Initial impressions Quest 3 headset and VAM

spidaman75

Reactions
Ok had a little play with the Q3 in VAM using Virtual desktop so no usb c connection to computer.
I noticed that the loading times are a lot quicker in virtual desktop (Wifi) mode.
The image is very sharp and pleasing especially when you go close to your model the details are amazing, details I have not seen before using my Reveb G2 for 2 years
my router is very close to me so I did nt experience any drop outs etc
I am also using vamx and the ai chat function and that worked very well.
Cannot wait to try out passthrough mode,
Headstrap is great, no headaches so far, sound is excellent with the default builtin head phone.
Overall very impressed with the Q3 so far.
Computer is an RTX 3070 I7 10700F
Will replace my G2 for this.
Love the mobility of the Q3 and not restricted with a wired headset.

Thanks for posting your findings. I'm excited to move from a Quest 2 to 3, so this is just what I was hoping to hear. Cheers!

How are the hair physics. Any better than before?
Quest struggles so much with hair.
What does the headset has to do about hair physics?
They are in VAM engine...and can slow things impressively down, even in desktop mode.

What does the headset has to do about hair physics?
They are in VAM engine...and can slow things impressively down, even in desktop mode.

I've never had any slowdown or problems in desktop mode.
VAM is notorious for slowing up when there's a lot going on in VR mode. The main culprit being hair (particle fx do it as well). Obviously tweaking around with that (curve density, multiplier, etc) improves it a bit but I was wondering if Q3 handles it any better with the new processor.

I've never had any slowdown or problems in desktop mode.
VAM is notorious for slowing up when there's a lot going on in VR mode. The main culprit being hair (particle fx do it as well). Obviously tweaking around with that (curve density, multiplier, etc) improves it a bit but I was wondering if Q3 handles it any better with the new processor.
Obviously not, because nothing of VAM is running on the Q3 processor ;)
But it has better Wifi, that’s something you’d notice

Obviously not, because nothing of VAM is running on the Q3 processor ;)
But it has better Wifi, that’s something you’d notice

I use a link cable and this is true, but the PC has to deliver the information to the headset.
But OK. ;)

Last edited:
This is true, but the PC has to deliver the information to the headset.
But OK.

In the form of a video codec... which would have absolutely no way of altering hair physics or literally anything in the game. I don't think you understand how the technology works.

You are confusing hair physics with codec bitrate or something.

You are confusing hair physics with codec bitrate or something.

Yeah it's not JUST the hair I'm thinking of. Maybe it would actually be the bitrate numbers. I wonder what the latency is between Q2 and Q3. I'm so high right now i'm confused as f. lol

Using Q3 wireless via WiFi connected to the PC is just like streaming a video, somehow. The work is done by the computer.
What matters is the resolution of the headset. Thats more work for the GPU. Physics arent affected by the resolution if I'm correct.

Last edited:
how is handtracking in vam? Can you replace the hands of the male with yours? with tracking all the fingers?

how is handtracking in vam? Can you replace the hands of the male with yours? with tracking all the fingers?
Nope. You just see your hands overlapping with VR hands. And finger tracking does not work out of the box, you have to use something like Leap Motion for it

You can track all the fingers in VAM using ALVR to connect your quest to computer. But not as stable as leap motion.

With AVLR, finger tracking works on VaM even when animating with Timeline?
Should hand controls be set to JSON on VaM?

Quest 3's hand control is better than quest 2, so it must work well, unless it's ALVR that's not so good at it.

With AVLR, finger tracking works on VaM even when animating with Timeline?
Should hand controls be set to JSON on VaM?
Yes, it does, you can record finger/hand movement using embody and timeline.
It will be set to JSON automatically when you add fingers in timeline

Back
Top Bottom