Meta Quest 3 with full colour 3d depth sensor passthrough will be released October 2023

Lione

Reactions
A mixed reality dream will become reality with the first time ever full colour 3d depth passthrough support with the release of the Meta Quest 3 in October.
Zuck did it.
They added the 3d depth sensor and even more pixel powers than the Meta Quest Pro has.

Quest 3 and VAM with alxr will be so much ❤️

It is so much fun already in Quest2 to play around with vam in my environment and the possibilities the forthcoming quest 3 headset offers are really beauty.
The preorders started today.

Tech specs:

Pasthrough experience review part of a review by The Verge :

Last edited:
A mixed reality dream will become reality with the first time ever full colour 3d depth passthrough support with the release of the Meta Quest 3 in October.
Zuck did it.
They added the 3d depth sensor and even more pixel powers than the Meta Quest Pro has.

Quest 3 and VAM with alxr will be so much ❤️

It is so much fun already in Quest2 to play around with vam in my environment and the possibilities the forthcoming quest 3 headset offers are really beauty.
The preorders started today.

Tech specs:

Pasthrough experience review part of a review by The Verge :

The Quest 3 depth sensor features will not ba able to be implemented in pcvr, only the visual passthrough as with quest 2 and pico 4. Istarted to get excited too, but already have color passthrough with pico 4, about same resolution, and wider fov. So Quest 3 wouldnt be an upgrade for pcvr. From the quest 2, yeah its an upgrade.

It was a great news for owner of Quest2, which is me. Ordered it already and expect to receive it on 10th.
But after I ordered saw above post by Seraphim and bit regretted that I might should ordered pico 4 instead....

I would feel bad ordering one, because I own already a Quest Pro.
But the better passthrough is so tempting.

On the other hand I would miss the openness of the Quest Pro, your face isn’t jailed and you don’t have to sweat.

I‘ll wait for the first experiences.

And I do hope they add some AR recording functions, as of now you need 3rd party SW on any Quest.

It was a great news for owner of Quest2, which is me. Ordered it already and expect to receive it on 10th.
But after I ordered saw above post by Seraphim and bit regretted that I might should ordered pico 4 instead....
Don't regret your purchase, it will be awesome, time will see upgrades etc, Enjoy your new toy, I know I will, like you I have preordered, and can't wait. I have tried the Pico 4, and not to fussed about it, but love my Quest 2. Have fun ;)

The Quest 3 depth sensor features will not ba able to be implemented in pcvr, only the visual passthrough as with quest 2 and pico 4. Istarted to get excited too, but already have color passthrough with pico 4, about same resolution, and wider fov. So Quest 3 wouldnt be an upgrade for pcvr. From the quest 2, yeah its an upgrade.

But the passthrough will be colour 3D stereo compared to "2D" past passthrough solutions?
How do you know the depth features can't be used with pc?

So if we load up ALXR wireles on Quest3 via ALVR we should receive a 3D passthrough with a 3D VR VAM character.
I mean i use it in 2D passthrough currently on Quest2 with 3D VR VAM mixed content.

Wikipedia, if correct source https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Meta_Quest_3

tells

"The left and right pills each contain a black & white infrared camera used for 6DOF "inside-out" tracking (in addition to the other two placed one each on both sides of the headset's bottom edge; with all four working together to track both the headset itself as well as the controllers) along with a color camera used for stereoscopic 3D mixed reality passthrough."

Last edited:
I would feel bad ordering one, because I own already a Quest Pro.
But the better passthrough is so tempting.

On the other hand I would miss the openness of the Quest Pro, your face isn’t jailed and you don’t have to sweat.

I‘ll wait for the first experiences.

And I do hope they add some AR recording functions, as of now you need 3rd party SW on any Quest.

What solution is that you mentioned to record AR on Quest?
Can it record the passthrough or gaming in 3D?

God dammit. Why have they done this to me? Bloody Zuckerburg and this blasted VaM software are going to force me to buy a Q3. Damn them both with their beautiful graphics and future technology.

What solution is that you mentioned to record AR on Quest?
Can it record the passthrough or gaming in 3D?
Recording normal 3D/VR games can be done with the Quest itself. However, as of now, it doesn't let you capture the passthrough content.
Therefor I used scrcpy, found no other tool.

I can clear up a few things in this thread.

Regarding PT video capture, yes you need to use scrcpy. It is impossible to record the footage directly so you can only get it by recording what's on your screen which sadly limits FOV.

Unless you use eye/face tracking (lame that they cut this out of q3), the q3 is better than the pro hands down. Sucks bc of the cost diff but something to consider. You may be able to sell your pro and get a q3 for free which would be worth it imo

As for the depth features and pt in general on PC, we can't say anything for certain yet. With the current policies there would be no official support for PC xr outside of unity/unreal editors. It is possible to circumvent this limitation and I am investigating the methods, but it's a super niche thing with limited benefits. Now given that the tech already exists, it's not unlikely that meta changes their policy. There's only like 10 other devs interested in q2 passthrough and most of them do standalone apps so there just hasn't been a motive for them to make it available yet. And consumers are absolutely clueless rn even though AR is finally kicking off and will be the next biggest thing since phones. I think once q3 standalone ar apps get some traction and apple headset drops there's a good chance we get native pc support. Honestly that would be the killer feature over apple so hopefully they're smart about it

But all that aside, we can still use the q3 depth features on standalone to do hand/body occlusion. I can't afford a q3 rn but if I get my hands on one I'll work on this in alxr

So I received my Quest3 today and enjoyed VAM experience with this new gear, and would like to share summary with you all.
(This site helped me alot when I was newbie, so hope this would be bit of a give back to the community)

My VAM envoronment.
GPU: RTX4090
Headset: Quest3 (Originally using Quest2)
Using Virtual Desktop to connect to my PC

Connectivity:
Everything worked perfect via VD, didn't had any trouble nor little glitch or whatsoever.

Graphic:
tbh, I didn't felt much difference compared with Quest2.

Colored passthrough:
This is the major reason why I replaced my headset from Quest 2, and compared to grayscale Quest2, surely, it is amazing. Didn't feel much latency nor jitter sort of stuff. Everything worked well.
Of course, there are huge difference compared to the view without headset, but it is colored passthrough, you can enjoy VAM scene in your room, and I'm very satisfied.

I used following session plugin with VD passthrough feature, and all went well.

All went well but since I'm kinda new to this passthrough feature, some color still remained (could not get rid of the color allocated with session plugin) but I think its just because I'm not yet find optimized passthrough color.

So overall, I'm very satisfied.
(If anyone knows what would be the best passthrough color using VD passthrough feature, please let me know.

So I received my Quest3 today and enjoyed VAM experience with this new gear, and would like to share summary with you all.
(This site helped me alot when I was newbie, so hope this would be bit of a give back to the community)

My VAM envoronment.
GPU: RTX4090
Headset: Quest3 (Originally using Quest2)
Using Virtual Desktop to connect to my PC

Connectivity:
Everything worked perfect via VD, didn't had any trouble nor little glitch or whatsoever.

Graphic:
tbh, I didn't felt much difference compared with Quest2.

Colored passthrough:
This is the major reason why I replaced my headset from Quest 2, and compared to grayscale Quest2, surely, it is amazing. Didn't feel much latency nor jitter sort of stuff. Everything worked well.
Of course, there are huge difference compared to the view without headset, but it is colored passthrough, you can enjoy VAM scene in your room, and I'm very satisfied.

I used following session plugin with VD passthrough feature, and all went well.

All went well but since I'm kinda new to this passthrough feature, some color still remained (could not get rid of the color allocated with session plugin) but I think its just because I'm not yet find optimized passthrough color.

So overall, I'm very satisfied.
(If anyone knows what would be the best passthrough color using VD passthrough feature, please let me know.
What settings are you using in VD for the color passthrough?

I use Similarity 5%, Smoothness 0% and colors 98, 120, 100.
Works great for me, check a test record out here -> https://discord.com/channels/363274293112602636/514600069757141002/1161278357607026699

What settings are you using in VD for the color passthrough?

I use Similarity 5%, Smoothness 0% and colors 98, 120, 100.
Works great for me, check a test record out here -> https://discord.com/channels/363274293112602636/514600069757141002/1161278357607026699
Thanks for this Saint66. For some reason I can't access to that discord, I think its my app issue so will have a look later.
One quick question about color 98,120,100, did you configure this same RGB for both VD and VAM background?
Parameter for similarity and smoothness is really helpful, I already shutted down my machine so will try it tomorrow.
Thanks again.

Thanks for this Saint66. For some reason I can't access to that discord, I think its my app issue so will have a look later.
One quick question about color 98,120,100, did you configure this same RGB for both VD and VAM background?
Parameter for similarity and smoothness is really helpful, I already shutted down my machine so will try it tomorrow.
Thanks again.
Yeah, same settings for VD and VAM background.
I attach the recording here:

Attachments

• VirtualDesktop.Android-20231010-141816.mp4
    80.9 MB
13700K, 4090, DDR5 64GB, and most important: a dedicated router for the Quest ;)

13700K, 4090, DDR5 64GB, and most important: a dedicated router for the Quest ;)
I just want you to know, I just brought it because of your video lol

Screenshot 2023-10-10 173159.png

This thing has made me laugh so much today. What a unit the Quest 3 is. Spent 6 hours playing DR2 before I even touched VAM. The extra definition is great, it's brighter, clearer and the unit itself is lighter and closer to the face. Somehow I'm getting better FPS out of absolutely everything - lord knows how it's managing that! The peripheral vision is a gamechanger I think, there's no sweet spot really anymore you can just look anywhere almost right to the edge and it looks great. And as for the passthrough? PAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh man, I have so many ideas ...

This thing has made me laugh so much today. What a unit the Quest 3 is. Spent 6 hours playing DR2 before I even touched VAM. The extra definition is great, it's brighter, clearer and the unit itself is lighter and closer to the face. Somehow I'm getting better FPS out of absolutely everything - lord knows how it's managing that! The peripheral vision is a gamechanger I think, there's no sweet spot really anymore you can just look anywhere almost right to the edge and it looks great. And as for the passthrough? PAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Oh man, I have so many ideas ...

View attachment 295211
oh my josh are fantasies and dreams are coming true!!!!

Back
Top Bottom