Question Question about Texture Conversion

Adderall

Reactions
So I have been using VAM for a while now and I am very pleased with it. I used to use SFM a lot but I quit because it was getting kinda old. I still have all my models from SFM and was wondering how to convert the Texture UV mapping/layout from other sources into the VAM texture UV mapping, because when I look at a Texture Map of a VAM look it has a different layout/mapping than some of the ones I have for SFM. (Ears in Torso texture)

The general question I have is if there is a specific/simple way or technique to convert any Texture/Materials UV Map into VAMs Texture UV Map.

~Thanks.

This is a complicated topic. The UV map is how a flat image gets wrapped around a 3D mesh. The basic mesh in Vam is Daz Genesis 2. The Base Female is G2F, but there are several other UV maps supported. In SFM, are your textures targeting a Daz 3D mesh, or are all the models specific to SFM? If the textures are for a mesh that has a straightforward conversion process to Daz G2, then you could use that. Otherwise, you would probably have to go to Substance Painter, which is expensive.

Upvote 0
I'm not sure what mesh the materials are based on. I attached one of the head materials I want to convert so you can see what I mean. The other materials I have are completely different from each other, one material I have only has half of the body in the UV map, and I assume it gets mirrored then wrapped.

I know how to import the models into blender roughly with the materials, so maybe I could create the G2F UV map in blender?

head.jpg

Upvote 0
Those textures are not based on a Daz mesh. I don't know how you would convert them. I suspect they wouldn't look good. Some areas would get stretched, and some would get scrunched together. IMO, it's not worth the trouble.

Upvote 0
Those textures are not based on a Daz mesh. I don't know how you would convert them. I suspect they wouldn't look good. Some areas would get stretched, and some would get scrunched together. IMO, it's not worth the trouble.

I spent a few hours pulling parts from the SFM texture and put in on top of the GF2 Face texture using Photoshop. The end result it pretty rough, and like you said there are stretching problems but it is still usable with some more tweaking.

Would doing this technique be easier using the Substance Painter program you mentioned earlier?

faceBrowlessD.png

Upvote 0
Substance Painter is a very full-featured program. That means there will be a learning curve. You can get a free trial, but once that runs out, it's an expensive option. You can also use the seam guides by SnowSultan:

Upvote 0
Back
Top Bottom