Anyone have the Meta Quest Pro?

Jocks3D

Reactions
Patreon
callanscott
As the title says, I'm wondering if anyone owns a Meta Quest Pro.

Now that the price has dropped below $1,000 and it's available at Best Buy I'm thinking about getting one. The image quality is supposed to be better plus it has better performance than the Quest 2.

There should be no reason I can't use VaM with it, correct?

With it's better hand trackers I wonder if in Embody I'll have more arm movement options, like maybe going behind my head and body.

I just purchased one this weekend and spent many hours in VAM so far. I have to say it looks great. My previous headset was a Quest 2.

The biggest advantage is the larger "Sweet Spot" with the improved lenses. Everything in the scene just looks more crisp and less tunnel vision.

I have not done much yet with posession or tracking. The controllers do work much better overall than the previous generation.

Overall I'd say the image quality is about 50% better than the Quest 2. The problem with this calculation is that the headset costs 250% more than the Quest 2, even with the price drop.

Is the overall improvement worth the steep price increase? Thats up to your personal financial situation. It is a good upgrade but debatable as to if its still worth $1000..

You're welcome. I'll play around with embody and the new controllers soon and let you know how they work. I agree, VAM is the best VR app I've used and could not justify the expense for a VR rig if it weren't for VAM...

@cs2022 The pro got better today. In the developer preview release, they put out a new feature called Local Dimming, which turns off pixels for better blacks and therefore more light/dark contrast. Its not as good as OLED, but its close. I must say it looks fantastic. Its really getting more and more worth the money.

I just got done running the VAM benchmarks and I can sustain 90FPS all day long, the game and this new headset look fantastic. I will not be returning it.

Check out Local Dimming here;

@Paulj if you're still checking in here I was wondering if you ever tried Embody or possession with your Quest Pro hand controlers. I read how they can track you even if you put your hands behind your body so I was wondering if this works with a model in VaM. If it does that would open up more fun mocap options.

I went ahead and bought the Quest Pro controllers for my Quest 2 since I was curious how they would work with Embody and @Paulj didn't respond to my last post. I thought about just waiting for the Quest 3 to come out but it's not clear if it uses the same Quest Pro controllers so I didn't want to wait to find out.

The good news is that the Pro controllers work great with Embody. For the first time I can move my hands and arms behind me which doesn't sound like it would make a huge difference but I think it does. They provide much more realistic body movement. Now if there was only a way to assign them to my legs. :)

@cs2022 - Hey sorry I missed your post here. I had not tried embody myself yet. But glad to hear it is working well for you!

Back
Top Bottom