type inferior to VD and hard to deal with, so I was hoping there might be a way to do passthrough without using an alternative connection protocol.

Upvote 0
Does anyone else have glitching issues with using ALXR? I've tried the green background modded version found here:

It works, and the green is far better, but whenever you get your virtual hands near most hair with 'Sim' on, or near a light source with shadows enabled, the hands fly across the screen and you can never do anything.

It happens even with the newest Nightly of ALXR, which still uses the black background, but much less. The green background is far superior however.

Don't have any of these issues with any other application, like Virtual Desktop or Oculus Link.

Upvote 0
Does anyone else have glitching issues with using ALXR? I've tried the green background modded version found here:

It works, and the green is far better, but whenever you get your virtual hands near most hair with 'Sim' on, or near a light source with shadows enabled, the hands fly across the screen and you can never do anything.

It happens even with the newest Nightly of ALXR, which still uses the black background, but much less. The green background is far superior however.

Don't have any of these issues with any other application, like Virtual Desktop or Oculus Link.

I also get that, doesn't happen often enough for me to not use it though, try switching the hand tracking settings in the ALVR client and see if that does anything

Upvote 0
Could you please clarify why the key sequence "Left menu + B" isn't working for me to enable passthrough? It seems that I've followed the instructions provided above, but when I press "Left menu + B" in the VaM scene, nothing happens; only the UI menu pops up. I've tried different versions of ALVR (v18.2.3 and the latest one, v20.1.0), as well as ALXR (attempted to download it from GitHub and from SideQuest). Additionally, I noticed that in SideQuest, it's referred to as ALVR and not ALXR. What might I have done wrong?

Upvote 0
Could you please clarify why the key sequence "Left menu + B" isn't working for me to enable passthrough? It seems that I've followed the instructions provided above, but when I press "Left menu + B" in the VaM scene, nothing happens; only the UI menu pops up. I've tried different versions of ALVR (v18.2.3 and the latest one, v20.1.0), as well as ALXR (attempted to download it from GitHub and from SideQuest). Additionally, I noticed that in SideQuest, it's referred to as ALVR and not ALXR. What might I have done wrong?

Let me tell you what I did: I sideloaded the ALXR apk found here and installed ALVR 18.2.3 using the installer on the github. Then I loaded a scene, deleted the background until it was pitch black and loaded in the Camera Background Color plugin and set it to a shade of green (you can save the scene if you want for an easier time), once in VR I press the menu button + b & exit the steamvr menu as it opened from me pressing the menu button, and the green background turns into passthrough. (note: you will have to tinker with the shade of green you choose, I personally just open up the Background Color plugin UI & turn on passthrough, then pick green & find the shade that causes the least outline)

Upvote 0
Let me tell you what I did: I sideloaded the ALXR apk found here and installed ALVR 18.2.3 using the installer on the github. Then I loaded a scene, deleted the background until it was pitch black and loaded in the Camera Background Color plugin and set it to a shade of green (you can save the scene if you want for an easier time), once in VR I press the menu button + b & exit the steamvr menu as it opened from me pressing the menu button, and the green background turns into passthrough. (note: you will have to tinker with the shade of green you choose, I personally just open up the Background Color plugin UI & turn on passthrough, then pick green & find the shade that causes the least outline)
Thank you very much; the background changing plugin helped me a lot. My mistake was that I was trying to use it with a black screen, but it seems that it only works with a green one. I've also tried it with the latest client, but for some reason, it didn't work. I've also noticed that the ALVR picture quality seems to be worse than in VirtualDesktop. Are there any better settings to improve the quality?

Upvote 0
Thank you very much; the background changing plugin helped me a lot. My mistake was that I was trying to use it with a black screen, but it seems that it only works with a green one. I've also tried it with the latest client, but for some reason, it didn't work. I've also noticed that the ALVR picture quality seems to be worse than in VirtualDesktop. Are there any better settings to improve the quality?

Setting the Video resolution in the ALVR client to 200% & the sharpness to 0.7+ helps.

Upvote 0
There's currently another thread over thar with a breakdown of how you modify your own alxr file.

Also uploaded in that thread, at the bottom of the first msg, is a apk quest 2 file that works well with18.4. Its passthrough color is like a white color but It also has a weird white transparency over it. But imo is the best out there at the moment.

Hands having been zipping around all over the place while using it, so far.

Upvote 0
hey all, long time lurker but figured i wouuld give some input on a new discovery, I know some are using the quest pro and alxr with the green screen mod. i found if you disable any other lights in you scene and then use the male dummy feature you can use the same green screen color on the dummy for a simulates oclusion...works fine but take some tweaking, scale players junk to you junk and yours will apear between her lovely tits.
When I make it solid green, without skin gloss/specular, the light/shadow still causes different shades to pop in passthrough. How do you setup lightning in a way that the male body is not affected by light/shadow so there are no different shades of green on his body?

Upvote 0
When I make it solid green, without skin gloss/specular, the light/shadow still causes different shades to pop in passthrough. How do you setup lightning in a way that the male body is not affected by light/shadow so there are no different shades of green on his body?
Brother you are way behind the times. Lmfao check the resource on my profile it has all you need for the highest quality background removal available. Alternatively virtual desktop added a passthrough mode that can be configured in the app and maintains the excellent performance and visual clarity that ALXR cannot currently match, but their color matching sucks and displays wildly inaccurate colors in headset so RGB matching is not possible. Whereas my ALXR build matches digit for digit with the RGB value you set in VAM. In app config will come soon too

Upvote 0
Brother you are way behind the times. Lmfao check the resource on my profile it has all you need for the highest quality background removal available. Alternatively virtual desktop added a passthrough mode that can be configured in the app and maintains the excellent performance and visual clarity that ALXR cannot currently match, but their color matching sucks and displays wildly inaccurate colors in headset so RGB matching is not possible. Whereas my ALXR build matches digit for digit with the RGB value you set in VAM. In app config will come soon too
Thank you for your work, but I am using VD with passthrough and chroma and the performance/quality is really something else. I don't have issues with background removal or character outlines. My issue is with the male model skin. Even if I set it to 98, 120, 100, the environment lights (in VAM) will cause shadows and different shades of the RGB combination to appear and break the blending.

Is there a way to make a specific person atom not get affected by light sources or make light sources only affect the female atom?

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom