Question Does this quest 2 passthrough trick still work ?

Virtyourmate

Reactions
Website
hub.virtamate.com

Does this quest 2 passthrough trick still work ?

In this guide they show it working simply by turning off guardian via dev mode while on the boundary line in stationary mode. But when I tried it recently ..it did not work. All i get is a bloody annoying blue circle breaking any and all immersion 24/7 lol

Any ideas if this works or can be hacked etc? Or why META would remove it ? etc,

Thanks ;-D

feefw.png

The reason for this is so that scenes feel more lifelike, so where your body would typically obscure part of hers vs you seeing her entire body superimposed over yours, also you can do the same thing with panels and furniture so you can line it up irl with real world objects so that you see the effect of collision on surfaces like a glass window or table top, even a bed. The male dummy skin really needs someone with more knowledge on skins than me to figure out how to ditch the uv map and then it would work perfectly. These are just some ideas I came up with yesterday and put into some of my AR scenes. I will post a video later tonight showing how some of this works/looks

Upvote 0
The reason for this is so that scenes feel more lifelike, so where your body would typically obscure part of hers vs you seeing her entire body superimposed over yours, also you can do the same thing with panels and furniture so you can line it up irl with real world objects so that you see the effect of collision on surfaces like a glass window or table top, even a bed. The male dummy skin really needs someone with more knowledge on skins than me to figure out how to ditch the uv map and then it would work perfectly. These are just some ideas I came up with yesterday and put into some of my AR scenes. I will post a video later tonight showing how some of this works/looks

Cool idea -- I actually tried this exact thing a couple of months ago and it worked pretty well but I really wish there was an option for inexpensive full body tracking with low latency, which would make this really work well. Would be interested in seeing the video to see how it works for you

Upvote 0
1. Alright, first give credit to this dude for posting about this on Reddit

He is the one who forked the code for ALVR to ALXR that includes passthrough (maybe drop him a note of appreciation)

2. You need to install the ALVR server code on your PC that you're running VaM on:

Try grabbing and running ALVR_Installer_v18.2.3.exe

3. Once you have that, you'll need to sideload the ALXR client APK to your Oculus Quest 2:

(Grab alxr-client-quest.apk)

4. Run the ALXR client on your Quest 2. This should connect with your PC and bring you into SteamVR

5. On your PC, launch VaM

6. Once you're in VaM, use the Left Menu + Right B button combination. This will fill in the black areas with passthrough and make the model look like she's in your room. You can also try Left Menu + Right A button which will blend both and make her appear like a ghost.

7. I typically delete everything except the model out of my scene, and I turn shadows off of my light sources. You may also need to change the color of her hair since any black will look transparent. Let me know if you come up with any ideas to improve on this.

8. The future is bright! Happy fucking.
View attachment 153045
Let me know if you get stuck on any of these steps.
Im stumped, tried and tried lol no luck. Yet it looks so simple but seems impossible. I installed ALXR and ALVR and I believe ALXR did sideload to quest 2. I saved it to everything possible. And menu + a or b does not work.

I have steam and steamvr, virtual desktop and oculus installed. I use oculus cable like. Any thoughts what Im missing? Very informative thread.

Upvote 0
Did you try this...in ALVR on the desktop it should look like the gif. "Remember to trust the quest in ALVR"

1679177762970.png

AVLR.gif

Upvote 0
Did you try this...in ALVR on the desktop it should look like the gif. "Remember to trust the quest in ALVR"

View attachment 224602
View attachment 224603
The controllers do change to that style in vr but the ALVR recommend a update, and just updated it, should I uninstall it and reinstall old version? Also does having my quest app on pc open make a difference? Well I think it has to be for quest to connect to pc.

Upvote 0
Will uninstall everything and try again. Im using sidequest on PC to sideload to quest 2, is that the right way? Also when I sideload to q2 where is the right location to send it too? Just so I know I'm doing to correct.
thought you needed to be on V18.2.3 and a specific apk on the quest "link below"

Upvote 0
Yes, use sidequest...this is what it looks like. In red square is where you add the apk

1679181349171.png

Upvote 0
On the default scene or a CUA you made
Re installed alxr and that fixed that. Works! However are the edges around figures suspose to be grainy ? Is kinda low resolution unless thats normal. I do have green screen working but its low res in ghost mode and green screen.

Upvote 0
Re installed alxr and that fixed that. Works! However are the edges around figures suspose to be grainy ? Is kinda low resolution unless thats normal. I do have green screen working but its low res in ghost mode and green screen.
[/QUOT
Need to play around with it but turn light off as much as possible in real room and increase lights intensity in Vam

Upvote 0
One frustrating thing I've found with this is that the passthrough won't enable unless I open VAM through SteamVR. i.e. I have to be in the Steam VR app specifically. This lowers visual quality and performance. Normally with the Quest Pro I just run VAM directly through link. I can't find a way to avoid this.

It's fun, but every time I use this trick I have to fight with the programs to make it work. I wouldn't recommend this for the Quest VR. SteamVR doesn't work properly with the new software it seems. After getting this this to work a few times now I can't, despite a full reinstall of all the software. I'll have to wait for direct VAM support or something.

Ya, I just found the thread to make the line smaller. Thanks a lot!
Where did you find that?

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Spoiler
Can someone please do a guide for 2023 since nothing works anymore and the main guide is incomplete in it's logic.

- What
ALXR Quest 2 Version
ALVR Server Version

are fully supported with latest Quest 2 Firmware?

- What has to be done after sideloading the ALXR Quest 2 App to the Meta Quest 2?
- What has to be done after installing ALVR Server on the PC?

- I can unplug my USB Cable then and use the Quest 2 wireless yes?

I tried both

old 18.2.3 ALVR Server linked here plus Matt's recommended ALXR Quest 2 App ( Sideloaded to my Quest 2 with Sidequest) from it's linked Mega DL i also tried the latest Versions of ALXR for Quest 2 and ALVR Server with zero success.

My similar steps:

After installing

I launch ALXR on Quest 2 , it opens and i do i see a green screen with a barely visable round circle.

I launch ALVR Server on my PC

- it opens and also Steam VR ( tiny box ) opens.
- ALVR Server lists my Quest 2 incl the valid ip adress of my Quest 2 and there are zero statistics at this moment, should there be any?

Did i miss any ALVR Server settings needed?
Everything is on default.

- Firewall rules are added
- Plugin is added

Then people here write launch VAM

- How is the needed workflow to launch VAM?

I load it from desktop running the VAM.exe?
What should happen now?

i do ask because VAM just opens on my pc then while nothing happens on my Quest 2.
The ALXR Client on Quest2 stays green and there is zero impact on ALVR Server side after launching VAM on desktop either.

Should VAM now launch on my Quest 2 in VR same as it would if i would be using the Virtual Desktop Quest 2 application?
Because if this is not working.

The one and only feedback i receive from the ALVR Server Client ( Statistics work then ) is the moment i install the Quest 2 ALVR Client from
sidequest on my Quest2 and launch it.

I also disabled my firewall for a while with no further results.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Can someone please do a guide for 2023 since nothing works anymore and the main guide is incomplete in it's logic.

- What
ALXR Quest 2 Version
ALVR Server Version

are fully supported with latest Quest 2 Firmware?

- What has to be done after sideloading the ALXR Quest 2 App to the Meta Quest 2?
- What has to be done after installing ALVR Server on the PC?

- I can unplug my USB Cable then and use the Quest 2 wireless yes?

I tried both

old 18.2.3 ALVR Server linked here plus Matt's recommended ALXR Quest 2 App ( Sideloaded to my Quest 2 with Sidequest) from it's linked Mega DL i also tried the latest Versions of ALXR for Quest 2 and ALVR Server with zero success.

My similar steps:

After installing

I launch ALXR on Quest 2 , it opens and i do i see a green screen with a barely visable round circle.

