Question Blender UV unwrapping

DTB247

Reactions
Website
www.redgifs.com
So I want to make a tattoo image in blender like this.
Tattooplacement.jpg

and i have made my transparent png image like this lol

tat01.png

So my question has to do with the uv unwrap . I imagine if i just mark leg and arm seams and do my own unwrap my save decal image plaement may be off when I apply it in vam. Is there a standardized uv map included in the object export from vam ? If so how do I select that when I do the unwrap? Any hints or tips would be awesome. thanks

Thanks it's perfect gonna have to play around with it some more. So is the torso map part of the vam obj export file?
Yes it is, check out these seam guides, very helpful:

Upvote 0
Is there a standardized uv map included in the object export from vam ?
Not really a standard - but ehh... the "Base Female" UV-set is used the most I'd say.
All DAZ- or VaM- exported .obj's are unwrapped and have materials set up ready to be textured.
But not all model may use the same UV-set. There are subtle difference. In case you export your model from VaM and want your decal tattoo to be compatible with most models I would suggest to pick "Base Female"-Skin in VaM's [Skin Select]-tab. Then go to [Control & Physics 1] and export from there.

If your plan is to paint in the tattoo on a 2D UV I would not recommend that. Unless the tattoo is very tiny there is a good chance it will get distorted on the 3D mesh then. A good way to do tattoos in Blender is by using the stencil brush.

You'd have to set up empty decal image where the tattoo should be painted on and then 'project paint' it in there.
If you do very large tattoos that go across UVs (over seams) you may have to set up multiple decal images. For example on from hips to legs you need an image for the torso- and limbs- UV.
For a standard DAZ- or VaM- exported .obj files there is unfortunately no quick way to select for example all parts of the torso-UV ... it's all split into smaller material parts that you have to merge. Ideally you want the material set up like in VaM. So you only have Face, Limbs, Torso, Gens. If you're unsure what materials are part of which UV - there is a Spoiler here with a list.

Upvote 0
Have you tried Decal Maker? It can move and scale overlays now.

Upvote 0
Have you tried Decal Maker? It can move and scale overlays now.
Not yet i will have to check it out as I am starting a second gimp tattoo project :)

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom