VaM + Thin Twin + Virtual Desktop + Quest 3

Sirrah

Reactions
I'm sure someone else here is using Virtual Desktop + Thin Twin with the Quest 3. I I had it working, and it was beautiful: fast loading thanks to TT, great tetherless throughput thanks to VD,

And then sometime last week it stopped working, and I am going nuts trying to figure out why.

Before you ask: Other games are working perfectly via Virtual Desktop, including HL:Alyx with the settings pretty much maxed. And in desktop mode, the Thin Twin presets are likewise perfect. (And so fast!)

But since last week or so, when I run them all together, I hit one of two problems:

If I launch VaM from Windows via Virt Desktop - which also launches SteamVR - then my controllers disappear in VaM. Tracking and image look great, but I can't get past the VaM intro menu because, like I said, no controllers. When I switch to the SteamVR control panel, the controllers come back - they are only gone in VaM itself.

If I use a .bat file to launch VaM to bypass SteamVR, as describe in several threads on the forum here - then I get terrible jittering rendering/tracking, even on the main menu before any scene is loaded. The controllers work, so I can load scenes, but no matter what I do, even with an entirely empty scene, I get the crazy jitter. It feels more like some sort or rendering error than a bandwidth thing.

Anyone else seeing the same thing, or have any ideas? It's driving me nuts, since it *was* working a couple of weeks ago. Any ideas to either get the controllers working with SteamVR or fix the stutter/jitter craziness without Steam VR would be greatly appreciated. CHeers.

If I use a .bat file to launch VaM to bypass SteamVR, as describe in several threads on the forum here - then I get terrible jittering rendering/tracking, even on the main menu before any scene is loaded.
Hello there, I also have the same issue of jittering when bypassing SteamVR only using VD Streamer. My VaM is also running with vrperfkit upscaling & FFR.

I did a little research on the VD Discord Server and found several complaints too. Seems there's something wrong with the last VD update on "Fixed compatibility with vrperfkit in Oculus mode". Don't know if a clean reinstall of VaM would help but I have no problem using AirLink.

@asherttt - ah, you know, I was pretty certain it was something to do with that last VD Streamer update - the timing was about right. I've joined the VD discord but there's a lot to wade through there,

I ran a new VAM install overnight, will test it this evening.

The disappearing controllers when I run via SteamVR is so aggravating. I'm trying to think how to debug that. It's only happening in VAM. So I am wedged between two bugs.

I'm using VDS to get passthrough, which is a blast, but I'll try Air Link.

Thanks for replying! And for folks checking this thread: despite this little bug, in general the combo of Quest 3 plus VAM plus tetherless via streaming is freakin' great, and when passthrough + Thin Twin was working, it was the best VAM experience I've had, and I've been using this since early in the reddit days. Worth checking out.

What is this Thin Twin, huh?

I've never managed to get vrperfkit and controllers work with Vam, only FSR. How do you do it successfully?

Back
Top Bottom