I launch ALVR Server on my PC

- it opens and also Steam VR ( tiny box ) opens.
- ALVR Server lists my Quest 2 incl the valid ip adress of my Quest 2 and there are zero statistics at this moment, should there be any?

Did i miss any ALVR Server settings needed?
Everything is on default.

- Firewall rules are added
- Plugin is added

Then people here write launch VAM

- How is the needed workflow to launch VAM?

I load it from desktop running the VAM.exe?
What should happen now?

i do ask because VAM just opens on my pc then while nothing happens on my Quest 2.
The ALXR Client on Quest2 stays green and there is zero impact on ALVR Server side after launching VAM on desktop either.

Should VAM now launch on my Quest 2 in VR same as it would if i would be using the Virtual Desktop Quest 2 application?
Because if this is not working.

The one and only feedback i receive from the ALVR Server Client ( Statistics work then ) is the moment i install the Quest 2 ALVR Client from
sidequest on my Quest2 and launch it.

I also disabled my firewall for a while with no further results.
Did you trust the quest on the alvr desktop software

1681059300741.png

Last edited:
Upvote 0
Thx Matt :D

Yes i already trusted though this can be overseen so quick you are right ;)

After so many trials i found the issue.

It is this Video Birate setting

2023-04-09 02_45_20-ALVR dashboard (server v18.2.3).jpg

It has been set at 450 and now that i set it to 30 and restarted it works like a charm.

VAM is launching wireless on Quest 2.

Is there a recommended setting for Nvidia RTX Cards?
Now that it works so good i wished i would have a 3D Colour passthrough 🙃

Such amazing you can save scenes to load people at exact places like a couch using this.
I am having a blast experience here currently using roomscale possibilities with mixed reality.

Before only passthrough i ever used has been the limited Quest passthrough guardian hack but this is worlds different now.

I am having another question.

For what exactly is this

Camera-Background-Color

plugin recommended ?

I do not get its sense using mixed reality or bw / colour passthrough?

What i noticed quality wise if i am using ALXR with Quest 2 without any more plugin.
There are two qualities of the passthrough using Quest 2
If i press

Reset + B
and
Reset + A

the look is different.

With Reset + B it looks more crisp but darker hair has issues.
With Reset + A this is fixed but the model is a bit more luscent if i can say that but still looks very nice.

Last edited:
Upvote 0
For those having issues with left menu + B button.
Make sure there are no walls/floor in the scene, it seems to obstruct the passthrough.

Upvote 0
Thanks for your help here, I finally have this working on my quest pro and its great!

One question, I can only get passthrough working with a black screen. I can set the background to green via the plugin, but how do we configure AVLR or quest to use Green as its masking color?

Thanks!

Upvote 0
Its looking great on the pico 4 color passthrough. Figured out the trick to change one setting in each scenes lighting menu to get rid of masked shadows on people so they are fully visible in passthrough. Being able to mask green screen would be better though. He said hes working on it. Yeah and fiddling with alvr settings is tricky to get good resolution, and not so much latency while using passthrough. Really cool stuff. cant wait to try on a better mr headset.

Upvote 0
Well its looking good, even for black background. There is a seperate download file of ALXR out there that uses green backdrop, but all the passthrough has a bright green outline, so i decided not to use. Last 2 are greenscreen alxr.

Screenshot_com.alvr.alxr_client_2023.04.21-21.19.08.898_860.jpegScreenshot_com.alvr.alxr_client_2023.04.21-19.24.54.559_418.jpegScreenshot_com.alvr.alxr_client_2023.04.21-21.13.34.801_450.jpeg

Screenshot_com.alvr.alxr_client_2023.04.22-green.jpegScreenshot_com.alvr.alxr_client_2023.04.22-green.jpeg

Attachments

• Screenshot_com.alvr.alxr_client_2023.04.22-green2.jpeg
    Screenshot_com.alvr.alxr_client_2023.04.22-green2.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom