Kinect sensor - general query

VRtrooper

Reactions
Hi all. I've been thinking about the kinect sensor for tracking so did some searching. It seems some folks have had success with full tracking and I'm wondering has anyone using this forum has done this before I conduct my own experiments. I'm using quest 2 for info.

New to the vam world but kinect was the first thing i tried, I have had limited success.
I am using driver4vr with the xbox one kinect and it works kind of, occasionally my feet spaz out and I kick myself in the head and haven't had much luck solving that. hip tracking has been pretty much useless. I would love to know if anyone has had better luck.

also if you go this route, to save you some time since you are on the quest 2. (took me 2 days to figure this out) open the vam directory and run Vam openVR, otherwise it completely ignores steam sensors. it was weird, load oculus software, launch vam, it launches steam with vam, but completely ignores steam and ran vam directly to oculus. open vr allows it to run with steams sensors.

Have you looked in to decamove? They have hip tracking for gaming but have now just released a mobile app so your mobile is the tracking device.

I have tried with Kinect2VR (Free alternative to driver4vr which I refuse to buy because of the stupid fucking licence key shit).
Assuming you calibrate it correctly it just works. It's a pain manually connecting the sensors to the body parts but I had "full body" tracking with hands (Quest 2 controllers), Head (Q2), hips (Kinect) and feet (kinect).
That free driver has some limits though, it only does 3 trackers (fine for me). More importantly you can't turn around. It only works if you are facing it.
If you have a Kinect (get the v1, not the v2 for this and it's cheaper anyway) its a good free thing to try.

Back
Top Bottom