Question Leap Motion 5.0 - Does it work?

kylekyle25

Reactions
Has anyone managed to get Leap Motion SDK 5.0 preview to work with VAM? It works on the OS but VAM doesn't seem to recognize it. 4.1 works fine.

5.0 apparently was rebuilt from scratch and has much better and consistent hand tracking.

Thanks for the reply, Acid Bubbles (aka my VAM Hero).

Did you need to apply any special configs or settings to get Gemini to work? Ver 4.1 works "out of the box" for me but Gemini doesn't seem to recognize my hands in VAM. Tried every setting I could think of but no luck. Any advice you might have will definitely be appreciated. Thanks!

Update: Installing Unity and the Leap Motion Unity packages didn't make any difference. Longshot but figured I'd try.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Hmm well thanks for letting me know that it at least DOES work in VAM. Otherwise I would have just assumed it is incompatible. I'll keep tinkering. :)

Upvote 0
I figured it out! The orientation on Gemini was reversed from the orientation on Orion. So basically the hands were tracked upside down and not being registered. Fixing the orientation solved it.

Wow though! The difference in hand tracking speed and accuracy is extremely impressive. Leagues better than Orion!

Upvote 0
@kylekyle25 I seem to be stuck in a similar spot, so I was excited to see that the orientation solved it for you, then saddened when that didn't work for me. :cry: I may need to spin up a separate thread for this, but figured I'd start here just in case there was something glaringly different/wrong.
  • Downloaded Ultraleap tracking SW v5.2
  • Installed all options (including the SDK after things still weren't working)
  • Oculus Quest 2 connected via wired Link (possible red flag?)
  • [edit] Ultraleap tracking runs minimized in the taskbar. Visualization window is not open.
    • Camera Status: Connected
    • Tracking Software Status: Idle
  • Opened VAM, confirmed Leap Motion options are enabled in 'VR 2' user preferences. No hands appear, rather only the controller remains visible even when it's placed aside on a table.
  • Flipping the Leap Motion controller orientation doesn't help
One thing that confuses me is what, if anything, SteamVR might actually play a role in this whole process. At one point, I installed it in case that was some unspoken missing link. From what I can tell, opening with/without SteamVR doesn't appear to work any different:
  • Starting VAM from the 'VaM (OpenVR).bat' file (opens with SteamVR)
  • Simply opening the 'VaM.exe' application goes straight through Oculus Link without SteamVR.
Anyway, I don't expect you to have all the answers. Just hoping that there's something subtle that I'm missing that's glaring to someone else who's been through the process before.

Upvote 0
Yes, I have the same issue now too. I installed 5.2 a few days ago and noticed the hands were no longer appearing. Didn't care too much investigate right at that moment but glad to know that it's not just me and all I need to do is revert to version 5.0. Thanks @Acid Bubbles

Upvote 0
@kylekyle25 I seem to be stuck in a similar spot, so I was excited to see that the orientation solved it for you, then saddened when that didn't work for me. :cry: I may need to spin up a separate thread for this, but figured I'd start here just in case there was something glaringly different/wrong.
  • Downloaded Ultraleap tracking SW v5.2
  • Installed all options (including the SDK after things still weren't working)
  • Oculus Quest 2 connected via wired Link (possible red flag?)
  • [edit] Ultraleap tracking runs minimized in the taskbar. Visualization window is notopen.
    • Camera Status: Connected
    • Tracking Software Status: Idle
  • Opened VAM, confirmed Leap Motion options are enabled in 'VR 2' user preferences. No hands appear, rather only the controller remains visible even when it's placed aside on a table.
  • Flipping the Leap Motion controller orientation doesn't help
One thing that confuses me is what, if anything, SteamVR might actually play a role in this whole process. At one point, I installed it in case that was some unspoken missing link. From what I can tell, opening with/without SteamVR doesn't appear to work any different:
  • Starting VAM from the 'VaM (OpenVR).bat' file (opens with SteamVR)
  • Simply opening the 'VaM.exe' application goes straight through Oculus Link without SteamVR.
Anyway, I don't expect you to have all the answers. Just hoping that there's something subtle that I'm missing that's glaring to someone else who's been through the process before.

I’m using a Quest 2 as well and would love to integrate Leap Motion as it sounds like you just succeeded in doing.
Were you able to have the leap software utilize the native Quest 2 hand tracking hardware? Or did you still have to add separate hand tracking hardware to your gaming setup?
At this point I would go either route if it’s working well enough for you, which it sounds like it is.

Upvote 0
I can't imagine how Leap Motion software would work with anything but Leap Motion controllers. Never used the Quest 2 so don't know if the hand tracking is better, but my guess is Leap Motion is way more nuanced.

Upvote 0
I can't imagine how Leap Motion software would work with anything but Leap Motion controllers. Never used the Quest 2 so don't know if the hand tracking is better, but my guess is Leap Motion is way more nuanced.
My apologies, I meant to reply to kdrummer, I transposed your names by accident. Still I’m sure your right, I’m curious how kdrummers experience is using both leap and the Quest 2.

Upvote 0
My apologies, I meant to reply to kdrummer, I transposed your names by accident. Still I’m sure your right, I’m curious how kdrummers experience is using both leap and the Quest 2.
The Leap Motion SW only works with their hardware and doesn't integrate with the native Oculus hand tracking. The reason I bought the Leap Motion controller is because I couldn't get the native Quest 2 hand tracking to work. I got excited when I saw this reddit post, but couldn't get it to work.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom