What Quest 3 can do for VAM VR

capta134

Reactions
I know Quest 3 is out and it has much more power.

I also understand Quest3 has:

1: Much higher resolution
2: Faster CPU and GPU
3: Is a smaller unit
4: Mixed reality capability
5: Higher storage up to 512 GB

So what does VAM gain from the above other than scenes with higher resolution and faster loading times?

Can VAM somehow benefit from the mixed reality?

====================================================================
10/30/2023
To summarize:
Based on extensive feedback, VAM greatly benefits from the power and features of Quest 3.

Quest 3 Passthrough alone makes it a highly valuable investment for VAM,
enabling users to have unparalleled artificial erotic experiences, unlike anything they have ever encountered before.

Last edited:
I was preordering it. If you like to read something about its performance you should look at a quest-pro review because till now who was getting it besides meta-sponsored-lickasses? I hope to try vam with my quest 3 cable linked as soon as it arrives and of course I hope I can really get that claimed good graphic quality all those sponsored youtubers are screaming through the web (they seem so enthousiast like a teenager virgin during a kamasutra petting).
Till now I was not finding infos about what it could mean playing vam on a good quality passthrough environment ... lot of flattering talk about thatfucking paywalled virtual desktop application that seems the best alternative to air link, but no (statistical ?) data about vam performance when you load a real time video of your room environment on a vam scene. As I am a lot naive I have a lot of good expectations about quest 3 passthrough, unless what the professionals who could test it were claiming a fake opinion about pancake lenses and that improved stereo cameras resolution (with depth visual).
So it is quest...ion of waiting some days (hopefully short after the october 10).

ps: still I feel always surprised to see so funny pathetic guys scenically acting like idiot clowns when they have to speak about digital devices and related software >

Last edited:
The built-in body tracking may be interesting. Though for me the face/eye tracking of the pro is a cooler feature.

I know Quest 3 is out and it has much more power.

I also understand Quest3 has:

1: Much higher resolution
2: Faster CPU and GPU
3: Is a smaller unit
4: Mixed reality capability
5: Higher storage up to 512 GB

So what does VAM gain from the above other than scenes with higher resolution and faster loading times?

Can VAM somehow benefit from the mixed reality?
Faster GPU and CPU will only help the Standalone Apps which are running on the Quest itself, it doesn't help with PC VR context I guess.
Better resolution is always good, for the price of performance of course.

I think the Pancake lenses alone will blow you away compared to Quest2, they did it for me on the Quest Pro. I couldnt use my Q2 after this anymore.
And the Q3 has even better ones with higher resolution than the Pro.

And the better passthrough for mixed reality was the reason I instantly ordered one, even if I already own the Pro.
Check out what passthrough means for VAM, I recorded a little example in my shabby small working room with the Pro the other day:

Attachments

• blend.mp4
    18 MB
The built-in body tracking may be interesting. Though for me the face/eye tracking of the pro is a cooler feature.
Yeah, but you cant use the tracking features for VAM, they will only work on content which runs on the Quest, not for PCVR.

Faster GPU and CPU will only help the Standalone Apps which are running on the Quest itself, it doesn't help with PC VR context I guess.

I think the Pancake lenses alone will blow you away compared to Quest2, they did it for me on the Quest Pro. I couldnt use my Q2 after this anymore.

And the better passthrough for mixed reality was the reason I instantly ordered one, even if I already own the Pro.
Check out what passthrough means for VAM, I recorded a little example in my shabby small working room with the Pro the other day:
Great video. Thanks!
Clearly, you made it with the pro unit, I wonder if Quest 3 mixed reality adds something to the pro mixed reality.

Also based on the posted information on Amazon:
Quest 2 weight: 1.7 Pounds
Quest 3 Weight: 3.1 Pounds

Wow!!! good exercise for our neck muscles!

Headset weight
515 grams. Pancake optics create a 40% slimmer optic profile* for more comfortable wear.
*As compared to Quest 2, excluding the facial interface.

I feel a little bit idiot asking about that passthrough video : your room was getting natural day light or how much Watt power (led?) artificial for such very good result (I see no significant digital noise)?

Headset weight
515 grams. Pancake optics create a 40% slimmer optic profile* for more comfortable wear.
*As compared to Quest 2, excluding the facial interface.

Well, these numbers are more reasonable. Maybe Amazon is referring to a bundle weight.

Apparently, quest 3 has better passthrough capability than Quest Pro:

PassthroughQuest 2: Greyscale
Low Res
Quest Pro: Colorized Greyscale
Medium Res
Quest 3:True Color
High Res

I feel a little bit idiot asking about that passthrough video : your room was getting natural day light or how much Watt power (led?) artificial for such very good result (I see no significant digital noise)?ay
It was just daylight

Attachments

• Sans titre.png
    Sans titre.png
    1.1 MB · Views: 0
Interesting idea. I will be very surprised if this is not easily doable with Quest 3. If Quest 3 can put a VR Object on your room, I should easily raise a trigger event when you touch it and do an action, for example, load another scene.

There is a lot to experience, this is just the beginning. Meta planned to add the dynamic occlusion later, our arms will appear in front of the model.

Yeah, but you cant use the tracking features for VAM, they will only work on content which runs on the Quest, not for PCVR.
Nah we don't know for sure yet but I see no reason why it wouldn't support PCVR. The openxr extensions for it already existed and they provided us a sample with generative legs a year ago that runs on PC. The SDK is only available to a few specific devs rn so I can't say for sure but I'd expect to be able to integrate it in PC unity games. It would probably be easy to mod into VAM if it wasn't on a 2018 version of unity (seriously man scrap vam 2 for now and just update the damn engine) but you also have to consider the usefulness. The same extension can be used to get estimated waist tracking (which should be real waist tracking with q3) and honestly that's more than good enough for AR. I've never played an AR game with an immersive character (embody in vam with alxr/vd is way too jank to count) but I imagine it would be pointless at best, and unpleasant in some cases compared to just seeing your real body. It would be useful for immersive VR, but I can't imagine wanting to play with a crappy virtual body in a crappy looking virtual room when you can play with your real body in your real room. Different strokes I guess.

The Sdk will also support some estimation on q2 and pro but again I'm more interested in using it to improve controls

Its a real shame that vam is so outdated and meta hates pcvr because the depth sensors should be a much bigger deal here. With native passthrough you could use your actual hands and with enough patience and skill it would be possible to code in occlusion by and to your body. Without a depth sensor even with native passthrough your options are occlude the game with your body or occlude your body with the game. With a depth sensor you could trick your brain into seeing actual penetration for example

Nah we don't know for sure yet but I see no reason why it wouldn't support PCVR. The openxr extensions for it already existed and they provided us a sample with generative legs a year ago that runs on PC.
I disagree.

As you mentioned there is the initial requirement that the app running on your PC to uses the OpenXR runtime. Currently 90% of VR games on PC don't meet this requirement. Based of my own research, I think its unreasonable to say that VAM 1.X will ever work with OXR on Oculus with these features through simple modification, it would only be possible with an upgrade to a newer unity version and Oculus SDK version. Its possible that someone could develop a separate dummy OXR runtime that might be able to run at the same time as VAM and communicates with it using a plugin but that would take a lot of work and probably come with a lot of other drawbacks that might make it not worth it at all.

We haven't seen any PCVR games that do use OpenXR implement these newer features that have been available via link for Q2 and Pro (hand+eye+face tracking, passthrough, movement SDK ect.) even if the games use the features in their standalone counterparts and that's because Meta has greatly exaggerated that these features "work for PCVR" using their own methods.

Passthrough over link had been out for over a year and was completely broken and unusable because it dropped you down to 2 FPS on the headset as soon as you activated it on top of several other issues making it difficult to getting it working at all. You can see on the Oculus forums, devs were reporting the issue and there was no help from anyone at Meta to get it working. I'm not even sure if this has been fixed yet.

Just take a look at the whole PCVR section of their forums, Meta is not providing any support for these features on PCVR to developers and is clearly not actively working on improving them. I assume this is intentional to push devs and users to make and buy the standalone apps instead where they can take the 30% cut of the revenue from their quest app store.

With all that said, I'm sure Quest 3 will still be an excellent headset for PCVR and VaM because of the new lenses, resolution and decoder. And it will still be possible to use the passthrough via VDs chroma key method although that's far from perfect MR. VD+VAM will likely never work with the dynamic occlusion or room meshing since the headset doesn't get any depth information and the passthrough feed and mesh is never sent to the PC. Its just a shame we wont get to take full advantage of a lot of this more advanced hardware the headset offers.

If anyone gets a Quest 3 and tries it with VAM, please provide some feedback here.

We all want to know if the Quest 3 experience is a big Wow! (for VAM) or just a little bit better quality/speed/view.

To me, VaM on quest 3 looks a lot sharper than it does on Quest 2 for sure. Haven't tried passthrough. I'll say medium wow for now. Maybe i'll say big wow once I try passthrough.

To me, VaM on quest 3 looks a lot sharper than it does on Quest 2 for sure. Haven't tried passthrough. I'll say medium wow for now. Maybe i'll say big wow once I try passthrough.
Do you also see performance enhancement? for example, do you think scenes load faster?

Have you tried it ? I will receive mine today.
Yes the pass through is amazing in Virtual desktop, I find that setting the background colour to blue works best for me, but I guess it depends on the lighting in the room, others have suggested green, or a variation, I guess its something you will have to try and see. but you will be pleased with it I am certain

I have the Quest 3

Could you be specific on how you did that or point me toward some instructions?

Thank you

Back
Top Bottom