• Hello Guest!

We have recently updated our Site Policies regarding the use of Non Commercial content within Paid Content posts. Please read the new policy here.

An offical announcement about this new policy can be read on our Discord.

~The VaMHub Moderation Team
  • Hello Guest!

We posted an announcment regarding upcoming changes to Paid Content submissions.

Please see this thread for more information.

Question Does this quest 2 passthrough trick still work ?

Virtyourmate

Reactions
Website
hub.virtamate.com

Does this quest 2 passthrough trick still work ?

In this guide they show it working simply by turning off guardian via dev mode while on the boundary line in stationary mode. But when I tried it recently ..it did not work. All i get is a bloody annoying blue circle breaking any and all immersion 24/7 lol

Any ideas if this works or can be hacked etc? Or why META would remove it ? etc,

Thanks ;-D

feefw.png

The trick has been disabled but I found a better solution using passthrough features of another application that you can sideload to your Quest 2. You need to run a server on your PC and start VAM through SteamVR. I can send you more details of the application if you'd like.

Here's some screenshots of me trying to fuck one of my models.

topost4.PNG
topost61.png
topost14.PNG

And a video:

ezgif-1-fad2da371c.gif

Last edited:
Upvote 0
1. Alright, first give credit to this dude for posting about this on Reddit

He is the one who forked the code for ALVR to ALXR that includes passthrough (maybe drop him a note of appreciation)

2. You need to install the ALVR server code on your PC that you're running VaM on:

Try grabbing and running ALVR_Installer_v18.2.3.exe

3. Once you have that, you'll need to sideload the ALXR client APK to your Oculus Quest 2:

(Grab alxr-client-quest.apk)

4. Run the ALXR client on your Quest 2. This should connect with your PC and bring you into SteamVR

5. On your PC, launch VaM

6. Once you're in VaM, use the Left Menu + Right B button combination. This will fill in the black areas with passthrough and make the model look like she's in your room. You can also try Left Menu + Right A button which will blend both and make her appear like a ghost.

7. I typically delete everything except the model out of my scene, and I turn shadows off of my light sources. You may also need to change the color of her hair since any black will look transparent. Let me know if you come up with any ideas to improve on this.

8. The future is bright! Happy fucking.

Let me know if you get stuck on any of these steps.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
AWESOME info here!!! 👏

I won’t be able to try this out until next week, but I would love to hear others experiences.

Does the passthrough like like it does when you typically walk out of your boundary? It looks black and white from your pictures, which is what it looks like when OOBs.

still an awesome feature and would love to try

Upvote 0
Apparently it's possible to get passthrough on Valve Index, I have to research how and if it's possible to do it with VAM. Would kinda complete the experience for me...

Upvote 0
Amazing

He is the one who forked the code for ALVR to ALXR that includes passthrough (maybe drop him a note of appreciation)

2. You need to install the ALVR server code on your PC that you're running VaM on:

3. Once you have that, you'll need to sideload the ALXR client APK to your Oculus Quest 2:

4. Run the ALXR client on your Quest 2. This should connect with your PC and bring you into SteamVR

6. Once you're in VaM, use the Left Menu + Right B button combination. This will fill in the black areas with passthrough and make the model look like she's in your room. You can also try Left Menu + Right A button which will blend both and make her appear like a ghost.

7. I typically delete everything except the model out of my scene, and I turn shadows off of my light sources. You may also need to change the color of her hair since any black will look transparent. Let me know if you come up with any ideas to improve on this.

View attachment 153045

Amazing finding and thanks a lot for sharing. I followed to step by step everything is working but on the quest side the rendered image is off, it looks like the VR rendering in the headset is zoomed in, it need to close one eye to see clearly ... Not sure why i tested the official client and i don't have that.... Any help will be appreciate.
Thanks again

Upvote 0
Amazing

Amazing finding and thanks a lot for sharing. I followed to step by step everything is working but on the quest side the rendered image is off, it looks like the VR rendering in the headset is zoomed in, it need to close one eye to see clearly ... Not sure why i tested the official client and i don't have that.... Any help will be appreciate.
Thanks again

Disable the "foveated encoding" option, it's not currently supported yet.

Upvote 0
Thx for this guide Pbpjan15.

So easy to set up just installing the quest apk with for example sidequest and starting the server :) quest app afterwards and VAM.

I am still having issues with parts of the hair dissapearing or getting transparent even in latest version.
It is not only with black hair. Noticed it also has to do with scene lightning how much it is an not beside the shadow functions.

But overall very happy with it. Especially that using it with VAM you can set up Mixed Reality scenes and they are exactly loaded where you saved them. That does not work with Captain Hardcore Quest APK as a example although the CH Version has all passthrough built in the game apk.

Getting the Pico 4 next week so i will sure test it also in full colour passthrough with the pico apk.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If black is the default replacement colour and causes issues with black hair or clothing items becoming transparent, you can change the background colour to eg. bright green using this plugin: https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/camera-background-color.24185/

Then if you can tell alvr/alxr (configure it somehow) to use that same bright green colour rather than black as the pass through replacement it would be problem solved?

@Pbpjan15
@bd-energy
@Lione
could you try this? Might help the situation a lot if it works.

This is basically how the old fashioned ”green screen” compositing technique works.

EDIT - here is where the “key colour” (the colour to replace with pass through) is defined in the alxr client source code, currently it is hard coded to black it seems:

https://github.com/korejan/ALVR-Ope.../vulkan_shaders/passthroughMask_frag.glsl#L30

If someone here is tech savvy enough to change that to a bright green colour and then make a new build of the alxr client I think it would work. At least until the dev actually allows this colour to be user configured.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
If black is the default replacement colour and causes issues with black hair or clothing items becoming transparent, you can change the background colour to eg. bright green using this plugin: https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/camera-background-color.24185/

Then if you can tell alvr/alxr (configure it somehow) to use that same bright green colour rather than black as the pass through replacement it would be problem solved?

@Pbpjan15
@bd-energy
@Lione
could you try this? Might help the situation a lot if it works.

This is basically how the old fashioned ”green screen” compositing technique works.

EDIT - here is where the “key colour” is defined in the alxr client source code, currently it is hard coded to black it seems:

https://github.com/korejan/ALVR-Ope.../vulkan_shaders/passthroughMask_frag.glsl#L30

If someone here is tech savvy enough to change that to a bright green colour and then make a new build of the alxr client so think it would work. At least until the dev actually allows this colour to be user configured.
Thanks, that will be a useful plugin! Korejan the developer is working on altering ALXR as we speak so that it can use a different color than black. He may be able to tune it to a specific color other than black and release a build but probably just better to wait for the ability to customize the chroma keying color to a user input color. Hopefully only a few weeks away...

Upvote 0

View attachment 153045

Thanks for sharing this!!! csn’t wait to try this out on the Quest Pro next week with color pass through.

Upvote 0

View attachment 153045
I am hitting the left menu + Right B but nothing is happening. When I hit left menu it just goes to the regular menu and right b makes the game menu come up.

Upvote 0
Just got this working on the Quest Pro.....OMG it's nuts with the color passthrough. Just had J-Lo dancing in my livingroom

Upvote 0
I'm having the same issue you had with only menus coming up, how did you end up fixing the issue?
I was using the wrong apk and the wrong version of ALVR. Need to use v18.2.3 of ALVR, the newer version doesn't work with the necessary apk. For the apk file (to be installed on the Quest) use either https://github.com/korejan/ALVR/releases/tag/v0.10.0 or this one which works better for me https://github.com/korejan/ALXR-nig...10.0+nightly.2022.11.03/alxr-client-quest.apk

Props to Pbpjan15 for helping me with this issue.

Upvote 0

View attachment 153045
thanks a lot for sharing! however i got stuck in lanuching ALVR on my win11 pc, with error below. could you pls help me on this issue?

Attachments

• 微信截图_20221111231022.png
    微信截图_20221111231022.png
    32.9 KB · Views: 0
Upvote 0
I was using the wrong apk and the wrong version of ALVR. Need to use v18.2.3 of ALVR, the newer version doesn't work with the necessary apk. For the apk file (to be installed on the Quest) use either https://github.com/korejan/ALVR/releases/tag/v0.10.0 or this one which works better for me https://github.com/korejan/ALXR-nightly/releases/download/v0.10.0+nightly.2022.11.03/alxr-client-quest.apk

Props to Pbpjan15 for helping me with this issue.

Tried to install both the latest ALVR v19.0.0 and the alvr_client_quest.apk
entered into VAM, but with no luck hitting the left menu + Right B get nothing...
any idea?

Upvote 0
Tried to install both the latest ALVR v19.0.0 and the alvr_client_quest.apk
entered into VAM, but with no luck hitting the left menu + Right B get nothing...
any idea?
Things are getting weirder, I found I installed the alvr instead of the alxr,
I reinstall it and what I got is a green screen without any clickable UI... any help? :(

Upvote 0
Here's another update: I recently was able to recompile ALXR and change the color that gets turned to passthrough from black to green! Here are new instructions to download the modified APK as well as use the background color changer plugin:

1. Install and run the ALVR server code on your PC that you're running VaM on
https://github.com/alvr-org/ALVR/releases/download/v18.2.3/ALVR_Installer_v18.2.3.exe

2. Sideload the attached ALXR apk to your Oculus Quest 2 -- this uses green for passthrough instead of black (also attached to this post if you can't download):

3. Make sure you've downloaded the camera background color changer plugin:

https://hub.virtamate.com/resources/camera-background-color.24185/download

4. On your PC, launch VaM

5. Once you're in VaM, use the Left Menu + Right B button combination.

6. Now add the background color changer plugin as a Scene plugin and set it to a shade of green that you'd like to use for passthrough.

This will fill in the green areas with passthrough and make the model look like she's in your room. You can also try Left Menu + Right A button which will blend both and make her appear like a ghost.

Note: You may need to adjust the exact shade of green you're using to prevent the model from having too much of a green outline. Unfortunately some green outline is unavoidable due to using this method but it can almost eliminated. Have fun!

Attachments

• alxr-client-quest.zip
    3.1 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom