Question Lep Motion "smoothness"

dikko

Reactions
Hi,
I've been using VAM for a few weeks now and decided to buy a leap motion to use with my htc vive.
In some scenes (even complex ones) the hands of the leap motion move perfectly and smoothly, but in other scenes they jerk and are almost unusable.
Apparently this is not related to the FPS ... any ideas?
Thanks so much

I'm currently experimenting with leap motion a lot, and I have a similar experience. I'm thinking it might be related to your room's lighting, or if you're facing your screen, it might pick up the hands in VaM too! There's also some angles Leap handles better than others.

Maybe I'll be able to improve smoothness in the plugin I'm developing, we'll see.

Upvote 0
Hi Acid, thank you very much for your reply.
The thing that I find strange is that often the "quality of the movements" of the hand seems to deteriorate over the minutes.
I also noticed that in some resolutions the hands are smoother, regardless of the FPS: for example, in certain scenes, max is worse than low, but even worse than ultra (I have a nVidia 3080).
And switching between resolutions seems to temporarily improve hand tracking.
Regarding the light: I had thought about it, but I tried to stay in the same position and in the next scene the movement was significantly worse than the previous one.

Upvote 0
That's weird, my other theory would be related to FPS. I don't see many things here, either it's leap tracking that has issues (memory, lighting, cpu, etc.), either it's vam physics (related to fps usually). I'd be extremely surprised if it was directly related to the screen resolution or the scene setup. I plan on investigating a little bit but I'm afraid I'm quite limited in how far I can research this myself....

Upvote 0
It is the same on Oculus Quest 2 .

I have been half day testing VAM with Oculus Quest 2 Hand Tracking.
It is such a groundbreaking new experience yes, really amazing, but VAM has major issues with the current Hand Tracking.
I cannot even use my Single Fingers or Guestures as they should.
Its all unfluid. And i cannot put two Fingers together as a guesture or roll my fingers as a example.
And that is for sure supported by Oculus now to be Smooth and fully interactive.

The Framerate also drops from 60 to 15 then often even using a RTX 3080, i9 10900K , 64 Gigabyte RAM, a highspeed SSD.
What wonders me is that it is Fluid again once i grab the Oculus Controllers again and emedeatly, once i put them beside and Leap is auto detected
and my Hands appear it starts to slow down and lag massive again.
I cannot even say its better once i set the GRafic Quality to Low.
With the Controllers i can set VAM to Ultra and have a fluid behavior.

I hope the VAM Developers support the Hand Tracking / Leap Moption Plugin much better with all its Possibilities because it is such a important Feature and a huge Step Forward in VR Technology and how People can interact.

I am also thinking of buying a Leap Motion Device because it is also greatness for Desktop Usage.
But as it is currently, it is kinda unusable with Hand Tracking with Oculus Devices and as it seems with the Leap Motion Devices also.

And that is not good but sure could be improved :)

Last edited:
Upvote 0
I took a razerblade to the front of my Leap motion, and went around the perimeter between the black front glass and the frame, and popped out the tinted glass (plastic). Now Leap actually works. I have an Rx590 , 3600x, and 24gigs of ram so my machine should perform like shit compared but i get steady 60fps in ultra. I also am not using oculus, im using Riftcat, and my phone. How the fuck do you possess the hands with LEAP though. i mean completely possess them, my character usually has 2 hands, 2 arms, and a set of floating hands which are the leap. kinda annoying.

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom